The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

GSX or GS-T?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGruff

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 22, 2002
Greer_SC
K looking into trading in my NT eclipse for the real thing. I finally got all my parts picked out and i am ready to go..but. I need the car first. Now i have the money to get either a GS-T or a GSX. I know the GSX gives your more traction but more parts to break. The GS-T is oposite. so what should i do guys? Your opinions are needed. Here is a run down of my Parts Wish List.

Engine

Free Mods
NGK spark plugs
Mag 8.5m Wires
Injen Intake
Lightweight Pulleys
Greddy BOV
Joe MBC
VOD Boost and EGT Gauges
Lo-Tek Dual A-POD
HKS TT
Apexi-N1
Hi-Flow Cat
Eliminator 02 and Down pipe Combo
Ported Exhaust Manifold
650c injectors
Extreme Fuel Pump
S-AFC
Greddy FMIC
Big16g Turbo, Ported and Clipped.

Suspension/wheels/Apperence

18x8 Konig Tantrums 225/40/18 712’s
Eba Pro Kit Drop
KYB Adj Shocks
Carbon Fiber Tail lights

i, for one, am a big fan of the twisties. you can ask Reg'imeDSM 'bout that :D . well anyway i was wondering if an awd would work with that or would i be better with a fwd. Reg'imeDSM we gotta get some video of it. in these twisties im talking hairpin corners at like 55-65mph or more, pulled it off with the n/t so im leaning to fwd but i want some speed on launches. gimme some feedback. any comment would be greatly appreciated.

I prefer AWD for many reasons. No wheel hop, no spinning tires (very rarely), excellent handling, and safety. I always feel extremely safe in my gsx because of the AWD system. I would go with a gsx if I were you.. perhaps you should test-drive both and see what you prefer.

Didnt you ever think to keep your N/A car and turbo it? for the price you will pay for a turbo car (about $3000 more than your N/A car would sell for) you could just buy a turbo kit for your car and be running the same amount of HP as a stock turbo car. Plus your insurance will be cheaper by a lot and you wont have to worry about crankwalk at all but...you wont have AWD, but i also know people running high 11s and low 12s w/ FWD. just a thought...check out these turbo kits and tell me what you decide

http://www.hahnracecraft.com
http://www.turbogs.com
http://www.newedgeracing.com/turbo_Kit_Updates/nER_Turbokits.htm

ha. if that keeping the car comment was directed toward me i can tell you that i wanted to keep that car so bad. last febuary i got into a 5mph crash (estimate) when the dick in his limited edition Mazda MP3 decided to use our developement as a track and was pulling laps. i came to the end of our road which has a sharp turn and i could see him roll through the stop sign on the other side, i nailed the brakes as he apexed but it wasn't enough. well stupid me not knowing WTF to do leaves the scene with the guy and before i know it my dad makes a deal with the guy that i was to pay the damage (so my insurence wouldn't go up, i guess my dada was gonna claim responsibility onm my part before he knew the story). anyway i settled to pay half the damage and sold my car to pay for it (the 'rents wouldn't help me out there). now i drive a '94 nissan sentra E, yay, i've spent more money on this POS than on the eclipse and i had to get that eclipse running. but get this, 2 days after i pay the guy he gets into a head on collision, took a right hand turn into the wrong lane. fun $hit huh?

Racing stoplight to stoplight, the GSX will win.

If the race goes to a high speed, like 80, 90, 140 ;), the GS-T WILL walk it down

Racing from a 45mph roll on the street? GS-T

Get a full exhuast, turbo, injectors, dual stage controller...you'll be prety quick

Go with the GST

it seems a lot of people are biased towards AWD cause they drive em or cause there's a mystique around em. i tried to find a GSX. if you want a 97-99 in good cond. gotta go thru a dealer and PAY. i found a few at dealers for 17k to 20K with low miles. every private seller was owned by a kid and beat to s*#@.
so i went with a GST.

here's the lowdown from a impartial perspective:

GSX weighs 300 lbs more

GSX gets better traction in the take off (though my friend Joey has a 1G Talon with 10K in it and it still leaves rubber even with AWD)

both have wheel hop just different kinds.

GST requires more skill to launch well.

on a roll it's anyone's game. all depends on driver skill, mods, and sure will.

for the guy thet likes the "twisties" yeah the GSX will handle better in the quick turns.

GSX is safer if you live somewhere where it rains a lot or if you drive it in the snow.
but you also have to worry about all around tire wear. no rotation to save tires.

