The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

How to BLOW UP your OIL PAN!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuroDriver

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 3, 2007
Dade City, Florida
Yes, if you have taken interest in this thread.. You read it right. My brother-in-law and I managed to detonate the oil pan off during a not-so-routine gasket replacement. It hurt... LOL

First let me you guys know that the ORIGINAL reason was to change the crankshaft seal. I had oil leaking from somewhere and I did a little bit of reading about it. It seemed like a lot of oil and it's impossible to see without the timing belt covers and pulleys off. I made an educated guess.. crankshaft seal. I knew the pain of dismantling the car because I had already replaced all the belts. :ohdamn:

I accepted my fate and bought the part and dismantled it. Along the way, we noticed that the oil was not coming from that seal at all. After we cleared up the timing belt. We identified that the two cam seals were broken. There was the leak. :ohdamn:

We figured since we were already doing 3 seals, screw it... let's do the pan too. No leaks! This way I can safely build my engine. :thumb:

Well the pan was "sealed" on to the engine with that industrial strength mitsu-liquid gasket. I was the first to pop this cherry. Oil pan empty, we loosened all the bolts and attempted to gently knock the pan off. We all know that it couldn't have been that easy... after all, I was replacing a semi-good gasket. :hmm:

We decided to use a torch to heat up the gasket into releasing... :aha:

Before we did that, we cleaned the engine face. YUP, brake cleaner. Like most of you, I like to clean as I dismantle and assemble. Makes it easier to find leaks in the future and now. What we didn't realize, was that the removed crankshaft seal left a nice "reservoir" for the brake cleaner. The crank seal seats inside it usually. :rolleyes:

Here's when shit hit the fan.. ROFL

Everything clean, I start to take the torch to the oil pan. Yeah.. if you've been following this so far.. it ignited. It looked like an oil fire because of it's slow creep. We both thought that the brake cleaner was gone and dry.. EXCEPT, WE DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE RESERVOIR. (located by the crank shaft.)

"Hey, man.. I don't think this was a good idea"

"Why, what happened?"

"It caught fire, hurry man.. put it out!"

He proceeded to blow it out.. He managed to blow it into the reservoir of brake cleaner.

BOOM!

Flames shoot past him, engulfing half his face. (by the drivers rotor) The oil pan blew off with the detonation caused. (underneath) I got oil "shrapnel". Hot oil got me (underneath)

I will say that this was INCREDIBLY EFFECTIVE if it was safe to reproduce.

I looked like i jumped on an oil grenade :mrt: and he looked dazed :confused: from the experience.

The down pipe held the pan in place. It got a small dent on the lip from flying off. Nothing major and we got the pan off in record time, by anyone's standards.

We continued... still not together... parts.. :banghead:

I will post pics, if I got any good ones. Sorry I won't have any pics pf the explosion aftermath. :D

WoW, glad no one was hurt. And yes, pretty effective way to remove a stuck part. Just hope that alot of that force of the explosion was used to remove the stuck pan and didn't put excess pressure on your piston rings and blow them out as well ;( But yea, next time maybe use an industrial strength heat gun? There electric and no open flame. And they get just as hot. Or just don't blow on open flames?

I believe your the first one to clean your car and end up with it dirtier than when you began.

Even though it pushed the pan off, you don't know how much it pushed against the pistons and the rings from the bottom. I would if only to be sure. I'd hate for you to get it back together and find out you busted a ring.

Yea, explosions are quick. So you have to think about how much pressure built up before the oil pan blew off. In a matter of a second or two it could get pretty high. Piston rings are built to take explosions from the top not bottom. If you had the oil drain plug undone as well and still managed to blow off pan the pressure build up was so great even having the oil drain plug being undone wasn't enough of a pressure release. But again, very impressive way to remove a stuck part. I for sure will remember this post for a while;) Made me giggle.

No problem. It could be like over boosting. You don't know how much pressure the motor took from the explosion. :) But nice to see you're safe and sound. I wanna see pics now though. XD

LOL wow that's classic......now every time when I do an oil change to my car all Ima think about is exploding oil pans

I just have to ask... before your bro went to blow out the flame..... did he say "hold my beer?"'

glad no one was hurt and your car survived.

I doubt you will have ring issues or bad ring lads from that lil pop to get the oil pan off.. cylinder temps and pressures in the combustion chamber are much higer than what you did with the brake cleaner and torch....

I have heard of people inflating tires in the arctic with very flammable aerosols before but never heard of anyone removing a oil pan in a similar fashion. Wish I could have seen this in person.

I have heard of people inflating tires in the arctic with very flammable aerosols before but never heard of anyone removing a oil pan in a similar fashion. Wish I could have seen this in person.

Alot of tractor trailer drivers use this trick. I saw it at an road stop gas station one time. The tire was loose around the rim, they proceeded to spray a ton of ether in it, then hit it with a lighter. The "boom" from it was nuts. As soon as it expanded the other toothless wonder shot it with air to make sure it held on the bead. Pretty crazy.

BTW, I'd recommend a gasket scraper or a flathead screw driver next time.

PICS! Gonna figure out how to put more...

Attachments

• IMG_3752.jpg
    IMG_3752.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_3761.jpg
    IMG_3761.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_3762.jpg
    IMG_3762.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_3770.jpg
    IMG_3770.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_3778.jpg
    IMG_3778.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 262
Alot of tractor trailer drivers use this trick. I saw it at an road stop gas station one time. The tire was loose around the rim, they proceeded to spray a ton of ether in it, then hit it with a lighter. The "boom" from it was nuts. As soon as it expanded the other toothless wonder shot it with air to make sure it held on the bead. Pretty crazy.

BTW, I'd recommend a gasket scraper or a flathead screw driver next time.

By the way, they use a similar method in professional shops. They have a small compressor tank with a release valve and a nozzle. Fill it up with air. Then they put the nozzle between the rim and the tire and hit the release. 100 psi rushes into the tire. It swells and seats the bead, then they fill it up the rest of the way. :)

By the way, they use a similar method in professional shops. They have a small compressor tank with a release valve and a nozzle. Fill it up with air. Then they put the nozzle between the rim and the tire and hit the release. 100 psi rushes into the tire. It swells and seats the bead, then they fill it up the rest of the way. :)

Cheetah Bead Blaster

Thats a new way to do that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back