The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

EVO III 16g advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

800_Speed

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 18, 2003
Hampton, Virginia
Okay, so i just blew my "stock" TD04HL turbo, POS! I'm looking at new turbos, got about 700-800 to work with, and the evoIII 16g looks just too good to pass up, 529 + 150 install kit from extremepsi. Anyone else purchased this from them, and if you did how easy was it to install?

I'm thinking about enlisting help from someone in my area who's got a little more experience with their car than I do (that said, if you are in the hampton roads VA area PM me if you could help, i'll hook you up with a good dinner or something, i live right by the new gordon biersch's).

Any info I could get about the turbo, and about extremepsi (haven't purchased from them yet, but thats the best price I found) would be appreciated.

Thanks guys! :thumb:

i'm looking for 350ish somewhere down the road, i don't have the cash to fund everything i need to get there right now... i might give turbochargers.com a try, i looked into slowboy and they were about a grand for the turbo, manifold, and install kit. I've never installed a turbo before so i'm just gonna have to find someone to help around here. What wastegate setup did you guys go with, I was thinking about going external, so I'm not sure if i should buy a manifold that has the cutout already for the external and just do that. I'm not very proficient, so I'm not sure how I would hook an external up with this setup... anyone done it before? If so, what do I need to get with the turbo (besides the manifold) and the install kit?

scottsee said:
I bought my EvoIII16g from them. I have no reservations doing business with them agian

which evoIII16g did you go with, the mitsu one or the GT one? i'm not sure what the difference is

Mitsu. Just run the normal internal wastegate with that turbo. The SBR manifold is a great manifold for the SMC guys. Unless you plan on going with a hybrid/mitsu flanged turbo it's not really worth it in your case, you don't need an external wastegate.. Turbo installs take a while your first time, it took me about 6 hours being extra careful. I'm down to about an hour and a half now from bumper off to bumper on.

Evo's use 7cm gaskets on the turbo, I'd recommend getting the Evo3 o2 housing or porting out the stock o2 housing. Their is alot of metal there, so unless you have a nice MAC/Snap-on porting bit and a good sized air compressor it will take forever to port match the stock o2 houseing to the Evo3. Alot of people say you can "simply" file the holes larger on the 2g oil return line to fit the 14b/16g turbos. Those people must not have tried to do that before. It's a pain in the ass. Just buy the 91 oil return line for $28 + both oil return gaskets. And for Gods sake, be careful with those small 10mm bolts, there only 8 ft/lb (socket snug + 1/4 turn). You do not what to spin those bolts! If you do, you'll need to get a 20unc 1/4 tap and re-tap the oil pan holes. It's not alot of fun, trust me..

My recommendation is to buy the RRE 7cm turbo gasket kit for $10 (cheapest/best around) it gives you turbo & o2 dual layer gasket. Make sure the turbo feed line if used from the 2g oil filter housing is 28in, the 24in feed lines barley fit with no room to spare. Use your stock 2g coolant lines, just bend them.. Autozone/napa/schucks all have a turbo-gasket kit for about $29-$34 that has your j-pipe/turbo/o2/oil-drain gaskets and makes things pretty easy, having that kit laying around saved me a few hours once, even thought the j-pipe gasket leaked at 10psi. Oh well. I personally love that Mr. Gasket maker crap. It seals pretty damn good.

You'll want some copper aintiseze in a stick. Nickle is not available in the stick, but unless you want to spend $30 on a tub the $12 copper stick will be fine. Buy 4 new turbo bolts (4th replaces the turbo stud), 3 o2-studs, and 1 o2-stud nut at the dealership. Depending on your intercooler piping you'll need a couplers, clamps, exc to get the J-pipe to fit your intercooler pipeing. I have a FMIC/stock 1g j/pipe, so I had to get crafty.. Good luck

800_Speed said:
which evoIII16g did you go with, the mitsu one or the GT one? i'm not sure what the difference is

i'm not too technical, however, the mistu evo3 is the real mhi turbo, where as the gt is basically a knock off....honestly it doesnt matter...

my reccomendation is to get the MHI version from extremepsi witht he install kit! go to vfaq.com and look up the install of the 16g from RRE (roadraceengineering.com) ...the install is explained very thorough..

the only thing is doesnt explain, is ditching the oil feed stock lines and replacing them with the new ones from the install kit..

the install is very simple (belive me, when i did mine, it took me 10 hours, i was so nervous and kept reading over every little detail)....but do it urself and you will elarn so much, and once your done you'll say:
"F**K that was so easy!"

good luck.

yeah i think i'm going to go with the mitsu one from turbochargers.com... the manifold included for only 700 bucks is too good a deal to pass up.

Your stock manifold is just fine. Save the $$ and put it towards a fuel pump, injectors or fuel control.

You should also be just fine with the stock internal wastegate.

yeah my friend with the same turbo that i just called said don't get the manifold... what fuel setup can i get with around 250 bucks to support about 300hp?

i just noticed that the turbo kit with manifold from turbochargers.com and the turbo with 2g install kit from extremepsi are about the same price... i saw that on slowboy the turbo was 600ish, but not sure if that comes with the 2g install kit or not? Anyone get their turbo for a 2g for less than 650 bucks?

350ish is very difficult to do on pump. FMIC is a good idea for now and for future. external is a good idea- many have problems with boost creep and spike, proper porting is important to direct the gasses on this turbo though shapegsx has done well with no porting whatsoever. if you do decide to get a manifold get a external gate off of it as it will give you more options for turbo in the future. you can always do the external later though and if you are tight on money i would do this part later as most can control the boost alright with the internal. my 2 cents.

expect 285-315 or so whp. don't worry about a manifold. just port the stock one.. you will be more than fine with that.

i might be wrong but i think you are able to use 1g lines for water and oil, except oil return i think you just your stocker around. check that out though as like i said i might be wrong. it's been awhile since i have done mine and i can't remember exactly how i hooked it up.

You'll need a larger fuel pump, larger injectors (550 or bigger) and some sort of tuning device. SAFC is cheap.

If you buy used you could get things for reasonably cheap. SAFC ~$150 Injectors ~$150 (maybe a little less for evo 8 injectors) Fuel pump (new is best) $90 or used ~$50.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back