The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Going price for 71HTA + questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bleakley

Proven Member
Jan 29, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
What would you guys pay for a DSM FP 71HTA?

Currently considering upgrading the turbo on my car from EVO III 16G. And am thinking of going with the 71HTA. Biggest question is how it’d compare to a billet 20G?
I initially thought the V1 68HTA was going to be perfect and then I found out what the 71HTA was. Seems to be the exact same as V1 68HTA, but with a different cover.

Looking at getting:
9 or 11 blade Td05h (I know FP only made em with the 11) wheel
FP 080 housing, but will probably swap on the 7cm EVO housing (which is why I was maybe considering swapping to 9-blade to possibly help flow in the 7cm housing, if someone could help me on that?)
7168 compressor wheel only. Do not want the old 68HTA wheel now.
Prefer to have downfiring cover I think.

Do I need to dent water pipe or change anything to run this turbo over the EVO 16G? What’s the recommended oil drain / size?
And did FP make their own CHRA’s for the 71HTA or was it always strictly an MHI?

Spool characteristics / street manners are a big deal to me and am not so focused on a hp number, but 400+ on pump would be preferable. I know from research these things can hit it easy on the E. And 25+ is where these should be ran at.

Are you certain FP offers the 84mm compressor housing with the v1? I wonder if it's only available for v2. The v1s only show up for sale a couple times a year and everyone has jacked the prices up to 6-$800. A couple years ago people couldn't sell the 68 for $450. I saw it happen many times.

edit: I believe the v2 has a different turbine housing, not compressor wheel.

Last edited:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/do-i-have-an-fp-68hta-td06sl2.475126/page-2

Posts #35 and #41.

the V1 68HTA appears to have been offered with 2 different compressor wheels —> One measuring 49/68 and an updated one measuring 51/68 (referred to as a 7168 wheel by FP)
The 68HTA only ever came with a td05h compressor housing EXCEPT when was offered as an upgrade option to go to the 84mm cover —> Michael stated at that point it’s technically a 71HTA. He states the only difference between an updated (referring to 51/68 compressor wheel) 68HTA and 71HTA is the compressor cover and THAT IS IT! Exact same turbo...

I bought a 71hta many years ago. They just came out. At the time fp was claiming they were called a 71hta because they had a 71mm compressor wheel. It turns out a few people Measured them and they are 68 wheels. Mine came with the downfiring housing. I was probably one of the first ones who ordered it, fp claimed they would have to build it for me, the same day I got a tracking number... kinda odd.

Onto the performance, my car pulls extremely hard. The car trapped 123 with supporting mods on 22psi. I’m running about 30psi now via a holset actuator. Not to bench race but according to some runs iv done imo the car is high 120mph car. Full boost comes on around 4K, and it pulls extremely hard to redline. I have trouble believing my turbo is simply a downfiring 68hta based on the performance.

im currently assembling a new trans, I should have some 1/4 mile times soon, I’m confident with my tire setup the car will go 10s easy at 127ish.

Amazing turbo, but it seems too good to be true. Based on performance numbers I think they sent me a internal green with the 7cm turbine. Either that or I can tune the shit out of a car. 21/22 degrees peak advance so I might just tune very aggressive.

I’m having fuel issues with 1250cc fic injectors and an aero motive 340 so the car is def making some jam.

I did not have to dent the water pipe and I’m feeding the turbo 100% mhi cartridge factory, from the head. The turbo has maybe 5k HARD miles, 0 issues

Last edited:
You’re running out of pump on the 340 if you’re running lean. Throw it away. Buy a 525.
You’re only pushing ~250 or ~260lph @ 70psi pump pressure.
In comparison, the 525 is flowing 315lph @ 70psi @ 12 volts. Lol!

Last edited:
Not only pump but injector more than likely also. I have to agree with @Bleakley , get a 525 and you won't run her lean and hurt something. With that much timing, you must be on E and the injectors are kind of small for you, but if they are working, good deal! Get ya some 10's, I'm hoping to.
What is the injector duty cycle telling you?

I didn’t know how shitty my fuel pump flows. Jesus Christ that’s horrible. I picked up a super clean evo 2 That has been taking most of my time, but that’s sorted out for now. I got my trans assembled, should be installed this weekend with a new clutch setup. Going to disconnect the wg and see how the fuel looks like. Most likely I will be getting a whole new fuel setup in preparation for a bigger turbo, but I’m gonna see what this 71hta can do balls out. I will update everybody. The car def feels like it has the mph for 10s (once the track opens back up) Trans should shift fast so we’ll see what happens. Hopefully the learning curve for my clutch setup isn’t long.

71HTA = 68HTA with a surge-ported downfiring compressor cover. I'm not exactly sure that compressor even needs surge porting so unless you're in love with the idea of a downfiring 68HTA for whatever reason you stand to give up a little peak compressor flow to gain surge-protection you may not even need...as that's exactly how a map-width enhancement groove works. You'll hear a little more raw compressor noise but your blow off valve will be quieter as well.

If I had to have a downfiring turbo and it had to be as quick-spooling as possible but still capable of over 400whp I'd build a performance billet 18G or 20G depending on the boost level and fueling I'm looking to run. I'd pair it to a clipped MHI 05H turbine in a 7cm2 housing and a non surge-ported cover to get the most out of whatever wheel I choose. This is also beneficial because should the compressor ever eat something you're not stuck with a compressor housing that only fits a FP-branded compressor that isn't available for public sale.

I've not seen much in the way of hard evidence that the 9-blade turbine can drastically outflow a 12-blade OEM MHI turbine (especially a clipped MHI wheel) as it's still breathing though a 49mm hole. They're nice for spool and response, but being that all 9-blade turbines are aftermarket revisions I'm stepping away from using or suggesting a 9-blade turbine until I see an improvement in quality control unless the customer specifically asks for it and knows the potential consequence- I'm seeing an unhealthy amount of these turbines from other builders losing sections of blades or chunks from the webbing for no reason at all in otherwise perfectly-functioning units...many of which have very little use. In a race to create a lighter, more-effective product with a cheaper price tag it appears that durability has suffered. I still have a small supply of early 9-blade 05H turbines here that I'm hanging onto for the time being, and the 9-blade MHI TF06-07 turbine seems to be fine as well due to it's bulkier/rugged design.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Bump. Finally had time away from the ce9a. I have the built trans in the dsm. Trying to get a bit more fuel. Which daetchwerks 340 will bolt into the factory fuel sending unit? Anybody have a link?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back