The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Evo 8 ECU In 2g Works!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

“no response to any known code” - evolutionm.net

Try reading that thread, it was the first one that came up when I put the error in the search terms at evolutionm.net but there are a bunch more if that doesn't answer your questions. From my reading it sounds like there could be a problem with your in car flash connector, you could be using more than one program that accesses the cable, or you could have a problem with your cable.

No flash connector. I added a pin in the ecu harness at pin 79 and wired it directly to the flash wire coming off my openport cable. I only installed ecuflash on my brand new laptop so there wouldn't be any possible conflicts, and still nothing

Has anyone had problems with the tach bouncing around? I know the car isnt tuning nearly to where its supposed to be but at idle the tach drops to 0 then back up to 1000 then back to 0 every once in awhile. Im having weird problems haha, but the flashing and start up is flawless

Also for my other problem, Im going to try hooking up that fuel pump relay wire again. Im thinking even though it has a hardwire, the ecu/car needs it to shut the car down. I don't know why but I'll give it a shot, its an easy fix if it is...

Any ways of fixing that tach problem, it seems fine when at upper rpms, just at idle it bounces around.

Just rechecked all the wires, the fuel pump relay was hooked in, the AC clutch wasnt so that makes no difference at all. Now, any idea I had is gone haha still doesnt shutoff without me killing the fuel pump on the hardwire. Any idea if having the fuel pump on a hardwire, not hooked up to the relay would cause a problem?

Ok heres the situation. The car started up and shut down perfectly with the 2g ecu in it. I have the fuel pump setup on a hardwire and thats about the only thing different. I just installed the evo 8 ecu switched the correct wires (rechecked them already) and the ecu was able to be flashed perfectly through the obd ports and starts up fine. The only thing is now it wont shut down with the key so I have to kill it using the fuel pump switch. Any ideas? All the ignition wires are the same for the evo and dsm so nothing was touched. Also the evo ecu isnt grounded on the plate but I figured its a plastic housing so there was no need for the brackets. Any help??:confused::confused:

Dont think so, had the battery disconnected through the work, all the pins are now in the correct place. Somehow its still getting power with the key out. Even when I turn the turbo timer on, if I turn the key off it doesnt begin to count down so its getting power from somewhere thats what I dont understand. The relays were working correctly before the swap, is there any fuse that could do this?

LOL I know where thje fuses are located, i was just seeing if anyone knew if any of the fuses could cause the car to not shutdown with the ignition key

Any ways of fixing that tach problem, it seems fine when at upper rpms, just at idle it bounces around.

Yeah, I have the same problem. Doesn't really bother me. I've heard it can be fixed by altering the gauge/length of the RPM wire.

I don't really care about it enough to investigate further though at this point.

yea i just wanted to know if it was a problem others were having, really doesnt bther me. Tell me gsxdna any idea about the shutdown problem??

Also I picked up some codes for cam and crank sensor malfunctions, I have a 1g blacktop cas on the 2g harness...does the signal have to be inverted for the ecu? In other words, do I have to redo the pins like RRE says to do on the ecu for the 95-96 ecu cars or is there something else I have to do? Thanks

is the evo pcm completely stock or is it reflashed with a different rom/program?

Did you say fuel pump switch? WTF What the hell do you have a switch on your fuel pump for? Clearly that's the problem. It sounds like you wired in a secondary ignition switch. Obviously you would have to turn them both off to shut down the engine.

For saftey reasons, you should really let the ECU decide when to turn the pump on and off.

Did you say fuel pump switch? WTF What the hell do you have a switch on your fuel pump for? Clearly that's the problem. It sounds like you wired in a secondary ignition switch. Obviously you would have to turn them both off to shut down the engine.

For saftey reasons, you should really let the ECU decide when to turn the pump on and off.

A lot of people install a cut-off switch when they do a fuel pump re-wire. It's a form of theft-deterrent. It has nothing to do with the ECU's ability to turn the pump off and on when the circuit is closed.

EDIT: MOVED to Tuning/Engine Manangement forum. I cleaned up as many off-topic/redundant posts as I could. Let's keep this thread as technical as we can. If you don't know the answer, don't post. If you have questions, ask them in as concise a way as you can. And don't forget spell-check. :)

is the evo pcm completely stock or is it reflashed with a different rom/program?

reflashed with a different rom, my buddy has an evo so hes helping me set everything up in ecuflash.

