The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Gs-t Convertible or Hard Top

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo0sTeD 4G63

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2008
Miami, Florida
Hello everyone,

I am undecided on whether to stay with my convertible gs-t or get a hard top that I found for a good price. I am trying to build a fast street car and eventually a track car. Which would be better for a track car? I have my motor built and if I decided to buy the hard top I was going to swap my motor to the new shell. Any personal experiences on convertible or hard top would be greatly appreciated.

A GST will be more rigid and lighter. A GST with no sunroof would be even better. Why not get a GSX though so you have AWD...?

I haven't been able to find one. The only shell I have been able to find is the gs-t around my area. If I could find an AWD shell I would definitely go that route. But my question is should I get rid of the convertible and get a hard top or is it not that big of a difference?

The hard top is lighter and more rigid, so it would have a slight upper hand on both street and track. But a Spyder with the top down is a pleasure to drive and turns heads. Your also familiar with your Spyder while the GST could be full of nasty surprises.

And I don't see much point in ditching a FWD turbo DSM for a FWD turbo DSM. I'd suggest finding an AWD hardtop instead, or AWD swapping your Spyder.

There is a very noticeable difference between a hardtop and sunroof car and would be even greater difference between HT and a vert.
I loved my gst hardtop and paid more than I should to get another one. If your headed for performance track car, hartop is deff the way to go. If I were you I would use the gst hardtop if you can't find an awd. You will learn to drive alot better with it than an awd. Plus you well always have the option to swap later if you want.
Unless you got money I would not suggest trying to make a track car from a spyder.

Hard top. Lighter and you won't have to worry about leaks and all of those headaches later on down the road. Having a hatch is also more convenient.

Definitely get a hard top as it is more rigid and I would keep looking for an AWD if you want to build a track car.

Hard top would be better for your proyect. The convertible is too heavy... and if you find a AWD, much better! Good luck!!! ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back