The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G how to remove the cylinder head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1995 talon

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 14, 2011
Grand Forks, North_Dakota
I need to remove my head and im 17 and i dont know what everything is under the hood. i know the basics but thats about it. i know your supost to label and what not but im in a rush. i have school in a couple weeks and need it down. i have a extreme knock and think its a vavle i have 30 in cylinder 4 145 cylinder 3 120 cylinder 2 and 80 in cylinder 1.
I want to leave the turbo man. on and the intake as well. Thank you Austin

Befoe buying a long block, why not pull the pan and check things out. The low compression may be from a blown head gasket. If the bottom end checks out ok, then pull the head and check out the gasket and the valves. Not out any money that way.

Uhm... Nothing? its the same engine.

As far as tools, full set of metric from 10-22 in wrenches and sockets. Pliers/Screw Drivers/Hammer/Breaker Bar/ Cheater Bar/ Engine Hoist etc.

I would replace the timing belt and water pump since the motor is out and easy to access. Though if it is from a running car nothing is "necessary." It just depends on if you know where the motor is from and how well it was taken care of before coming into your possession. If I have the motor sitting there, I would replace anything maintenance-wise I could. I.e. gaskets, timing belt, water pump, all timing components, etc.

You ran the car out of oil, it has a loud knock now, and you think "shavings" flowed out with the oil..... and you don't want to pull the oil pan to see how much damage you have?

What am I missing here? :)

This is hilarious ROFL

If you're looking at swapping the engines out, it can be done within a day no problem just depends on how many bumps come along the way. The worst to deal with if you're taking the engine and tranny out together which it seems most people recommend, is to get the axles out of the way. After the axles are out of the make sure you label everything and where every bolt/wire/sensor/small baby goes and then just pull it right out and drop another one in it's place. If you want to do everything correctly, then the timing belt and water pump should really be swapped out.

looking back at this i laugh! i learned so much from pulling the motor and just growing up! almost been a year and now im buying a car with blown motor and bad tranny and going to build it! crazy how far i have come

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back