The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

EVO I 16G vs EVO III 16G?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rixcidia

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 5, 2007
Somewhere in BC, B.C._Canada
Hey guys so on my last thread I decided to get my Evo I 16G Turbo rebuilt but what are the difference with that and the evo 3? and is there Some differences that Id notice right away when driving my car on one vs the other??

Big 16g and then evo 3.

Either or is just fine.They use the same turbine wheel, and hotside.The big 16g doesn't flow as well as the evo3, but that is not a big deal.

So I hope that answers your question.But again, nothing wrong with a big 16g.

Thanks for your answer I hope the flow difference and boosting reaction times are not so noticeable different between the two

Should spool a tad later than the evo3.But I doubt it will be that noticable.

If the big 16g is what you have.Go with that.No sense in buying an evo3 for a little more flow.If your going to stick with a 16g, there is no sense really in going with the evo3.

BC in the hizzouse.Sorry, I just had to do that.

Haha right on no prob dude thanks so much for the clarification and info :)

Although I do have to ask if your profile is correct? You don't have any mods listed at all.If you have issues down the road or need advice, it makes it harder to lend a hand if your profile is not up to date.:thumb:

You know iv never set up a profile I'll get that fixed up with all my mods listed , I forgot to also ask the j-pipe I have I had an air nipple welded on it was that a mistake that I did for my 16G?

Evo I 16G = Big 16G. Big 16G compressor, standard 7cm turbine housing.

The Evo III 16G has a lighter compressor wheel of nearly the same spec with a revised design, and the turbine housing is also slightly different (lighter, larger outlet, higher nickel content in the casting to prevent cracks).

Neither is better than the other- the Evo III spools slightly quicker and flows a tiny bit more but is more prone to boost creep. If you swapped one for the other you'd likely never notice a difference in performance.

The 3 spools quicker.Nice that I will keep in mind.Let me edit my post on that.

So the lighter compressor wheel is why it spools quicker.Good job mits engineers.

Op the j pipe might be a 1g, unless it's aftermarket.

Thanks for the reply Jus, I'm happy as long as this 16G won't crack on me haha iv never ran a true 16g on my car so this should be nice I'm head to the post office right now and sending it out to you for the rebuild thanks so much :)

I'm sending it to Justin I heard he does awesome work on these turbos

But as far as the j-pipe goes I had an air nipple welded on it was that a mistake that I did for my 16G?

no no Here ill post a picture with the air nipple i welded on it

Attachments

• j-pipe.jpg
    j-pipe.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 286
thats not my actual j-pipe but mine has the proper flange on it i just welded the nipple on it like show on the pic just not sure if it was a bad idea doing that

oh and i do not have a mbc

ok haha sorry let me refrase my question and show you an actual picture on my J-pipe so the black one is what came with my 16g but that chrome j-pipe is the one that was on my ebay special and the hose on my car the comes from the smic fits the chrome j-pipe and the black j-pipe is too small for the hose, the chrome j-pipe was used for my cheep ebay evo 3 special but my question is can i use that chrome j-pipe on my real evo I 16G? and was it a bad thing to weld a nipple on that chrome j-pipe?? sorry in advance im a real newbie with my questions

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 75
The black on is a stock 1g turbo outlet pipe.The polished one is ebay you say.It should not matter.Just use it.

Except wait a minute.The black on is either modded or flipped over.Cause I do not see a nipple on that.

See my fancy red outline and yellow nipple.

Attachments

• meeoww.jpg
    meeoww.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 238
The black one never had a nipple on it and the only reason the chrome one has a nipple welded on it is because 4 years ago when I bought that eBay evo 3 turbo a guy on another forum told me I had to make a drill a hole on the chrome j-pipe and weld a nipple to it but now I wanna use the evo 16G and I don't know if that nipple on the chrome j-pipe is right and ok to use when i install the big 16G

What do you mean by close one off theres only one nipple is on the chrome j pipe and I do not have a Mbc

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back