1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Hood vent installation and CF hood painting

Posted by snowborder714, Oct 28, 2009

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. ceedawg

ceedawg Supporting Member

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    laurelton, New York
    I gotta figure something out like putting a small cover in the opening or something. Car is not a DD and I dont have a garage. I think part of the exh mani is exposed as well as the radiator. My headers are wrapped so the last thing I need is for the headers to get soaked with the wrap.

ceedawg

2K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. vaughn scherf

vaughn scherf Probationary Member

Joined Oct 25, 2015
    Grand rapids, Minnesota
    I personally would have faced the scoop forward I like that look better

3. lasershark

lasershark Proven Member

Joined May 17, 2013
    over yander, Idaho
    ^^Defeats the purpose and function of venting air out of the engine bay though... ;)
    on a different note, I like some of these thread bumps sometimes... Get to see some threads I probably never would have stumbled upon!

3K  5

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    If you had a top mount intercooler like Subarus do then sure but to vent the air you need t to be pulled out not push air in, you will lower temps quicker and more effectively by drawing it out

Road Race Build 9K  10  55

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    175 whp · 180.1 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  5. GSLENK

GSLENK Proven Member

Joined May 25, 2011
    DC, Maryland
    I have a vented hood. No issue with rain other than the exhaust manifold and CHRA are rustier than usual. But not much worse than what I have seen in some non vented bays. I should have had them ceramic coated. The manifold was autozone rattle can ceramic painted, but the center section was not... :( Looks like another project for another day. Nothing else is affected as far as I can tell.

4K  6

1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  6. vaughn scherf

vaughn scherf Probationary Member

Joined Oct 25, 2015
    Grand rapids, Minnesota
    Good point that makes more sense I never thought about performance

7. ceedawg

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    laurelton, New York
    Yep this is why I need to figure on some kind of cover for this thing as I am a big fan of the vented hood.

ceedawg

2K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  8. GSLENK

GSLENK Proven Member

Joined May 25, 2011
    DC, Maryland
    I can see a few problems with a cover (if it is to be used while driving, and not only when parked).

Sealing against the hole water tight. Will require pressure to seal, which doesn't work well on CF hoods. I imagine rubber seals will not like the heat in that area.
    Routing/drain water away from the hole. (not too bad if you plan on running the car to temp right after letting pooled water in.
    Quick release mechanism. Don't want to be there for days installing and removing.

I just don't see it realistically happening. Perhaps make a heat shield for the manifold and ditch the wrap?

4K  6

1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  9. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    If you got a fp mani then you have can get a cover for it, so thats an easy fix, tubular is a little trickier though

Road Race Build 9K  10  55

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    175 whp · 180.1 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  10. DSM98GSX

DSM98GSX Proven Member

Joined Apr 16, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    My venting on my hood is so extreme that there are 5 rows of louvers. I don't have a single large hole like the vent here, but a large amount of smaller ones. I figured while driving, a coated mani shouldn't be effected but if I ever stop and it's raining I'll have to use a waterproof "blanket" to throw under the hood to cover the mani and turbo with a "remove before flight" key tag LOL.

2K  5

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    10.135 @ 144.00 · 2G DSM
  11. ceedawg

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    laurelton, New York
    The cover would not be used while driving only when parked. Guess I should have clarified that. The intention was never to drive with the cover on nor drive the car in bad weather.

ceedawg

2K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  12. backroach

backroach Probationary Member

Joined Apr 22, 2016
    Kingston, Florida
    What has been a difference in engine temperature

13. ceedawg

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    laurelton, New York
    I would have to say a big difference heat from the radiator and mani now have a quick escape route ,fans radiator and engine have to love it. Like driving with the hood open. This would work even better with an undertray creating high pressure in the engine bay and the vent in the low preasure area on the hood letting All that heat out.

ceedawg

2K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  14. Ferp

Ferp Proven Member

Joined Sep 14, 2014
    Edmonton, Alaska
    The vent on the evo is completely open faced (really just chicken wire to keep rocks out) and a ton of rain and snow get in there and I've never had any issue with rusty bolts on the manifold or the turbo or heatshield or anything. If you drive your car through a shallow puddle it'll get way more water on your cars motor than the rain from the vent will.

829  0

1996, Mitsubishi, Lancer Evolution GSR
    manual · Lancer Evolution
  15. crackajak18

crackajak18 Proven Member

Joined Sep 13, 2008
    Ft Bragg, North Carolina
    Paint looks great. Way to revive the dead.

16. ceedawg

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    laurelton, New York
    This thing works so well that the coolant temps are running low 180s in the winter and hover between 186 and 180 degrees when driving in the NYC spring. I must mention that my front bumper is vented, and DIY undertray, and I have ducting as well. The whole combo works excellent with keeping the motor kool.

I usually just put my car cover to keep rain out or when the engine is gold I just open the hood a cover the entire motor and exh mani with a plastic garbage bag and close the hood over it. Both ways work like a charm and no rust.

ceedawg

2K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM