The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Hard time getting into gear!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babiebluboi

15+ Year Contributor
May 25, 2004
San Francisco, California
Just last night, I was driving and all of a sudden when I tried to shift, I couldn't get my shift knob into gear. I pulled over in a parking lot and tried driving again. It won't get into first gear, unless I double clutch it or shift to 2nd then to 1st. When I'm driving and I shift to 2nd, it grinds. I'm stepping on the clutch all the way. I just got a new clutch installed. Some say it's my clutch, others say it's my tranny. What's really wrong with my car?

Sounds like a clutch issue to me, or a problem with the installation. What kind of clutch is it? You haven't updated your vehicle profile yet ;)

Did you get the clutch installed at a shop? Might want to take it in and let them have a look before you start tearing into it yourself.

Shift issues can be caused by a number of things, but the fact that you just had a new clutch installed is probably more than just a coincidence :)

does the pedal feel stiffer than it normally would when your about to shift and then it ends up not going into gear??? If so, I think you might have a bad slave cylinder, my car has this same problem, I have to fight it to get it into gear. When was that replaced last?? If you cant remember or dont know, I'd get one and put it in, for $60, it cant hurt at all. Also, hows your clutch fluid??

You possibly have air trapped in the clutch line or if its a heavier aftermarket pressure plate it may have been to much for the other components of the clutch system (master, slave cylinder, rubber hose) or they didn't fully tighten a fitting. Again if its an other then stock clutch you are going to have to adjust the push rod on the clutch master cylinder. Its my least favorite thing to do on my car. If your a smaller person you'll have a bit less trouble but nevertheless its very uncomfortable.

And yeah if the shop did it have them fix it.

mujgy

My clutch fluid's kinda dirty, but at least it's not low. The clutch does seem kinda stiffer when I try to shift. I changed the clutch MASTER cylinder sometime last year, but I the SLAVE cylinder has about 91k on it.

It's not my tranny though, right? I'm worried that it is cause that's going to be expensive and I already owe almost $5Gs just to fix the car so far.

I would completely flush the system and see if it still happens. When you say all of a sudden you had trouble, it implies you had been driving around for awhile heating up the fluid and the moisture in the fluid creating gas bubbles. Changing the slave cylinder doesn't hurt either. Take it apart to see if the seal has failed or if theres bad scoring on the cylinder wall/piston.

mujgy

babiebluboi said:
It's not my tranny though, right? I'm worried that it is cause that's going to be expensive and I already owe almost $5Gs just to fix the car so far.

Nah, I don't think it's your tranny. Would be too big of a coincidence if it were. (But I guess you never know w/ these cars :rolleyes:

Run it by the shop that installed the clutch and have them take a look.

Are you able to shift through the gears smoothly (or at least more smoothly) with the car OFF?

If you were still completely unable to shift into any gear with the car off, the problem might be w/ your shifter cables where they hook onto the transmission. Still, I think you should take it by the shop and have them take a look at it. it's possible that something wasn't installed correctly, and it will probably be a simple enough fix. :)

If there are no really bad noises coming from your transmission itself, I think you're probably okay. The shop will be able to tell you with more certainty, though. :)

babiebluboi said:
Even when the car is off, it's still a little bit harder to shift though...hope that's not that bad...

Well it will still be a bit notchy because the gears aren't moving so the syncros have a bit of trouble aligning but it should still be able to go into each gear. Adjust your pedal, I bet that its not fully disengaging the clutch.

Yeah I would say the trans is fine. Look for any leaks. Also did it have shifting problems at the shop? But I would say that most of your problems will be solved by flushing your clutch system and adjusting your pedal to be back in factory specs.

mujgy said:
Yeah I would say the trans is fine. Look for any leaks. Also did it have shifting problems at the shop? But I would say that most of your problems will be solved by flushing your clutch system and adjusting your pedal to be back in factory specs.

Nah, I didn't have any problems shifting at the shop. How do you flush a clutch system? And how do I adjust the pedal back in factory specs?

I once had the sam problem, and went through similiar problem solving. I suggest before you start ripping into the cylinders to check your shifter at the tranny, I too was once driving, then all of a sudden i went to go into second, and it wouldn't go, then it got stuck in second when I got it to go in. I had the clutch in all the way too, I always carry tools with me, so my mechanical instinct was to check the clutch master, and slave, but no leaks, then I checked the fluid level, and it was were it was supposed to be. I was kicking myself in the rear end thinking what could it be, being that it was my first time owning a dsm, and coming from the almighty aircooled clan of the VW's, this shifting setup was different... so I didn't know it used cables. Well got the car home, and made some calls to the local dealers for advice, shifter cables is what I got for a reply, and sure enough... that's what it was, got a new set, and then it shifted beautfully! so definitly take the given steps, and as well check your shifter cables, at the tranny end.

You bleed the system just like brakes. There is a bleeder valve on the slave cylinder. Get a helper and a Brand New bottle of DOT3 brake fluid at least a quart. Get a piece of 1/4 hose i think about a foot long. Get a small container (like a small peanut butter container) make a hole in the top for the hose to go through.

Put some new fluid in there and put the hose on the bleeder valve. Loosen the valve with a box end wrench so you don't round the corners on the valve. Have your help push the clutch pedal. It will stay on the floor. Close the valve, have them pull the pedal up. Repeat. Check the fluid level in the reservoir every few times so it doesn't go dry, otherwise you have to start over.

There will likely be a bunch of black crud coming out the system keep pumping fluid through the system untill it comes out pretty clean.

As far as the pedal adjustment goes there should be about 1/4 to 1/2 in of free travel on top. And it should fully disengage the pressure plate about 2 3/4 in off the floor. You have to lay on your back and loosen the jam nut on the master cylinder push rod and turn the rod to adjust the pedal play. It really sucks, have a good flashlight.

Your slave cylinder has 91k on it, I think its time to replace it, sure bleed your fluid too, but im telling you most likely in this situation, since your pedal stiffens, its going to be the slave cylinder, this same exact thing happened to me 2 days ago, i put a new slave cylinder in her yesterday, and now shes shiftin like a champ.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back