Attachments

• dsm_web.jpg
    dsm_web.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 3,693
K so I bought my 95 GSX about 6 months ago, no problems until just recently. The big "C" left me stranded on the road calling for a tow. C as in "crankwalk" for those who don't know. Anyways, it's all better now for about the next 5000 miles, until it needs repair again. Now, I love my GSX and I don't want to have to sell it. Does anyone have any ideas about what I could do to modify it or even a good engine swap???

you could check on www.dsm.org
i remember at some point seeing a whole bunch of stuff about crank walk. it's a common problem so i'm sure someone has some kind of solution. club dsm is probably the best place to look.

either there or www.vfaq.com
and try the FAQ locator there.

I have a GS turboed and am now dealing with wheelspin issues. I SOMETIMES wish I had a GSX, but still an happy with the performance. Like others have said, a GSX from light to light, but a GS-T from a roll.

GSX's are QUICKER

GS-T's are FASTER

Originally posted by green95hrcgs
I have a GS turboed and am now dealing with wheelspin issues. I SOMETIMES wish I had a GSX, but still an happy with the performance. Like others have said, a GSX from light to light, but a GS-T from a roll.

GSX's are QUICKER

GS-T's are FASTER

Go to MachV.com and they sell polyurethane motor mount insert. I hear those are like the difference between night and day when it comes to wheelspin before and after. You might want to try it, i think they are pretty cheap;)

Oh, my bad, i thought u said "hop", need to read better. Well, you could always go the LSD route!!!:cool: :D

I like AWD better. I luv AWD cause when it aint racing season no more i put rugged tires so my car would be more rugged the a
chevy avalanche. My car would go on mud, sand, snow, and mountains all way when i put on my rugged tires so take this from me : GSX rugged when u need to and hella fast when u need to.

I think GS-Ts are alot funner maybe its just cause I luv burning out i dont know, But GS-Xs do have great launchs but I'm a fan of passing cars in the long run. I'm not gonna lie I wanted a GS-X but i fell in luv with my GS-T. But I guess thats just me and everyone tells me GS-Xs have alot more drivetrain problems but if all u care about is winning the race go with the GS-X simply because most people dont know how to drive GS-Ts. I dont mind being the only guy with an eclipse that lays sick rubber

Ok most 1995 4g63's with a production date in 1994 usually are more prone to crankwalk. Also cars don't cause wheel hope drivers cause wheel hop you just have to know how to drive the car. I have a 1995 talon tsi (fwd)! When i first got it i wheel hopped all the time. Now that i know how to drive it i never wheel hop!!! (Us city boys know how to race!)

I'll chime in here with the AWD fans. I spent several months trying to find a manual '99 GSX (anything else was gravy), and when one showed up on autotrader, I drove home with it that day. :) Haven't regretted the decision for a minute; the handling alone sold me on it (I've had the car in mountain blizzard conditions, and I wouldn't have wanted to be in any other vehicle at the time), but there's something to be said for an all-wheel drive launch at 5k...:)

Originally posted by diamondstar36

Naa.. even the 3-bolt rear end is pretty strong. There are 1G AWDs running 11s on their stock 3-bolt. Crankwalk happens in a little under half of the 2Gs.. Just check the crank play before you buy any 2G.. if it's even close to out of spec, walk away.

How do you check for "crank play?" If you could explain that would be cool cuz I'm going to be test driving some GSX's in the near future. Thanks! :)

Im planning on buying a 99 eclipse within the next few weeks and those of you who were saying they waanted a gsx but the lowest they could find one was 17k....I only have about 15k...how much you think i would be able to find a 99gs-t for with low miles...??

Originally posted by 99GST

dont listen to him. he is a #@%#@%#@%#@%ing idiot. any engine can get crankwalk. Just make sure you stay away from 95-96. they have the highest percentage of 2g's that crankwalked....with 99 being the best year.

Don't listen to him he doesn't know #@%#@%#@%#@%. Early 95 was made with the same block as a 94. Meaning less possibility of crankwalk. 96-98 has the most cases. 99 being a "resolved" year. If your affraid of crankwalk then don't get an upgraded clutch and if you do get crankwalk then put a 94 7 bolt in or do the 6 bolt swap. :cry:

Originally posted by twiste

Yea, BOOM! there goes your tranny. Just more parts to break.

Awww... he must be jelous because he couldn't get an AWD model. Poor fella.

Wheel spin, its a factor in the life of a transmission as well. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back