The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Major Major Weight Reduction - 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can we get the last 3 useless post deleted from here please?

This was a completely informative thread until those 2 popped in, this can get deleted also.

A member on the link forums will be making a tubular K-member for the 2G and said he had access to a 1G also.

Has Anybody cut the rad. support bar... the one the oil cooler sits on. (Kinda looks like this \_____/ ) The one that looks like a big U and replaced it with a piece of mild or chromoly steel?

Thats how the support is on my car.. Check my Raven build thread in the drag section. (dont wanna clutter this thread with my pics) but for the most part I think its what you're lookin for.

On a side note. Anyone have a number for the weight difference between roll up windows manual vs electric?

Thats how the support is on my car.. Check my Raven build thread in the drag section. (dont wanna clutter this thread with my pics) but for the most part I think its what you're lookin for.

On a side note. Anyone have a number for the weight difference between roll up windows manual vs electric?

I'm in the process of doing this now. Will post pics when it's complete.

Also..Don't forget brakes.

I replaced my electric windows with manuals when I put carbon fiber doors on. The weight difference is significant, about 5lb each since the manuals do not have the motors, wiring harnesses, or an extra bracket.

- Strip out unused wires from the wiring harness, there's a few pounds for a bit of sweat equity.
- Cut out the rear seat tub and replace it with carbon fiber or sheet metal floor ~30lb
There are some pics in my crazy radiator thread showing some of these saw mods:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/382654-rear-mount-radiator-relocation.html
- Cut out the spare well and replace with carbon fiber or sheet metal ~25lb
- Remove the bumper supports
- Replace sunroof with CF or fiberglass plug
- Remove the under carpet sound deadening mats (they're amazingly heavy)
- Remove sound deadening tar. Some people use dry ice, I used xylene:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/382834-removing-sound-deadening-tar.html
- If you're really serious get a carbon drive shaft
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/389552-carbon-fiber-drive-shaft-specifications.html

Oh and get a scale to measure the weight on each tire and see how well you're doing:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/handling-tech/390421-inexpensive-race-scales.html

Here are my specs. 1991 GSX AWD weight 2730lb with 1/4 tank of gas and no driver. Full cage, race seat, partial dash

No rear hatch, no glass except windshield, partially gutted doors and hood, stock 16 inch wheels, 93 dual piston brake upgrades. This is a track only car ( chump car ) and most everything is removed. I cant see how you guys got your numbers so low.

I can lessen the weight by removing undercoating, more wires ( I no longer have headlights or marker lights or horns ). Lighter battery, lexan windshield, more of the dash and removing a bit more sheet metal from inside car. But I figure another 150lb at best. That gets me to 2580lb

Last edited:
I have to jump in and say update your profile with your mods..Because there is no sense of removing all this weight if your not going sumwhere with the car..Also put pics in your gallery because I have to see the car in a better than 1 square inch picture..

You could consider acid dipping to thin out some metal pieces, it's done in different forms of racing. The price really varies though, from outrageous to affordable for a well off enthusiast.

I'm in the middle of tearing out alot of unnecessary items from my 1g to lighten it up. After going to the shootout this year it really got me crazy about weight savings. I pulled the whole dash and steering column to get at the evap canistor and sound detening off the fire wall. I am in the middle of taking out the cruise control box and wires. I deleted abs bit now I need to remove the wires. Im trying to think of what else I can remove as I'm pretty much down to the bare floor. I will post some pics in a bit.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back