The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

How 2 remove stock wheel and retain cruise control with aftermarket steering wheel II

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I realize there is an article very similar to this one but I just wanted to post how I did it. I did it slightly different. I had an Nardi wheel installed on my RS and it doesn't have cruise control so it wasn't a problem for me to install it. But a 2G with cruise control is another question.

First lets begin by removing the stock steering wheel, you will probably want to disconnect your battery also because the airbag may go boom, its never happened to me though. There are for bolts on the back of the 2G monster wheel that I have marked with red arrows. Undo those and the airbag should come out. Then disconnect the the airbag and the horn (its the bullet connector). There should be a wire connected to the center, just undo the clip holding the connector and pull it out.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Your wheel should look similar to this now. Now undo the nut in the center, its a 17mm nut. Put the nut back but only screw it in a couple revolution. This way if the wheel suddenly goes flying off your won't smack yourself in the face with it or something. Now comes the fun part. Getting the wheel off. You can use a steering wheel puller which I've never used or get a deadblow hammer and go to town on it. If your careful you won't mess up the wheel. You can try hitting the backside or pulling up and hitting it through the spokes.

The stock wheel should have some screws holding the rear plastic cover on you'll need to remove those and the three screws holding the cruise control lever to free your cruise control lever. You will need to disconnect it from the clock spring as well. The plastic cover screws are circled red in the picture above and the cruise control lever screws are in blue.

Now you have this dealie called a clockspring intalled behind the wheel. You will need to remove it because you won't have room for it with the cruise control. First remove the steering column covers, there are 3 screws that hold it together and then it snaps apart. Helps if you lower the steering column. After just undo the 4 screws that hold it to the plastic stuff on the center column. Now this is the important part don't cut the wires (that's what I did the on my RS). Look back where the wires from the clock spring disappear into the dash. Yeah they're burried in there but you can get to them. Right around where it gets under the dash is where there are two connectors. It helps if you remove the bottom cover also. It will have 4 bolts holding it on, some are hidden with plastic covers. Here's are picture of those connectors:

Now see that red connector (haha like DANGER don't touch me) is the airbag connector. This one we won't need to use anymore because we don't have an airbag anymore but it must be removed to get the clockspring out. This one is a bi*** to get out if you don't know how to get it out. See there is a GREEN locking tab on the top of the connector. You need to undo that but sticking a flat head screwdriver in there and prying it off. It should snap back and then you can press on the release tab and pull it off (yeah it took me a while to figure that out I kept on tugging and tugging, hard to see whats going on back there). Remove the other wire as well that is the one we are concerned with. Now pull your clockspring out. Should look like this:

Now see the two black wires coming out of the clockspring that go to the cruise control and horn? We need to remove those from the clockspring. Now what I did is I went to the junkyard and found another clockspring and I undid it there so I don't have to mess mine up. You need to get a screw driver and pry the connectors out, you can also cut them too because you'll wind up cutting them later.

They should look like this when you remove them. Now we're going to join these two together. Cut the ends off that look like this, they're the one that connect to the clock spring.

Next solder (you can use crimp connectors if you want also I like soldering its cleaner) the two wires together. There should be 3 wires and they are all the same colors on both sides. They are green with red stripe, blue, and black with white stripe. Now use electrical tape to insulate the work you just did or if you want to be fancy like me I used shrink tubing. Here's what it should look like when your finished:

Now put that aside for now and get that lower steering column cover you removed earlier. Trim the part near the windshield wiper switch, your going to need to slot it so you can slide the cruise control switch in like in the picture. I made a thin slot so the switch will slide through and enlarge the place it ends up at. This way it will clear when you use it. You can just make a bigger slot also too, or cut a big hole to stick lever through. I used a dremel with a cutting wheel to make the slot and a smaller grinding wheel to enlarge clean the cut up. Looks like this when you finish:

Then you'll want to drill 2 holes so you can mount the cruise control. You won't use the third hole anymore, it won't fit also. Then find a some kind of bolt and nut to mount it.

Now you'll notice that your switch may hit your steering wheel hub. You will need to grind your switch at the end with the hole you didn't use. I pretty much cut the hole left part of the switch. Careful not to grind too much. I also grinding some off the part thats facing you. You can snap the front cover of the switch off also if it helps with the grinding. It looked like this when I was done with it:

Now you'll notice that there is a plastic pilar in the way if you try to mount your modified lower cover. This was were your clockspring was screwed into. Since we're not using the clockspring anymore just chop this off. Just get some cutters and snip it down. Even if you wanted to put the clockspring back in later it should be fine with 3 of the 4 screws in there. This picture shows where the clockspring mount is:

Now connect your modified harness if you haven't done so already and route it to where the switch is. Connected the switch and put all the plastic stuff back together. Then attach your steering wheel. Take it out for a drive and see if the cruise control works. :)

Finished product:

See my other write up on how to get the horn working. Oh and if don't want to be staring at the SRS light all the time just yank the bulb from the gauge cluster, that's what I did a LONG time ago. Also realize that now the SRS light will pretty much be on FOREVER because you need some kind of special equipment to reset the light even though you put everything back on.

hi, good evening im trying to instal an aftermarket steering wheel on my 2g where i can see the imagens? thanks,bless

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back