The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

How to remove and inspect, clean valves?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolin4Ever

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 24, 2005
Moses Lake, Washington
Timing belt slipped (oil on tbelt). I did hear some tapping when the engine was running, so I suppose valves were touching pistons (is there anything else that sounds like that?). But the pistons look good to me, maybe slightly scuffed on the intake side. When I poor some liquid into the intak side, some leaks out over time on cylinder 2. The other valves don't hardly leak much at all. This head was rebuilt not long before this happened, that's why I am trying to do all I can myself with it and avoid machine shop unless I have to. I want to find out as much as I can on my own first.

I want to remove my intake valves and inspect them, clean carbon off of them if they are not bent. The head is off the engine, cams are off and so are the lifters, etc. Now it's just the valves, held on with the springs. So how do I remove the 2 intake valves? Do I need to put the same valve back in the same spot? Anything else I need to know let me know :)

When I re did my head, I put them back in the same slot they came from.
I'd reccomend the valve spring compressor tool most our vendors sell. I rented a generic one from an auto parts store and it was a huge PITA.

What I did was flip the head so the valves are on top. Then use a light on top and look through the intake and exhaust ports to see if light shines through. I have 3 intake valves that were out of round. Replaced then and lapped valves. Another light test and then poured water into the combustion chamber for a few hours to see if water leaked through.

I was told water was too dense, use gasoline. Make sure cams are removed.

If they start to leak immediately, then you have a problem. Should hold for a while. Mine was there for a couple hours

Attachments

• received_521293172040010.jpeg
    received_521293172040010.jpeg
    423.7 KB · Views: 80
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back