The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Ideas for weight reduction on a 2g!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmornothing

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 23, 2009
Ishpeming, Michigan
Alright, im posting in here because i really dont know where else to post. Any ways i have put my car on an extreme diet and am running out of ideas for any more weight loss. my goal is to keep a stock looking interior tho i may switch to race seats sooner or later. So far i have done

Stripped the sound deadening
Stripped foam pad off of fire wall
Pulled the thick insulator off inside firewall
Removed Heater core
Removed Blower
Removed AC
Removed power steering
Stripped wiring harnesses of the stuff not needed
Removed all vents from bottom of dash.
Removed rear seat belts
Bought an aluminum driveshaft

That is everything i think, how much weight do you think i have dropped so far? and what else can i pull?

You can start replacing doors/hood/hatch with cf. Remove the crash bars front/rear. +1 speaker items. You can also replace several items of the subframe of a 2g with a 3g linky, replace gas tank with a smaller fuel cell, smaller battery, etc

I've also heard many negative items with aluminum drive shafts btw and reconsider this.

The seats will be a big weight savings. I went from the stock power leather seats to a set of fixed back sparco seats and saved around 100-120 lbs give or take.

The seats will be a big weight savings. I went from the stock power leather seats to a set of fixed back sparco seats and saved around 100-120 lbs give or take.

Yes they are power and leather, i have been looking at switching to some brides that i found, i forgot the exact name of them but they have a carbon fiber back support and they weigh like 16 lbs a piece :hellyeah:

Remove ABS if you've got it.

I was thinking about this also but it brings up a point about safety and getting shafted by someone or the insurance company. If your car is not a DD and you are willing to take the risk,and loss, then removing the ABS and bumper supports is a good start for weight reduction. But remember in a panic stop situation ABS is going to save you in more ways than one. And when the crash investigation team looks into it and finds that you removed the ABS and crash bars the insuance company and god forbidding, the lawyers are going to have a field day with you. Even if the accident wasn't your fault the other guys insurance company will look at limited payout if they can find reason to not pay becuase you modified the vehicle in a way that could have saved them money.

I say this not to sound like your mother but I am still dealing with paying medical bills and co-pays from an accident that happened over a year ago for me and I have really good medical insurance. I fight with the insurance company on a weekly basis to get medical care and thankful that no one else was injured but me.

You can start replacing doors/hood/hatch with cf. Remove the crash bars front/rear. +1 speaker items. You can also replace several items of the subframe of a 2g with a 3g linky, replace gas tank with a smaller fuel cell, smaller battery, etc

I've also heard many negative items with aluminum drive shafts btw and reconsider this.

Can anyone confirm if these parts fit th 2g AWD?

Got my car down to 2900 with me in it by removing the rear seats, carpet, all emission crap, ac, power steering, spare, spare jack holder , front crash bumper, rear wiper blade and motor , spoiler.... think thats bout it stock front seats for now :)

Oh yea and all factory seat belts all together they weigh bout 30ish pounds

Cheap chinese aluminum. Poor manufacturing. Poor bonding of alum to steel yoke {not always necessary}
not a big fan of alu driveshafts. no one ever considers they are larger in diameter so even though they weigh less very well may have the same or more flywheel effect {inerta}

As far as weight reduction. A daily driver with no heat? LOL. Dude...if its a daily driver a few lbs of weight isnt going to make 2 ####s worth of difference.

UNSPRUNG weight is where you will save. Shave the lbs there. 100lbs above the spring? big yip. Turn the boost up half a pound and you have made up for all the shit you didnt throw in the garbage.

Its just my personal distaste for gutted slow ass cars. Why gut a car? To me a car with all its shit intact that is fast is whats impressive.

I started a build recently going for low weight... Take an angle grinder, remove the rear seat bucket and remove the spare tire well. If you don't carry a spare, you don't need it anyway. Replace the trunk floor with a riveted aluminum, fiberglass, or carbon fiber panel. Get an aluminum fuel cell and remove the stock gas tank.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

UNSPRUNG weight is where you will save. Shave the lbs there. 100lbs above the spring? big yip. Turn the boost up half a pound and you have made up for all the shit you didnt throw in the garbage.

Its just my personal distaste for gutted slow ass cars. Why gut a car? To me a car with all its shit intact that is fast is whats impressive.

+1 Removing an ounces of weight here and there for having a loud, ass car that is still slow, and for what to freeze your ass off in the winter, and roast your nuts in the summer?:aha: Hey if thats your trick, but what happens when your done with your car and the next person gets it? Its posts like this, and people like you that are destroying these DSM's. Replace some parts with carbon fiber here and there, remove spare tire, but I hope you keep some of the parts to put back in...

Removing ABS, crash supports, are you nuts? How about getting light weight smaller rims, going with a CF hatch with lexan, CF doors and hood, those things will save a lot more than removing carpet, plastic panels, and things that might save your life.... Get a nice properly installed 5 point harness and ditch the airbags and get a momo wheel? I plead for you to do your weight reduction with a little care:hellyeah: Goodluck!

+1 Removing an ounces of weight here and there for having a loud, ass car that is still slow, and for what to freeze your ass off in the winter, and roast your nuts in the summer?:aha: Hey if thats your trick, but what happens when your done with your car and the next person gets it? Its posts like this, and people like you that are destroying these DSM's. Replace some parts with carbon fiber here and there, remove spare tire, but I hope you keep some of the parts to put back in...

Removing ABS, crash supports, are you nuts? How about getting light weight smaller rims, going with a CF hatch with lexan, CF doors and hood, those things will save a lot more than removing carpet, plastic panels, and things that might save your life.... Get a nice properly installed 5 point harness and ditch the airbags and get a momo wheel? I plead for you to do your weight reduction with a little care:hellyeah: Goodluck!

Ever have a bigger person get in your car and you notice that its slower off the line? And handles bad in the corners? You cannot tell me that weight reductions dont count for something, i have 450 lbs out of my car as of today, and i can bet that if i drove it right now i would feel a differance in the way the car behaves. So what happens once i get some nice light weight wheels and maybe some carbon fiber? its going to be even crazier. This car is a summer car, a once every few days driven car. I dont need heat, Dont need AC, the blower might suck not being there but hey, crack a window and your golden. Besides, with the time i have into this thing i have ZERO intentions on ever selling it. I have always wanted a Drag inspired car i can enjoy on the streets. What is it to you people what i do with my DSM? The ones who support me, thank you. The ones that dont, you do not need to post on this! :thumb:

I understand the principle of weight reduction, I am not saying there isn't anything wrong with making our fat ladies sing, but I would hope that you would focus on the things that would save the most weight and then work down to the things that only remove a pound here or pound there. Top down theory.
Crash supports, ABS, even that little foam thing behind the front bumper are there for safety. You don't see guys at the drag strip removing saftey items to go faster, its usually the other way around.

As far as what you do to your car, I guess I care what anyone does to their DSM as they are part of the representation of the community. I don't ever want to see our cars viewed as just another Honda because someone guts out their car to shave a tenth off their quarter when they are running 15's to begin with (not saying yours runs 15's).
I agree with the kawgomoo in turning the boost up :thumb: with the supporting mods. Good luck!

Lol at all you slow guys giving advice and and throwing in your opinions on car gutting. Guess what a dsm is. Another economy pos that people in 2010 now view you as a poor ass because you drive a stock mid 90s car. These cars are mostly weekend cars/projects now. If you actually knew what it takes to go fast in one of these cars you would automatically know that you need to do everything you can to reduce weight to keep your built transmission from shearing teeth and your drive train from exploding. So for those of you that say just raise the boost , please dont give advice any more. The OP wanted ideas for weight reduction not your thoughts on why you dont like it.

To the OP : in the passenger rear wheel well, follow the fuel fill down to a brace. Take that brace off along with the bolts. Thats like 2-3 lbs. You can also get a hole saw and go to town on the fuel tank stay. Then the glove box is also very heavy, and looks surprisingly clean when gone, and gives more leg room to the passenger if you have a passenger race seat.

Lol at all you slow guys giving advice and and throwing in your opinions on car gutting. Guess what a dsm is. Another economy pos that people in 2010 now view you as a poor ass because you drive a stock mid 90s car. These cars are mostly weekend cars/projects now. If you actually knew what it takes to go fast in one of these cars you would automatically know that you need to do everything you can to reduce weight to keep your built transmission from shearing teeth and your drive train from exploding. So for those of you that say just raise the boost , please dont give advice any more. The OP wanted ideas for weight reduction not your thoughts on why you dont like it.

Couldn't agree with you more :thumb:

Unsprung weight is best.

Fidanza flywheel.
Balance Shaft Removal.
Light weight driveshaft.
Delete ABS it is rather shity and doesnt work well. It is a very very poor safety feature for poor drivers.
Track Lites or similar wheel. Several options are available and you can cut around 15-25 LBS per wheel.

Other than that, sound deadning material in the cabin, radio, speakers, CF hood, hatch, hoods, etc. Lighterweight seats. Removing the lower portion of the back seats or upper portion based on perfernace can still leave a clean look.

To the OP : in the passenger rear wheel well, follow the fuel fill down to a brace. Take that brace off along with the bolts. Thats like 2-3 lbs. You can also get a hole saw and go to town on the fuel tank stay. Then the glove box is also very heavy, and looks surprisingly clean when gone, and gives more leg room to the passenger if you have a passenger race seat.

Thank you for backing me up on that! And thank you for the advice! At the moment i am in the middle of stripping out all of the wiring from things i have removed and will no longer need. Suprisingly i hit 15 lbs in wire so far and there is quite a bit more to go, next step is doing a chromoly cage, seats and harnesses.

Removing ABS, crash supports, are you nuts? How about getting light weight smaller rims, going with a CF hatch with lexan, CF doors and hood

I would feel a lot safer driving a car around with out ABS and without front and rear crash supports than one with carbon fiber doors

...Then the glove box is also very heavy, and looks surprisingly clean when gone, and gives more leg room to the passenger if you have a passenger race seat.
Totally forgot about this. Both the glove box and the same area on the drivers side are made of steel for some odd reason. Probably weight ~5lbs each and does look very clean with the extra leg room :thumb:

If you have a sunroof you can replace the glass with a carbon fiber replacement.

Also when you remove the abs, also remember to remove the trigger wheels from the hubs. This is also some sprung weight, same principle as the flywheel/rims

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back