The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Major Major Weight Reduction - 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPHunter

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 3, 2004
Winnetka, California
So, I wanna Talk Major Weight Reduction, I don't really see a thread that talks about what to do after you've removed everything that bolts off your car. I wanna talk Custom Fab. stuff. Stuff that i might be over looking, I've done A/C delete, Stripped Interior with 1 racing Seat, Carbon Fiber Hood, Carbon Fiber Hatch, Carbon Fiber Doors ( on the way), Lexan Windows, Light weight wheels, What else am i missing? I know of a Couple Tubular K- member, and rear Diff K-member , Fuel Cell, One Piece Front end, Maybe a Rear Tub. Anybody Have Pictures of a Tubbed DSM? I'm just looking to see what else I'm missing.

You can drop 20lbs with a motorcycle battery.

An EXT20L motorcycle battery is under $80 shipped and starts my car in -5 degree weather. Much cheaper than a "racing" battery with very similar weight reduction and all the juice i need.

what are your goals with the car. if its a track car remember that your going to be adding in a roll cage and other track required features that will add back some weight.

My car is an AWD '90 Talon and weighs in at 2265 lbs. with plenty of weight left to come out. I can give some details if anyone's interested.

im pretty sure the 90-94 dsm's are 3200-3300 lbs. or is yours gutted? (phil1320)

im pretty sure the 90-94 dsm's are 3200-3300 lbs. or is yours gutted? (phil1320)

:toobad: He got a factory freak.

Phil do tell us, please.

I'll be shocked if the OP went to all CF body parts and lexan and forgot the damn battery. :confused:

Does anyone think before they post stuff up anymore? WTF

:toobad: He got a factory freak.

Phil do tell us, please.

I'll be shocked if the OP went to all CF body parts and lexan and forgot the damn battery. :confused:

Does anyone think before they post stuff up anymore? WTF

:applause:ROFL

Very true, I have a Small Race battery. But i would like to know how to get an AWD down to 2200 pounds, hey 2400 would make me happy :pray:

2300lb AWD DSM sounds to me like tube chassis, lexan and carbon fiber. No way this can be achieved on an OE 1g chassis. MAYBE with a carbon fiber/tin interior and back/front halfed tube chassis. But that would not constitue an OE chassis....

2300lb AWD DSM sounds to me like tube chassis, lexan and carbon fiber. No way this can be achieved on an OE 1g chassis. MAYBE with a carbon fiber/tin interior and back/front halfed tube chassis. But that would not constitue an OE chassis....

Phil can chime in with his specifics, but he's still on a bone stock unibody and subframes as far as I'm aware. He does have a fiberglass hatch, lexan back half windows, and I believe a fiberglass hood. You can check out Joe Bucci's pictures to get an idea of what a 1980 lb FWD 1G looks like. That translates pretty closely to Phil's weight given the difference between a FWD and AWD car. Bear in mind also that Phil's car doesn't have a cage and Joe's did.

Pictures

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/152448818-post1426.html

i would like some tips Phil, my car is 2800lbs with appearing full interior, a 90 awd with an hx40 setup.

Still all glass and all metal, want to do the sound deadning soon not sure if its worth it.

Honestly.... I don't know. Haven't taken it to the scale since I did the windows and carbon fiber hood and hatch. Ill take it once the doors are here and on

Aluminum Dash will save some weight for sure. My awd car with the driver weighed just under 2400lbs. Its completely gutted, with an aluminum dash, lexan, and 12 point chromeoly cage. i have two seats though(gotta have room for the girlfriend LOL) Nothing on the car is carbon fiber

Nice, I think to make this thread more informative everyone should post what they have done to their cars (assuming they want to contribute) along with the weights.

I'd contribute but my car was 2950, not too light compared to you folks.

I'd like to here more about your car too 945.

My personal goal is to have a lightened DD car.
With the new chromoly front subframe and with vassil making a lot more chromoly pieces we should all be able to drop weight pretty good.

Aaron

I'm also waiting on Vassil to make a tubular K member. I hope it's soon. My goal is just to shave as much weight possible, and put less stress on everything.

Has Anybody cut the rad. support bar... the one the oil cooler sits on. (Kinda looks like this \_____/ ) The one that looks like a big U and replaced it with a piece of mild or chromoly steel?

If its the one with the wiring harness running thru it its actually pretty light.

I understand this is for 1gs but it can apply to the 2g as well. I am all for a sheet metal trunk. I have been wanting to do that for a while. I wonder what that saves though. I never did find a number.

On a side note my goals are custom sunroof that is removable like a 1g but made of carbon fiber.
Sheet metal trunk.
If they ever make a tubular sub frame for the front and rear. I know a guy who can make it but i dont have that kinda cash laying around.
Cfdoors and hatch.

Set of Recaros would be like a wet dream but once again i dont have 800 laying around for a seat. If i could only find an Integra type R around with the doors unlocked:thumb:

Set of Recaros would be like a wet dream but once again i dont have 800 laying around for a seat. If i could only find an Integra type R around with the doors unlocked:thumb:

aww come on bro, we can't stoop to the level of the honda/acura owners. way too much theft in their part of the woods, glad we aren't plagued with their breed of owners

Haha im just playing but they are such a nice seat. I cant get over them. They are more comfortable then any seat ive sat in and you can pick them up with two fingers. Thats about the only think i like about a Type R

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back