The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Hard getting into 3rd gear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCDGexx

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 27, 2003
Murrieta, California
Ok so when i'm driving, and I try to shift from 2nd to 3rd, it goes to neutral fine, but when I try to push it up to third, most of the time it won't go the first time, and I gotta kinda pull it back a bit and push it forward again, as many as 2 or 3 times. Sometimes it goes the first time, others it takes awhile. Sometimes I can shove it in and others I can't. Anybody know why? It does this SLIGHTLy on 4th gear, but not nearly as bad as 3rd. :confused:

mine was acting up like that as well and i found out that it was the syncros (can't spell sorry) going bad in the transmission, may not be your problem but it was mine. Pull the shifter boot up and look at the linkage in there and see if its dry might want to put some silicone spray on it as well (probably won't fix it but can't hurt to keep up on anyway)

This has been happening to me the last few days too! It goes in but I kinda hafta force it. If i shift lazily it won't go in.. I don't knwo whats wrong :(

Does it do it when the car is off? If it does, have someone put it into gear and watch the linkage to see if it's getting into a bind.

I can't find the link yet but I was reading on here that 1g's are naturally sloppy and I saw that you are suppossed to replace the bushings with metal ones and install a short shifter to help things out. I saw this in one of the VAQ's or tuning guide somewhere but can't find it again.

If the problem doesn't exist when there isn't an RPM load on the car it is probably the syncros. If you are having trouble shifting into the problem gears even at idle it is probably a different issue.

only happens when under RPM load. Not at idle though with the clutch in.

Mines only on the 2-3 shift but the 4-3 is fine, I think I may just be getting lazy or something. Hopefully it will go away.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back