The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

How to remove balance shaft rear bearing???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Or you can turn the BS around like your putting it in backwards and that will work too.

I just did this last weekend and tried both of the above. They both aided in removing the bearing, but using the method below would have been much easier.

This is the method I used to install the new bearing. I went to Auto Zone and rented a bearing driver. I happen to have some really long threaded rod (M8 I believe), so I used it in conjunction with the #2 driver (the different sized drivers have different associated numbers). I put a nut and large washer on the threaded rod, put on the driver, then put a large washer and nut on the other side. I then centered the rod in the hole and tightened the nuts down. This made installing the rear bearing very easy. Just make sure not to hammer it in too far.

Then for the front bearing I used the supplied handle (no need for 3' of threaded rod).

Here's a picture of the bearing driver kit I rented.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you can turn the BS around like your putting it in backwards and that will work too.

This one, it's an old trick some of the more hardcore dsm guys use. Just make sure the face of the shaft is perfectly straight onto the bearing, don't pound on an angle or you'll kill the bearing. If you do it right, it only takes a few light taps to pop it right out, then rotate it and tap it back in.

I just did a write up on this showing how I do mine (its awaiting approval) all you need is a 32mm socket, hammer, paper towel, and extenisons. I hope it gets posted because it shows you how to remove and install them with just them 4 things.:D If you need some pics I will send them to you with a short how to.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back