The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

GSX or GS-T?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGruff

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 22, 2002
Greer_SC
K looking into trading in my NT eclipse for the real thing. I finally got all my parts picked out and i am ready to go..but. I need the car first. Now i have the money to get either a GS-T or a GSX. I know the GSX gives your more traction but more parts to break. The GS-T is oposite. so what should i do guys? Your opinions are needed. Here is a run down of my Parts Wish List.

Engine

Free Mods
NGK spark plugs
Mag 8.5m Wires
Injen Intake
Lightweight Pulleys
Greddy BOV
Joe MBC
VOD Boost and EGT Gauges
Lo-Tek Dual A-POD
HKS TT
Apexi-N1
Hi-Flow Cat
Eliminator 02 and Down pipe Combo
Ported Exhaust Manifold
650c injectors
Extreme Fuel Pump
S-AFC
Greddy FMIC
Big16g Turbo, Ported and Clipped.

Suspension/wheels/Apperence

18x8 Konig Tantrums 225/40/18 712’s
Eba Pro Kit Drop
KYB Adj Shocks
Carbon Fiber Tail lights

It's really up to you. I prefer AWD. I'm sure some will say they love FWD( I don't know why ;) ).

GSX - For light to light
Beat GST from a stop

GST - for highways runs
Beat GSX from a roll

I prefer the GSX ;)

=^.^=

depends on what year too.. some of the 1st generation got 3-bolt rear end axles or something like that and break easily causing lots of headaches. 2nd gerenation anything turbo u get crankwalk. whatever u prefer to deal with.

The only reason I could possibly say AWD is because of wheelspin. Say you're playing around on the street with some 5.slow, or you're on the track racing it up, wheelspin will kill you if you aren't completely used to the new clutch you got or what not.

Originally posted by eXploitedGST
2nd gerenation anything turbo u get crankwalk. whatever u prefer to deal with.

dont listen to him. he is a #@%#@%#@%#@%ing idiot. any engine can get crankwalk. Just make sure you stay away from 95-96. they have the highest percentage of 2g's that crankwalked....with 99 being the best year.

As much as I love DSMs, I wouldn't have gone near them if they didn't have awd. I think that you would be better off buying awd, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. I've never heard of anyone who had awd that wished he had fwd.

GSX all the way, aside from the obvious cool AWD factor it helps me personally because i am such a shitty lead footed driver that i get mad wheel hop trying to launch my friends 96 cavalier, and mad rear wheel spin out trying to launch my other friend's 99 BMW 318. with the GSX launches are very nice. heheh.

i definitely agree with niknuk. the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

Alright awesome guys thanks for the input. Looks like its now time to find a freaking AWD. They are hella hard to find unless you wanna go 500 miles to pick it up. O ya the years i was looking at was 99-97. Time to start scouting.

Found a few on Cars.com going to be calling them today some time to get some info. Thanks guys for all of your input.

yeah dude good luck with that! if you don't already know about these, check out autotrader.com also -- as well as dsmtrader.com (although what you buy from there probably won't be stock)

Originally posted by 99GST

dont listen to him. he is a #@%#@%#@%#@%ing idiot. any engine can get crankwalk. Just make sure you stay away from 95-96. they have the highest percentage of 2g's that crankwalked....with 99 being the best year.

I found and 97 GSX modded. I assume the 97 that I am interested is pretty safe from the crankwalk problem, no?

I have heard that the GS_T is lighter because of it's lack of the AWD parts and that it would beat a gsx stock. I also heard that AWD breaks a lot, as far as maintainance waht is the difference? thanks
Also, please explin what crankwalk is.

I know lots of people who have 95-97 AWDs and there cars haven't crankwalked. I just think you have to get lucky. Not all of the 95-96 will get it but most do. Plus they have a lot of higher miles than the 97-99 so there going to crankwalk sooner but give it a few more years and I bet some more 97-99 will start to crankwalk. Also 1G's have been known to crankwalk also but not as much. It usually happens between 50,000-70,000 miles on most of the cars that walk.

if you launch hard a lot you will break more driveline parts on an AWD.
gst is lighter than gsx but does not get as good of a launch that is why people suggest gsx from a stop and gst from a roll.

Originally posted by eXploitedGST
depends on what year too.. some of the 1st generation got 3-bolt rear end axles or something like that and break easily causing lots of headaches. 2nd gerenation anything turbo u get crankwalk. whatever u prefer to deal with.

Naa.. even the 3-bolt rear end is pretty strong. There are 1G AWDs running 11s on their stock 3-bolt. Crankwalk happens in a little under half of the 2Gs.. Just check the crank play before you buy any 2G.. if it's even close to out of spec, walk away.

Yea, even though I drive a GS-T I'd rather go with the GSX. Only problem was that it was a #@%#@%#@%#@%#@% to find a 97-99 GSX with good miles. They're realy hard to find unless you're willing to pay 17k. But hey if you got the money, go for it ! I would prefer a GSX also. =)

think about what you will use the car for as well. If you want straight line, drag speed go with the gsx. But if you prefer to really test your skill and actually turn the wheel get the gst. Even with the mods you have listed the gsx won't be powerful enough for autocrosses and some turns (road races with large radius turns are an exception for the most part.) I say that because the power gets distributed to 4 wheels obviously and usually isn't enough to break the rear tires loose, especialy during an autocross, or on low speed turns. It will make the car seem like the steering lags and I've seen time and time again gsx owners at autocrosses on some road races that can't overcome their understeer problem and for the most part gsx'ers not perform well in those type of events (there are exceptions). So basically have to decide what you want to use your car for and go from there and how quickly you are going to modify your car. Stock for Stock the gst is quicker than the gsx because of the weight difference.

Originally posted by eclipx
well, you can open up a gsx more, bolt ons and what not to lower the spool up time(im learning already), and the differnece on a roll will hardly matter. go w/ AWD imo

also some losses on power in the beginning because of AWD system... so ur not right. because they both run the same 1/4 stock.

as for the question get a GSX because in the long run they will get you a faster better handling car. it all comes down to the mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back