The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECUflash EvoScan and EcuFlash tuning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Then its most likely because the ECU is different. I hope you still have the 98(late)/99 one to swap ;)

EcuFlash is free flashing software that allows you to read, modify and write ROMs to ECUs. So far mainly used by Evo and Impreza crowd, seems it has finally gained ability to flash 98/99 ECUs as well. GSXDNA in (http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuning-engine-management/307561-new-ecuflash-1-38-2g.html) thread reports that he has managed to successfully flash the 99 ECU. The only problem right now is that we don't have a tuned ROM to write. EDIT: There might be a problem for now (http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tun...14-evoscan-ecuflash-tuning.html#post151636110). It also seems that there are problems with (early)98 ECUs, so you need a 98(late)/99 ECU to be able to read it.

Unfortunately, this is not true. I spoke with Colby (the guy who is responsible for most of the EcuFlash program development), and he told me that the only reason I was able to flash my ROM back onto the ECU of my '99 GSX is because I made no changes to it. He said that once a change is made to the ROM and you try to flash it back to the ECU, it will not work.

So, I have just purchased an EVO VIII ECU on ebay for $150. With some very minor rewirings, this ECU should be able to run my '99GSX. Then, I will be able to use EcuFlash with no issues. I plan on having this installed by either next week or the week after, so I will keep everyone updated. If I am successful with this, this may be the most powerful tuning solution on the market for the money. Complete control over a mitsubishi factory ECU for under $200!

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, this is not true. ...
That's not so great... But anyway, the information you have found tells us a lot. If the problem is with modified ROMs then there is most likely a checksum somewhere in the ROM.

Or, maybe the modified part is inside/mirrored to the read only memory sector that we cannot touch.

I heard about Evo 5 ECUs and that you can get them to work on our cars with some minor rewiring and immobilizer code tweaks, but since I just purchased my 98(late)/99 ECU, I will keep looking for a solution.

If you can't flash back the modified ROM, then problem is most likely with the ROM.

Anyway, thanks for the valuable information!

Then its most likely because the ECU is different. I hope you still have the 98(late)/99 one to swap ;)

No unfortunately that was totaled a few months back and I have no idea where the insurance company brought it. :(

Evo VIII ECU??? Was that a typo or will it really work? I know about the Evo V but VIII? If so this would be a wonderful discovery!

:dsm:

So, I have just purchased an EVO VIII ECU on ebay for $150. With some very minor rewirings, this ECU should be able to run my '99GSX. Then, I will be able to use EcuFlash with no issues. I plan on having this installed by either next week or the week after, so I will keep everyone updated. If I am successful with this, this may be the most powerful tuning solution on the market for the money. Complete control over a mitsubishi factory ECU for under $200!

If you get this to work, please let us know. I know I said a while back I was going to do this, but just haven't gotten around to it. From what I can tell, all you need to do is switch pins 8 & 22 and it should work. Is that what you came up with?

It would be awesome if this works, ill be interested in it if it does also.

Evo VIII ECU??? Was that a typo or will it really work? I know about the Evo V but VIII? If so this would be a wonderful discovery!

No, that wasn't a typo. Before I decided to try using an Evo VIII ECU, I did quite a bit of searching for why it would or wouldn't work. After all my searching, I found no credible info pointing either way. Two minor issues I am aware of is the injector firing order (I believe they are different from the Evo VIII and a '99 2G), and the engine immobilizer settings in the Evo VIII Ecu (which I have already figured out how to disable in EcuFlash).

So, I called Road Race Engineering to discuss this possibility with them. They told me that the have heard of people successfully swapping an VIII Ecu in a 2G, but have never seen it with their own eyes. They told me that if we can figure out how to get around the engine immobilizer, they don't see why it wouldn't work. Apparently, resistance, voltage, and all that other great electrical stuff (I'm not an electrician!) are the same in both Ecus. I'm supposed to be bringing my car down there either next week or the week after to have them try this.

For me, I am hopefull because RRE has told me that they have personally seen many Evo VIII guys switch out their ECUs for 1G Eproms to run DSMLink...

So...

If a 1G Ecu can work in a 2G eclipse, and a 1G Ecu can work in an Evo VIII, why wouldn't an Evo VIII Ecu work in a 2G eclipse? In the math world, I believe this is referred to as the law of syllagism? ;)

...Results to come soon....

I'm definitely hearing ya man. Most definitely keep us posted. I'm itching to get an Evo VIII ECU as soon as I hear the good news. It's great of you taking the time to try this out. This would be a great alternative to DSMLink (ECMLink). :thumb:

Man I really hope this works. I bought an extension harness for my ECU when I picked up the EVO ECU. I hope that will make it much easier to swap.

It's just a patch harness I bought from Mach V (ECU Patch Harness). I bought it so I don't have to mess with the factory wiring, I can make the changes outside the car, plug it in and go.

