The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

head gasket weak link?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
Im pretty sure I lifted my head this past weekend. Car started to overheat and was pouring out white smoke. I took the head off and the headgasket doesn't show any signs of being blown. While I was removing the head bolts, though, the front bolts were pretty loose while the rears were extra tight. Leads me to at least assume I lifted the head.

I'm having the head checked for being warped and cracks right now. My current set up is a stock 6 bolt, bastard 20g, FP2 cams, f.i.c 950s, vrsf fmic running an evo 8 ecu with about 20 psi of boost.

At what point does a head lift off the block? Also my real question is, should I go with some arp head studs? I mean I would much rather blow a head gasket, and leave that as the weak link, then blow my motor...

Thanks for any help!

A blown HG is not the cause of a issue, but the result of an issue.

Sounds like the head bolts were not torqued properly.

Yes get some ARP studs, and a a Fel-Pro composite HG 9627PT or the OE

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back