The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

EVO steering wheel conversion with EVO adapter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is a write up to installing an EVO steering wheel with the EVO adapter 2slow4now makes EVO steering wheel to DSM conversion hubs - DSM Classifieds

First, There are 2 ways about doing this, you can either measure it from the hub and sharpie the line around it like pics 1+2 or you can just cut along the hub as in picture 3. pic 1+2 are measured 3/4" and line around the weld and cut, I did the other way and just cut along the hub line I am pointing at in pic 3 and it came out great so its up to you what way you choose.

PIC 1
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

PIC 2

PIC 3

When you cut away the hub sand the cut area till you see a faint line all around the remaining section of the hub then with a socket and hammer tap it out and then clean up the area ready for the new adapter install! I lost my pictures of this part but it is real easy to do.

In pic 4 with the new hub adapter in place it will measure 1 3/16" from the steering wheel base bracket to the top of the adapter, this is the stock measurement and can be slightly over but not by alot! (note you might need a press or you can use a long reach socket and hammer it in place if no press is available) If you do go over you can always sand it down once it is welded in place and you checked the distance with the back cover on.

PIC 4

Before you weld it fully, tack it in place with small tacks so you can still move it around a little and put the rear cover on it to check you have pushed it in correctly and it is straight! IT WILL take you a few tries to get it straight as it will pull every time.

Do not do what I did and forget to get the cleaner out before you weld it as I had troubles and the mig did not like welding it and so I tig'd it as well so sorry for the messy welds! but this is 100% never coming off with ease haha

PIC 5

clean it up and install it all back together and check the distance of the cover and this is when you sand it down to a closer finish!

PIC 6

Thank you Lance for some pictures and the amazing adaptor for a much simpler install. again his link for the adapter hubs are here EVO steering wheel to DSM conversion hubs - DSM Classifieds

Last edited by a moderator:
So I got my steering wheel installed with the adaptor and it all went well.

A few things to point out is when and if you do hook up the airbag you cannot bypass the white connector off your old airbag! and this pic shows you why!!

So you must get the yellow connector off the evo airbag and carefully get the pins out of the conector, its easy to do with a precision flat screwdriver. Then with it all facing forward the left pin goes into the left hole and right to right and then add some tape around it to hold it in place.

And here are a few pics of the wheel installed. and yes i wanted it red to match the interior! some people might not like it but I wanted it to not look so damn plain.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back