The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Exhaust manifold studs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UndergroundR32

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 6, 2002
NY
Two of my studs that the exhaust manifold sits on have come loose, so I removed them completely. I am anticipating that I'll need to put two nuts on the threads that stick out and use them to slide a socket onto so that I can torque the stud into the block. How much torque should be applied to these and is this the correct way to tighten them in the block?

I have the same ?. I was installing a new Exhaust manny and one nut would not go tight, then the stud came out of the head? Bah anyway, same question.

Have you repaired the threads first? You aren't going to be screwing those studs in until you do. Double-nutting the studs is a good way to get them in there, and you really don't want to torque them in. Just hand-tighten them to the point where they're snug.

Aw, I assumed by "come loose" you meant pulled out when you were tightening the nuts. Well just get them snug and you'll be fine.

UndergroundR32 said:
Two of my studs that the exhaust manifold sits on have come loose, so I removed them completely. I am anticipating that I'll need to put two nuts on the threads that stick out and use them to slide a socket onto so that I can torque the stud into the block. How much torque should be applied to these and is this the correct way to tighten them in the block?

That is how I tightened my new studs in when I did ny exhaust manifold swap. Check a Chiltons or other service book for the correct torque specs. I don't know if I'd personally use the same studs again. You can get new ones at a local hardware store back amongst the nuts and bolts. ACE Hardware by me has a whole automotive nut and bolt section. I'd pony up the 2 bucks and just get new ones if this happened to me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back