The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Intercooler Piping

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drownthecity

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 17, 2008
Villa Hills, Kentucky
I'm in the market for some hard piping. The FMIC that's on the car now didn't come with the upper intercooler piping. I'm on a moderately tight budget but I would like to upgrade my stock UICP for something solid. Is there any cheaper alternative than paying the $200+ for a couple pipes?

I'm in the market for some hard piping. The FMIC that's on the car now didn't come with the upper intercooler piping. I'm on a moderately tight budget but I would like to upgrade my stock UICP for something solid. Is there any cheaper alternative than paying the $200+ for a couple pipes?

how is the piping routed any pictures? need a little bit more info. you could always custom make your own. :thumb:

Most dsm specific intercooler piping won't work exactly with his specific intercooler. The best bet is to just fab something up.

You don't have any info in your profile. If you need a J-pipe, it can add a lot of cost to a home made kit (If you need one, that PR one is $40 w/free shipping). A stock 1g J pipe is not really a good piece to work with.

If you don't need that, then I find the ebay kits easy to work with. It's just pipes, and if you don't cut the silicone couplers too short, there is a lot of room for mistakes in the cutting of the metal.

2.5" TURBO INTERCOOLER PIPING KIT T-BOLT COUPLE BK/BLUE | eBay

A silicone adapter from your turbo or J pipe to the 2.5" and you're all set. Oh, you'll need the bov flange welded on there too. Or you can get pipe welded to the pipe and connect the bov with a clamp. Works well for me.

From his profile pic they should, it's a long route FMIC that goes through the stock UICP location. Hence why I made the suggestions.

The only upper pipe that they have on that link is a stock upper pipe setup. They do sell an intercooler kit that is similar, but in no way the same thing. That is 95 dollars for a pipe that is made for a side mount intercooler. You will still be using the stock soft pipe from that pipe to the throttle body, and you will still need to adapt that pipe to what existing pipe that he has.

Yup, anything will demand a bit of modifications but for that specific FMIC those will hook up since his is still hooked up to the stock pipes (so they would work with a SMIC specific piping). Granted you are right for the RRE suggestion, but I'm just giving options to either mix/match if he can find them used. Buschur/GReddy and Dejon are full hard piping from stock location to throttle body elbow. RRE and Dave Brode are just a cheaper alternative for the passenger side pipe, to be completed with Dejon's S pipe for example.

Used piping like I mentioned can run you between 50-150$ depending on how lucky you get so savings are considerable if you can find one used.

Well the way I have it set up now, the existing hard IC piping connects after the smashed part of the stock piping, kind of inside the fender. I'm not sure of the diameter off the top of my head. 2.25" or maybe 2.5". If it's the stock diameter, couldn't I just install a stock side mount UICP "upgrade" kit?

I will look into all the places that have been mentioned in this thread, but I don't want to pay too much for some silly pipes :)

Muffler shop made all my lower, piping to accommodate my Same-side FMIC for 50 bucks, mandrel bent, and beaded ends. I had mine done in Mild steel, but many offer Aluminum, and SS for a higher price, and it was done in an Hour. If the shop makes it there is a good chance you'll have less couplers than an "off the shelf" ebay special. which results in less chances of a boost leak.

I will definitely call up my local muffler shop tomorrow :) sounds like a good deal to me!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back