The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Intake Manifold comparison. Jmf street vs ported cyclone.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keltalon

Supporting VIP
Jun 29, 2003
Luthersville Ga, Atlanta, Georgia
I have been a big fan of the cyclone intake manifold for quite some time now and have been more than happy with how it has performed on my car. Here is some information on what I have done to it to get it to flow to my liking. I ported it so that it will accept a 70mm S90 throttle body I also did extensive port work on the long runners so that it flows a little better up top. Thus far I have put down 665whp and 573wtq.

I acquired a Jmf street sheet metal intake manifold and have been holding on to it for a while and up until now been hesitant about putting it on the car. I have search all over the internet and found no comparison of the jmf street manifold to any other manifold to see just how the power band look on the dyno. Well curiosity has gotten the best of me and I have decided to remove the cyclone and install the jmf street to see how it works with my current set-up. I have mention this to a few dsmers and have gotten mixed views on how its going to change power band , kill low end and so on.

I started this thread so that there will be at least some information of the jmf street on the forum and a comparison for the street warrior , jmf street smim vs stock. stay tuned results will be posted with an overlay dyno comparison of my current hp output. I am also in the process of upgrading the fuel lines to see if this accommodate my fuel needs if not I will readdress the fuel pump. I am open for opinions on how you think the manifold will affect my powerband. I will do two separate dynos. One with the current bc272s and a future dyno with an upgraded cam so as to match the manifold with a cam that will be best suited for the manifold. I have always been a big fan of a balanced set-up and well know that when you change something like an intake manifold it affects a whole lot of other stuff so stay tuned while I play around with the changes hopefully i won't have to put the cyclone back on because of dissapointment with the jmf street :thumb:

What size injectors and base f.p are you running for that much h.p on e-85.

I am running FIC 2150s and current base fuel pressure is 43.5 psi. I was told that I am pushing it with 665 and stock lines and I agree. I have already purchased most of the line upgrades I am still searching for an extra 2g sending unit, the reason is if the line upgrade is not enough I will modify the 2nd sending unit for a dual pump set-up.

I have search all over the internet and found no comparison of the jmf street manifold to any other manifold to see just how the power band look on the dyno. Well curiosity has gotten the best of me and I have decided to remove the cyclone and install the jmf street to see how it works with my current set-up. I have mention this to a few dsmers and have gotten mixed views on how its going to change power band , kill low end and so on.

I've wondered the same things, and have wondered how the street JMF runner length compares to stock 1g intake manifold. When you have a min, could you measure the length of the runners on the JMF?

First off, thanks for doing this with REAL dyno tests.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

How far apart will the dyno tests be? Dyno tests a month or two apart can show pretty different results, even with no changes to the car.

First off, thanks for doing this with REAL dyno tests.

How far apart will the dyno tests be? Dyno tests a month or two apart can show pretty different results, even with no changes to the car.

Well I already have the cyclone posted. I am swapping the jmf on as we speak. It's not a true back to back but will give a general idea as to how the power shifts. I definitely got to get the fuel upgrade done before trying to tune the jmf hopefully this will be completed by the end of next week.

are you doing a dyno run before the fuel upgrade but after the intake swap?
are you concerned that the fuel upgrades will affect the dyno comparison?
just want you to get conclusive data.
keep on keepin on.

Yeah, additional changes other than the intake manifold will make the results less clear.

Nice, looking for more posts, thanks for the heads up on the two, making some big changes to my build.

Can not wait for the result. If the cams are not going to hold you back, I am expecting to see 700+hp but and 50-75 less torque.

The intake manifold will flow differently at certain rpm points so be ready to adjust the boost controller to make a good boost for boost comparison. I saw changes in boost when I did the cyclone vs jmf race manifold. Make sure you get logs from both runs and plot the boost on the dyno sheet to see the change in boost.

are you doing a dyno run before the fuel upgrade but after the intake swap?
are you concerned that the fuel upgrades will affect the dyno comparison?
just want you to get conclusive data.
keep on keepin on.

I am trying to make it a fair boost for boost comparison. I was at my fuel limits with the cyclone@34psi. I am thinking as killa colt stated above the jmf will out flow the cyclone by a large margin in the upper rpm its going to need fuel especially for a boost to boost comparison. So my plans are since I dynoed the cyclone @34psi I am going to dyno the jmf at 34psi. There's no way my current fuel set up will support 34psi of the jmf. Now the fuel upgrade is just allowing me to meet the needs of the jmf so as to keep the A/f ratio the same as the cyclone A/f ratio.

Can not wait for the result. If the cams are not going to hold you back, I am expecting to see 700+hp but and 50-75 less torque.

The intake manifold will flow differently at certain rpm points so be ready to adjust the boost controller to make a good boost for boost comparison. I saw changes in boost when I did the cyclone vs jmf race manifold. Make sure you get logs from both runs and plot the boost on the dyno sheet to see the change in boost.

Yeah been aiming for the 700 for a while:sneaky: Yeah I will definitely post logs.

Kel, how come you didn't opt for a jmf CB spec drag manifold? This is what i was planning on unless i use a 6bolt head then the magnus cast would be choice

Well since my car is mainly a daily driver its just something about the wording
  • street
  • race
  • drag
I was sold on the advertisement of it being street friendly:)
Here's another thing about putting the manifold on the car, its not just to see the power comparison this will be a whole review. I am going to document how it affect my gas mileage, how it is from traffic light to traffic light and so on;) from speaking with the jmf vendor that sold me the manifold, this thing is suppose to have very good midrange power. My turbo with the current cyclone see full boost around 4800 rpm let just say I loose 500 rpm spool up which will put me around seeing full boost 5300 to 5500 rpm this I can live with, considering I am guessing that I will at least pick up 30 to 40 horsepower which will put me at or around 705 to 710.:pray:

Lol Urban you are hilarious! Here is what the sleeper looks like before the intake surgery. She looks very nervous.

Last edited:
Jmf installed now it's time for all the little stuff. Just paid Summitt racing a visit with a nice little list of necessities for completion. I have to, as you already know, relocate the battery to the trunk other than that so far everything is straight forward!

How come you dont get a pc680 and subframe mount it? I have plenty of for a smim and 3" piping

I may go this route I measured and may use the pic 100th still undecided at the moment.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back