The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Installing an Innovate wideband, do I still need an O2 sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgio213

Proven Member
Sep 27, 2017
Massachusetts
So I'm making headway on my build and getting ready to drop the motor back in and get this thing going, last step is getting my ECU and DSM link. To call myself a newbie to tuning and DSM link would be an overstatement, and ill be having the guys at RRT handle the tuning. Anyways on to the O2/wideband. I've read some posts about people installing in the stock location in the O2 housing. If you were to do this, do you still need a standard O2 sensor or can the wideband and DSM link handle that without throwing CEL left and right? My original plan was to utilize a standard O2 sensor on the housing, then weld the bung for the innovate wideband about 24 inches downstream. Thanks for any info, it's appreciated as always.

I burn a single unit, LC2, in the stock location and simulate. Haven't had a failure....yet.
It does get hot there, but so far so good and quick reacting. My experience with them.

If you run the WB in the stock location you may get a more accurate reading but it also may burn out faster. A guy much smarter than I uses a special AEM heatsink bung in the stock location that helps dissipate some of the heat and that seems to keep the sensors alive. Also, same guy always runs two sensors because the stock oem may be a more reliable sensor for idle and cruise.

I've ran in the stock location without issue and simulated. Currently I run it further down by the t case just so I could mount my controller inside. I think the redundancy and heat issues is a bit overplayed at least by what I've had experience with. Plus it frees up an extra input for logging.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back