The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

hard time getting it to shift

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sycosys

Probationary Member
Jan 5, 2009
Port Washington, Wisconsin
Hey everyone I'm new to this sight seeing as I just purchased a 97 GST and felt it would be a good idea to join a forum for any thing that I might not be able to figure out on my own (a helping hand never hurts). So here are all the details that I know about the car and the current issues I'm running into. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

It's a manual 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
Mileage = 108,000
A/C was taken out
New ACT clutch
New Intercooler with all new piping
New koyoto radiator
New 3" cat back Exhaust with custom down pipe and 4" muffler
New 255Lph HP Walbro fuel pump and filter
New fuel injectors
New Bosch spark plugs
New AR60 turbo
New slave cylinder
New oil lines for turbo
Eibach lowering springs

Now for the problems, first of all the main one it that I'm having a very hard time getting it to shift and when I have to put it in reverse it makes a thump and sometimes it wont even go into first gear but if i turn off the car then put it into first gear and turn it back on it will go but it sometimes requires quite a bit of force to get it into any of the gears but only when the car is turned on, for this reason I have stopped driving the car. I think it may be the clutch because I have to push it all the way to the floor to disengage it and I don't think it is fully disengaging all the way that's why I have to force it into gear. As far as the engine there is a small oil leak some where above the turbo and am not quite sure where it's coming from. The engine sounds fine when the car is in neutral and even when i push the clutch all the way to the floor but the second i go to try and push it into 1st gear the engine slows down like it's catching on the first gear even when the clutch is all the way in. One of the other problems is that when the car is at 6000rmp's or so and i put it in neutral to brake it will sometimes die, I'm thinking it might be the idle sensor. And the last problem is there is a loud squeeking noise coming from the front left wheel, that might be a lower ball joint or could it be a ball bearing?

Once again I would appreciate it if any one could give me any input to help me solve any of my problems, and thank you to those of you who actually take time to read this.

well first i think you should bleed your lines. check your master cylinder, and im guessing the oil leak is your head gasket

As far as the oil leak goes check all the hoses going to the turbo and i would recomend resarching the possible areas where oil is most likey to leak from and do your diagnosing from there, and if its your head gasket there should be other signs that its bad like milky looking oil, exessive smoke and poor engine performance

I do this for guarantied oil leak finding, go to auto zone and buy engine dye, it costs around $5 and power wash the motor and let it run until it is fully warm. Do this a couple of times and you will find where it is coming from. The most common places on DSMs are the oil return line from the turbo. A lot of times if the head gasket is leaking you will have a smoke issue but not always.

Ok well i bled the lines 5 times than i even took it to a shop to take a look at it and one guy told me he thinks its the clutch. Now im really stumped cause the slave cylinder seems fine also.

For the oil leak problem check to see if any of your oil return or oil feed lines are loose or if there is a crack on any of the lines.

You said it had a new slave. Did the shaft on the master that goes to the clutch pedal get adjusted when it was replaced or before to account for the bad slave.Look on the top of the clutch pedal and adjust the bolt so the cluch enguages before it hits the floor witch means screw the nut twards the firewall so the bottom part of the pedal comes out more.It sounds like all you need to do is adjust the clutch pedal and put new crush washers on your oil and water lines. hope I helped any questions on adjusting the pedal pm me.:thumb:

With the oil leak I would have to agree with checking the return line from the turbo or even perhaps the gasket. But as for the tranny problem if its only having trouble with 1st and reverse I would have to say synchros.

Well I'll try adjusting the pedal and thanks for all the help. And it isn't just 1st and reverse its all the gears. And as far as the oil problem its not my main concern till i get the car moving first, but i will check some of the things you have told me. Thanks alot guys and ill let u know soon.

Wow now I'm encountering another problem, when i go to start my car I just hear it click a bunch but it wont start. I had someone jump it once and it worked but then i tried jumping it 4 more times and it did noting just made the same clicking sound really fast.

Hmm Did you wait long enough to let the battery get some change on it... The clutch and gear issues are improper master cyl adjustment

Hello! and welcome to the forums! I actually think its the clutch itself. For the clicking, if the battery has 11+ volts it should start, but if it doesn't, the starter is bad...As for the oil, its probably a return line or feed line. Like stated, try the auto zone oil leak dye test.

OK sorry for not posting in a while well I found out it was just the battery so I replaced that and now it starts fine. As far as the clutch not fully disengaging I'm going to try to adjust the pedal tomorrow so i'll let you know how that goes. I did recently notice something else that my car is also backfiring now, any ideas on that problem?

about it not going into gear that same thing happened to my 97 gst i had to keep bleeding it every other day untill i fried my clutch and changed it.

Ok yesterday I went out and tried something that i thought might work and it seems as though it did im just worried about it being a temporary fix instead of what needs to be done.
So what i did is i saw this rod that was attached to the clutch pedal and looked as though is could be shortened or made longer by tightening or loosening the nut so i loosened it to make it longer and it worked i can now shift fine, but shouldn't there be a lock nut on the other side cause there is nothing besides the one nut i loosened there. So i took is for a drive it seemed to shift really smoothly but then i heard this really faint almost grinding sound it was extremely quiet and now i don't know what that is I thought that now since i adjusted the pedal that maybe the clutch isn't fully engaging cause i do not here the sound when the car is in neutral but i do hear it when i press in the clutch about half way when im about to shift out of neutral then the sound goes away when i fully push the clutch in.

Well firstly you sound like your having the exact same problem as my 91 TSI. When I went to examine my master cyclender I noticed a bit of fluid around the boot, so I'm going to replace that and the slave cyclender while I'm at it. So maybe you could try the same and it may help, I dont know. Another thing is, on top of the transmission the shifter cable linkage sits there with an adjustment screw, which could help make your transmission shift more smothly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back