Disabling the immobilizer in software on an Evo ECU is very simple: just flip bit four of periphery 0 (FAA) from 1 to 0. After that, you can set the immobilizer value to whatever you want, although I'd suggest keeping a record of it for resale later. ;)

You'll want to familiarize yourself with the current state of Evo ECU tuning if you decide to make the switch; I'd recommend a bit of reading at EvoM's EcuFlash forum as well as the Evo ECU wiki. Specifically, you'll want to do a bit of searching on the specific ROM ID you're working with. Some ROM IDs have an upgrade path that make them more useful or correct specific problems; for example, instead of the 96940011 ROM that came with my '05 Evo, I'm running a 96530006 (an EDM ROM) to free up room for additional code. Other upgrades clear up problems with particular trouble codes being thrown.

Finally, a user named tephra on EvoM has released a set of very useful pre-patched ROMs you can make use of, incorporating NLTS (in addition to the built-in stationary rev limit), live map switching, valet mode, and a few other handy items.

Hope this helps!

There is one thing to note though, the spec of H8 based processors we have in late 2Gs says you can only flash the ECU ~100 times.

Same might apply to Evo ECUs. Then again, 100 flashes is considerable amount.

The "100 times flashing" is only a guideline from the factory. After that they make no claims on whether or not the ecu will be good. Even then you are not reflashing the entire ecu, but just specific parts of the code. For example, if you are just correcting for fuel trims the you are only flashing the injector latency part (dead time). That section will be down to "99 flashes" while the rest (fuel and timing tables) still has "100 flashes."

PS
If anyone close to Corona, CA has a 99 ecu, let me know. I'd love to see this work.

Speaking purely for the Evo side of things: 100 is nothing when you start getting into this kind of thing. When I'm testing something on my Evo, I'll reflash 5-10 times a day, and there's more than a few people on EvoM who have reflashed their ECUs thousands of times without incident.

I can't speak to the late 2g ECU, however.

Edit: and turbolarry is absolutely correct. EcuFlash, as currently implemented, does not reflash the entire ROM, only changed portions, on at least the Evo and pre-CAN Subaru targets.

There is one thing to note though, the spec of H8 based processors we have in late 2Gs says you can only flash the ECU ~100 times.

Same might apply to Evo ECUs. Then again, 100 flashes is considerable amount.

I don't think there is any limit on the Evo Ecus as far as flashing. I've probably flashed my old Evo over 100 times and noticed no issues.

Just to give everyone an update:

I just got off the phone with RRE, and Im just waiting on some parts to get in (16G turbo, piping, etc) which should be there late this week early next week. As soon as those parts come in, ill drop off my car and the Evo Ecu I picked up for them to work on.

Since they are going to put in the evo ecu, will you be getting the how to for doing it yourself? I don't think many care that it can be done as much as HOW to do it. . . Most of us don't have the time, cash to go to RRE :). If we did we would just buy dsmlink and a 1995 eprom. The differences in all the sensors like the maf, and the whole fan control thing is what we'd all need to understand. Is the knock sensor the same, or close enough for the evo ecu to understand it correctly? What pins go where? I know that all this can be experimented with, but since they have the leg work already done apparently, . . . maybe I'm being greedy, but I want to get the details.

^^I'm with him.

If any of the sensors aren't compatible, it'd be great to know how to modify them or replace them with Evo ones. The necessary pinout changes would be great to have detailed as well. Most of us who'd be going this route would be doing it ourselves because of budget constraints and the cost effectiveness.

Thanx, Ed. Actually, I already have that bookmarked. I can do the logical. But as mentioned, it's how the ecu will work with each of the 2g sensors is the info that is needed.

That is an GREAT forum, BTW.

I agree with you guys. I wanted to do this as an ecomical alternative to DSMlink. SO being able to do it myself for ~$200 is great if it works. If I need to change a few sensors, I'm ok with that, as long as I don't start getting up to $500 total. Having said that, I still think ECUflash will be much better for tuning than DSMlink even if it cost a little more than $200-300.

I got on the board and did a search to see what everyone thought of EvoScan. I have a 1998 GST with a 95 ECU (and a 2map keydiver chip installed). Jeff at keydiver recommended this logging software to me and I recently bought it. I am waiting on the cable but while I was reading this thread I noticed that noone ever said it would work on a 95 eprom ecu. So my question is will it work on my 98 gst with my 95 eprom ecu?

EDIT: I also realize that I could use DSMLink...thats what I originally bought the ECU for but I was talked out of it by my mechanic because I dont know much about tuning and I didnt want to wake up one morning and have an issue that I couldnt fix.

So my question is will it work on my 98 gst with my 95 eprom ecu?

Well, we don't know for sure, but please tell us when you get the cable.

Concerning other things, I will not update the article with Evo VIII stuff for now as we don't know about knock sensor compatibility and the rest of the sensors. But that seems a really nice option, so I'm following it very closely when I see something.

I am also trying to reach the Colby to get more information concerning what can be done about H8 CPUs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back