The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G GST hard top to convertible conversion cost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random username

Probationary Member
Sep 10, 2023
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
I have a gst eclipse 2g could I convert it to a convertible and if so how much would it cost

Short answer, you probably shouldn't do it. However, if you chose and do, do this conversion, it is unlikely to be cheap. The rear quarter panels are a bit different around the window areas and rear section of the roof, as the coupe has a hatch-style trunk, and the spyder has a conventional trunk lid. The spyder also has additional structural bracing, inside and outside. Without it, the chassis will flex over time. Also without this bracing, the frame won't be strong enough for the soft top operation, or have a place to mount it. You would also need to consider the windshield frame that also has mounts for the top when up. There's probably some other things I'm forgetting at the moment too. This isn't to say you shouldn't attempt, but rather it would take A LOT to accomplish. Good luck.

No. You cannot change this to a convertible without extensive fabrication knowledge, time and expense. It would be immensely cheaper and yield a better product to just trade cars. There is no practical reason to do this when a convertible already exists.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back