If I read his post correctly his actually does cut the ecu out of the equation though.

Yes, I didnt follow the correct procedure for the rewire which was dumb but I did a motor swap and had problems with the fuel pump so I ran a wire from the power wire to the battery with an inline fuse and a switch right at my knee. It worked well with the eclipse ecu even though its not "safe" Im not worried about that, Im worried about its function.

All this though doesnt explain why I still have spark and why the turbo time stays on with the key out of the ignition. The car should shut down and the fuel pump stay on like it used to correct?

yea i just wanted to know if it was a problem others were having, really doesnt bther me. Tell me gsxdna any idea about the shutdown problem??

Also I picked up some codes for cam and crank sensor malfunctions, I have a 1g blacktop cas on the 2g harness...does the signal have to be inverted for the ecu? In other words, do I have to redo the pins like RRE says to do on the ecu for the 95-96 ecu cars or is there something else I have to do? Thanks

Concerning your issue with your codes for crankshaft sensor positioning, i find that very interesting. I have two ROMs I am playing with. One is an from an EDM Evo 8. That ROM throws no codes at all, and works flawlessly. I am also trying to get a USDM Evo 8 ROM with the Tephra Mods to work. When I flash the USDM ROM, I throw similar codes. Haven't figured it out yet. I bet if you use my EDM ROM, your CEL issues will go away.

And when is your car shutting down again?

hmm thats interesting, yes im not running the edm rom. you will have to keep me posted on this.

the car starts up normally with the key, then when i turn the key off and take it out, the car remains running until i kill the fuel with the switch. Im not sure how the evo ecu controls ignition and whether or not the fuel pump needs to be hooked up to the ecu or not.

Yes, I didnt follow the correct procedure for the rewire which was dumb but I did a motor swap and had problems with the fuel pump so I ran a wire from the power wire to the battery with an inline fuse and a switch right at my knee. It worked well with the eclipse ecu even though its not "safe" Im not worried about that, Im worried about its function.

All this though doesnt explain why I still have spark and why the turbo time stays on with the key out of the ignition. The car should shut down and the fuel pump stay on like it used to correct?
So how much of the stock wiring did you use? Did you utilize the stock relay?

Better yet, is the pump completely isolated on it's own hardwired circuit? If it's not, the issue might be a common feed or ground in the new ECU. The power closing the pump relay may be a trigger for another internal relay in the ECU responsible for activating the ignition. Sounds like maybe a safety feature, as in perhaps if the ignition fails completely the pump shuts down or vise-verse.

So how much of the stock wiring did you use? Did you utilize the stock relay?

Better yet, is the pump completely isolated on it's own hardwired circuit? If it's not, the issue might be a common feed or ground in the new ECU. The power closing the pump relay may be a trigger for another internal relay in the ECU responsible for activating the ignition. Sounds like maybe a safety feature, as in perhaps if the ignition fails completely the pump shuts down or vise-verse.

Yes the pump is entirely on its own circuit, none of the old wiring is used at all. Im not sure if using the stock relay and such will fix the wiring or not.

hmm thats interesting, yes im not running the edm rom. you will have to keep me posted on this.

the car starts up normally with the key, then when i turn the key off and take it out, the car remains running until i kill the fuel with the switch. Im not sure how the evo ecu controls ignition and whether or not the fuel pump needs to be hooked up to the ecu or not.

That is very interesting. I really have no clue what could be causing that. Has to be a wrong connection somewhere?

Well I know that with the original 2g turbo ecu the car worked properly, the only pins changed as you know are for a/c and fuel pump relay. So I'm not sure how its possible since the ignition wasnt touched. I could just kill the motor by turning off the pump but I have to see if power still remains at the ecu after the car stalls. This whole thing has me completly puzzled :confused:

well its not really a big deal, I dont have A/C so the pins dont need to be changed I dont think. Only the fuel pump relay maybe. That might be a good idea to see if its something outside of ecu wiring/problem. Ill try it tomorrow

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back