The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Hood vent installation and CF hood painting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I gotta figure something out like putting a small cover in the opening or something. Car is not a DD and I dont have a garage. I think part of the exh mani is exposed as well as the radiator. My headers are wrapped so the last thing I need is for the headers to get soaked with the wrap.

^^Defeats the purpose and function of venting air out of the engine bay though... ;)
on a different note, I like some of these thread bumps sometimes... Get to see some threads I probably never would have stumbled upon!

I personally would have faced the scoop forward I like that look better
If you had a top mount intercooler like Subarus do then sure but to vent the air you need t to be pulled out not push air in, you will lower temps quicker and more effectively by drawing it out

I have a vented hood. No issue with rain other than the exhaust manifold and CHRA are rustier than usual. But not much worse than what I have seen in some non vented bays. I should have had them ceramic coated. The manifold was autozone rattle can ceramic painted, but the center section was not... :( Looks like another project for another day. Nothing else is affected as far as I can tell.

If you had a top mount intercooler like Subarus do then sure but to vent the air you need t to be pulled out not push air in, you will lower temps quicker and more effectively by drawing it out
Good point that makes more sense I never thought about performance

Yep this is why I need to figure on some kind of cover for this thing as I am a big fan of the vented hood.
I have a vented hood. No issue with rain other than the exhaust manifold and CHRA are rustier than usual. But not much worse than what I have seen in some non vented bays. I should have had them ceramic coated. The manifold was autozone rattle can ceramic painted, but the center section was not... :( Looks like another project for another day. Nothing else is affected as far as I can tell.

I can see a few problems with a cover (if it is to be used while driving, and not only when parked).

Sealing against the hole water tight. Will require pressure to seal, which doesn't work well on CF hoods. I imagine rubber seals will not like the heat in that area.
Routing/drain water away from the hole. (not too bad if you plan on running the car to temp right after letting pooled water in.
Quick release mechanism. Don't want to be there for days installing and removing.

I just don't see it realistically happening. Perhaps make a heat shield for the manifold and ditch the wrap?

I can see a few problems with a cover (if it is to be used while driving, and not only when parked).

Sealing against the hole water tight. Will require pressure to seal, which doesn't work well on CF hoods. I imagine rubber seals will not like the heat in that area.
Routing/drain water away from the hole. (not too bad if you plan on running the car to temp right after letting pooled water in.
Quick release mechanism. Don't want to be there for days installing and removing.

I just don't see it realistically happening. Perhaps make a heat shield for the manifold and ditch the wrap?
If you got a fp mani then you have can get a cover for it, so thats an easy fix, tubular is a little trickier though

My venting on my hood is so extreme that there are 5 rows of louvers. I don't have a single large hole like the vent here, but a large amount of smaller ones. I figured while driving, a coated mani shouldn't be effected but if I ever stop and it's raining I'll have to use a waterproof "blanket" to throw under the hood to cover the mani and turbo with a "remove before flight" key tag LOL.

The cover would not be used while driving only when parked. Guess I should have clarified that. The intention was never to drive with the cover on nor drive the car in bad weather.

What has been a difference in engine temperature
I would have to say a big difference heat from the radiator and mani now have a quick escape route ,fans radiator and engine have to love it. Like driving with the hood open. This would work even better with an undertray creating high pressure in the engine bay and the vent in the low preasure area on the hood letting All that heat out.

The vent on the evo is completely open faced (really just chicken wire to keep rocks out) and a ton of rain and snow get in there and I've never had any issue with rusty bolts on the manifold or the turbo or heatshield or anything. If you drive your car through a shallow puddle it'll get way more water on your cars motor than the rain from the vent will.

This thing works so well that the coolant temps are running low 180s in the winter and hover between 186 and 180 degrees when driving in the NYC spring. I must mention that my front bumper is vented, and DIY undertray, and I have ducting as well. The whole combo works excellent with keeping the motor kool.

I usually just put my car cover to keep rain out or when the engine is gold I just open the hood a cover the entire motor and exh mani with a plastic garbage bag and close the hood over it. Both ways work like a charm and no rust.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back