1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

exhaust manifold studs

Posted by KTGSXKID21, Jan 25, 2012

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. tmaxx411

tmaxx411 Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2010
    Manasquan, New Jersey

and why would that be? i see no real disadvantages with using them. and the exhaust manifold is cast iron i believe, not aluminum

2. ramsack

ramsack Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2007
    West Lawn, Pennsylvania
    The head is aluminum, and stainless causes aluminum to corrode.

3. nickk90

nickk90 Proven Member

Joined Feb 12, 2010
    st.louis, Missouri
    So you use high temp anti-seize.

567  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  4. ramsack

ramsack Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2007
    West Lawn, Pennsylvania
    Yeah, it's so simple, that's why so many auto makers have done this...not.

5. nickk90

nickk90 Proven Member

Joined Feb 12, 2010
    st.louis, Missouri
    Cost probably plays a bigger part in why auto makers don't use stainless. They dont use Stainless exhaust pipes, down pipes, mufflers or manifolds either so should we not do that either?

567  0

· 2G DSM
  6. ramsack

ramsack Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2007
    West Lawn, Pennsylvania
    Actually, a lot of OEM exhaust pipes are stainless (yes, stainless DOES rust, just slower than plain steel). Manifolds being stainless is the only good example of cost, being a massive part. They don't use stainless hardware in aluminum because of galvanic corrosion.

7. bryanwheat

bryanwheat DSM Wiseman

Joined Aug 16, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri
    Actually some manufacturers DO use stainless steel manifold studs. Ford switched from coated steel, to a stainless steel around 2001-2003 for their 4.6 and 5.4 modular engines. The old ones would rust so bad that they would literally snap and fall out when driving.

8. ramsack

ramsack Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2007
    West Lawn, Pennsylvania
    Good for them. They're either complete dumbasses or they went the extra mile and have the holes lined with steel thread inserts. Stainless steel threaded into aluminum is a bad idea.

9. T is for TURBO

T is for TURBO Proven Member

Joined Jan 15, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Doesn't galvanic corrosion require a conduction solution in order to occur? Like a water, or very salty air (like coastal regions?) Being that it is on the hottest part of the manifold, I would think it stays pretty dry... Maybe I'm wrong though, it's been a long time since I took high school chem.

Street Build 1K  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  10. ramsack

ramsack Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2007
    West Lawn, Pennsylvania
    Unless it's in a vacuum, it's constantly exposed to something somewhat conductive.

11. bryanwheat

bryanwheat DSM Wiseman

Joined Aug 16, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri
    Well it solved the problem with the studs rusting out. If you have ever removed a manifold from a mod motor with the mild steel bolts than you would know that 95 percent of the studs will snap off in the head from being rusted. With the ss studs that doesn't happen.

12. ramsack

ramsack Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2007
    West Lawn, Pennsylvania
    See how they act in 15-20 years...

13. nickk90

nickk90 Proven Member

Joined Feb 12, 2010
    st.louis, Missouri
    Dont most stud have problems after 20 years?

567  0

· 2G DSM
  14. ReYnd

ReYnd Proven Member

Joined Dec 8, 2009
    Deep Water, West Virginia
    I have been using the SSS all stainless kit for a few years now. Used a small screw extractor to remove an old stud that was broken off below the head's surface. Coated the threads of the new studs that were going into the head with nickel anti-seize, installed them, and I foresee no problem.

Even after those 15 to 20 years, I'd say a couple seized exhaust manifold studs (which are stainless, meaning they're very unlikely to give you trouble anyway, even in terms of heat cycling and embrittlement) are the least of your worries. What's there to lose? Maybe strip the head and have to repair it.

That said, the FFWD/ARP set is probably nicer, but I couldn't justify the price difference for a hex broach; the double nut method works fine. There's still an unused bag of OEM studs/nuts/washers kicking around here somewhere...

15. serviceguy

serviceguy Proven Member

Joined May 11, 2002
    Clifton, New Jersey
    I just bolted my exhaust manifold back on. Back in 2003 I used a SSStuds kit (I believe back then they shipped SS locking nuts that I stored in my toolbox and used some regular SS nuts instead, but I am not 100% positive on that, other than I have a set of SS locking nuts in my toolbox whose source is not accounted for). Unfortunately back then I over-torqued one of them and stripped the hole in the head, this time I decided to time-sert (regular inserts, not SS) all the threads in the head (with the exclusion of the lower-center one that plugs in the oil galley) and reused the SS studs. I spiced it up with an embossed copper gasket. I'll let you guys know in 25 years how it goes:thumb: jokes aside, i always used nikel anti-seize and did not have any problem removing the studs. Galvanic corrosion is not a matter of opinion, it will happen. How that is going to affect the bond of the stud with the head and over how much time is another story, Ford probably thought it would outlast the life of their rust buckets anyway! J/K!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014

2K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 1G DSM
  16. danielkile

danielkile Proven Member

Joined Jun 11, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    extream psi has stainless steel arp ones i think, and they are strong and look nice

287  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM