The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Evo 8-10 Brembo Calipers DSM Conversion (for 1g too)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Since when do you even come close to similar brake heat from extended road course work that you would on a drag strip?

When you have to navigate turns AND straights to complete a lap, you stress the brakes more than just one time really hard.

If you start with a cold rotor and heat load it heavily one time every 20 minutes, the rotor can be thin, light, even scalloped since the one-time heating is not going to be able to warp the rotor.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Now, if you start with the same regular cold rotor and subject it to repetitive moderate heat loading from one turn to the next on a road course, shoving on the pedal hard once every 5 seconds or less, a thin rotor will not be able to dissipate heat quickly enough.

You might heat load the rotor less heavily each individual time compared to stopping a powerful drag car at 1/4 mile speed, but when you add 250*F or more at every turn, and don't have the surface area and material volume to shed more than 50*F between braking episodes, it won't take very long to heat soak everything and cause problems.

Ever see a car with a sticking caliper?

I think you're reading something too far in my point that you don't need huge brakes, nor do you need to worry about warping cheap lightweight wheels when you're on a drag strip.

Ok, I apologize for not reading all 12 pages of this thread. I just want to know if there have been any issues using this on a 1G awd and has anyone tried this with a 16 inch wheel say an RX7 wheel? Thanks.

Ok, I apologize for not reading all 12 pages of this thread. I just want to know if there have been any issues using this on a 1G awd and has anyone tried this with a 16 inch wheel say an RX7 wheel? Thanks.

It's pretty unlikely you're going to be able to fit calipers this size inside of a 16-inch wheel.

Well I know that some wheels will fit 4 piston calipers but I was just wondering if anyone had tried it. If only I still had my evo.

I believe those wheels are 16 inch diameter, so I would say no. Plus that offset is too high.

Actually I see on evo m that guys are running FD wheels on their evos so I would say this would work, maybe I am wrong.

I just wanted to come in here and make an update on some brake booster info I've found after doing a bit of research to upgrade mine to improve pedal feel with these Evo brakes.
My car, being a '97 GS-T w/o ABS, came with a 7"+8" (8.75" diaphragm) brake booster from the factory along with every other DSM, or so I thought. :D
  • '06 Evo brake booster - 8"+9" (9.75" diaphragm)
    • OE P/N: 4630A14
  • '03 Eclipse 3.0l brake booster - 8"+9" (9.75" diaphragm)
    • OE P/N: MR527043
Above were the two different upgrades I was entertaining, unfortunately with both fitment becomes an issue since they aren't OE for any DSM. After digging around through ASA and the 2g Tech FSM I found this, though, and couldn't believe it...
  • '94 GS-T (still a 2g D32 chassis code) w/ ABS - 8"+9" (9.75" diaphragm)

Sick. :hellyeah:

A guaranteed bolt on brake booster with the same diaphragm size the Evo uses, now its time to tackle the mbc dilemma.

:dsm:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is awesome, i was waiting for some more info on this to come about. My car is currently awaiting another transmission so I can play around with the BB and BMC stuff to try and firm up that pedal. Do we have any options for straight swapping the BMC besides the 300zx part?

Looking at that part on Autozone's website it states that it is for 1995 year talons. Is there a way of finding out if I already have this part on my car? Or is it just telling me that it will fit my car since my preferences are for parts that fit a 95 talon tsi awd?

Does/did your car have ABS from the factory?

If it DOES/DID have ABS then send Brian (snowborder714) a PM asking him nicely to do a VIN # check of your car through PAIS and see what the brake booster PN is for it.

Don't forget to include your VIN # in the PM!

I have a VIN for a GST Spyder with ABS and a Talon AWD Auto with ABS, if anyone needs them to look parts up with.

I just wanted to come in here and make an update on some brake booster info I've found after doing a bit of research to upgrade mine to improve pedal feel with these Evo brakes.
My car, being a '97 GS-T w/o ABS, came with a 7"+8" (8.75" diaphragm) brake booster from the factory along with every other DSM, or so I thought. :D
  • '06 Evo brake booster - 8"+9" (9.75" diaphragm)
    • OE P/N: 4630A14
  • '03 Eclipse 3.0l brake booster - 8"+9" (9.75" diaphragm)
    • OE P/N: MR527043
Above were the two different upgrades I was entertaining, unfortunately with both fitment becomes an issue since they aren't OE for any DSM. After digging around through ASA I found this, though, and couldn't believe it...
  • '94 GS-T (still a 2g D32 chassis code) w/ ABS - 8"+9" (9.75" diaphragm)
Sick. :hellyeah:

A guaranteed bolt on brake booster with the same diaphragm size the Evo uses, now its time to tackle the mbc dilemma.

Since the last model listed is a 94 (even though it has a 2g code), does that mean that the 1g can use this larger brake booster?

I was looking through ASA for a 1g alternative but an model I input comes back with the smaller 7"+8" booster, there was never a 8"+9" option. That being said, since this part number doesn't cross reference to the D20 chassis I'm going to say no.

That doesn't mean you can't try it, I also found this brake booster was used on a few Dodge/Chrysler cars built in '95/'96 for you junkyard DSMers.
CHRYSLER AVENGER 2.0L I4 DOHC 16V SFI, 4-Speed Automatic 1995, 1996
CHRYSLER AVENGER 2.0L I4 DOHC 16V SFI, 5-Speed Perf. Manual 1995, 1996
CHRYSLER AVENGER 2.5L V6 SOHC 24V SMPI, 4-Speed Automatic 1995, 1996
DODGE AVENGER 2.0L I4 DOHC 16V SFI, 4-Speed Automatic 1995, 1996
DODGE AVENGER 2.0L I4 DOHC 16V SFI, 5-Speed Perf. Manual 1995, 1996
DODGE AVENGER 2.5L V6 SOHC 24V SMPI, 4-Speed Automatic 1995, 1996​
I ordered the OE MB895142 brake booster from JNZ and noted my findings, we'll see what they say since they are indeed the expert OE parts suppliers.

:hmm:

If this order from JNZ works and I get the 2g 8+9 brake booster I may have to walk it down to the local Auto Zone and compare it to the 3g remaned 53-2731 P/N.

JNZ cancelled the order for the stock 8+9 brake booster, looks like I'll be running to the parts store and getting a remaned and comparing it to the stock 7+8 my car came with. Darn.
Apparently Mitsu no longer makes it, I wonder if the 3G OE part number is a acceptable replacement?

Last edited:
Posting here for reference, this is the same order that the 2g DSM FSM call for but includes the additional "nipples" on both sides of the Brembo calipers. The 2g DSM FSM also says to first start the engine, creating vacuum, then bleed in this order.

I'm going to be installing the 3g 8+9 brake booster this weekend, along with a 3g 17/16" brake master cylinder and 300zx TT 17/16" brake master cylinder, too. I got both BMC's to see which of the two fits better and allows for the best clearance on the shock tower and is easier to install the lines to.

I'll take pictures and post them first thing next week.

I have both an EVO brake booster+master cylinder and a 3G, not sure if ABS or not. I was going to upgrade my 1g with the EVO one but the master cylinder doesn't fit (one of the fittings is oriented toward the strut mount), so i picked up a 3G one in decent condition. The two of them seem very similar with the exception of the vacuum port. Fitment of the actual brake booster should not be a problem, I already squeezed in there one from a GVR4 that was much bigger in diameter than the stock 1g turbo one. I'll report back as soon as I have a chance to test fit. Beside the fitting orientation the two master cylinders appear to be very, very similar.

Well everyone, I've got good news and I've got great news! I finally got the parts out in the garage that I need to effectively do this brake booster and brake master cylinder swap so my Evo Brembos actually stop the car.

--- Parts ---
- 1991 300z TT 17/16" brake master cylinder
- 2003 Mitsu Eclipse 17/16" brake master cylinder
- 2003 Mitsu Eclipse 8+9 brake booster​
For now, I only pulled my stock GS-T brake master cylinder (BMC) to bolt on the two 17/16" BMC's from the 300z and '03 Eclipse. That way, for those of you who aren't interested in upgrading to a different brake booster, you can see how well fitment is and what needs to be modified to make the switch.

Left is the 3g Eclipse 17/16" BMC and the right is the 300z TT 17/16" BMC

'91 300z TT 17/16" BMC Fitment
The 300z 17/16" BMC fits onto the BB no problem, not without a bit of modification (hammering) to the strut tower though, as well as running two new brake lines to it.

Both brake lines would need to be removed and new ones made, as you can see the ports on the 300z BMC are on the left side of it plugged by those green caps.

Also, you can't bolt the BMC to the booster until you take a hammer to the strut tower and clear the bleeder port bolt on the right side of the BMC.

3g Eclipse 17/16" BMC Fitment
The 3g (2003) Eclipse 17/16" BMC bolts perfectly to the OE BB and clears the strut tower, even one of the existing brake lines works! I wasn't expecting that...

As you can see, one of the existing brake lines already works with the 3g BMC and there are no clearance issues with the strut tower, this BMC will bolt directly to the OE brake booster and only one brake hardline needs to be replaced. The port for the other hardline is directly below the reservoir on the left side.

I didn't have time to mock up the 1g/2g/SMIM that I have and show clearance with each, which I'll do tomorrow and update with pictures. As far as my setup goes, it looks like I'll be running the 3g BMC for sure since it requires A LOT less work considering the fact I don't have to hammer the strut tower or make one less brake line. Knock on wood that it works with my SMIM and that the 3g BB bolts up as easily as the BMC did!

Stay tuned...

Removed the stock GS-T/GSX brake booster, which is a 7"+8", and compared it to the stock 3g brake booster which is the same size as the Evo's, a 8"+9". You can definitely tell there's a size difference just by comparing them side by side.

Putting the larger booster in was no problem, I had to convince the power steering lines that it was supposed to go back there but other than that she bolted right into the firewall. I then re-installed the 3g 17/16" master cylinder and clearance on the strut tower was the same.

I mocked up my SMIM to check clearance on the reservoir since all my vacuum fittings are sourced on the driverside of the plenum. Excuse the mess of the engine bay, its a work in progress... :coy:

good job gofer!

This is great progress, hopefully it cures the mushy pedal.

I just ordered the JDM knuckles today, can't wait.

Thanks. I'll know soon enough if it cured my spongey brake pedal, I swung through the local Earl's supply store and had them make me a SS brake line to go from the new brake master cylinder to the proportioning valve. I'll take more pictures, including which line needs to be replaced, when I install it.

I also bought a one man vacuum pump brake bleeder setup so I don't need to rely on the girl (I love her but she sucks at helping me bleed the brakes) to do it right. Should be done before the weekends over!

This car better do endo's on the front tires when I brake hard, dammit.

Done and done. Now its just time to give it some time out on the road and see how the new brake setup performs. I've just got to put my car back together and its still in pieces so it may take a few days of wrenching.

As for the brake line that needed replaced I went to a local plumbing supply shop that carry's Earl's fittings, I snagged a 34" Earl's SS -3AN line and (2) Earl's -3AN to 10x1 adapters.

Here are the part numbers for the fittings and line...

quick random question... My AWD 2g is cayenne red pearl, I'm having the Brembos re-finish and rebuilt. My question is what color should i redo the calipers in? I currently have OEM silver evo 9 wheels. I like the OEM look of factory silver wheels, but I've also considered redoing the wheels in black.

If I keep the wheels in silver, i was thinking about black calipers with white logo. If I redo the wheels in black I was thinking maybe a silverish/chrome calipers with black logo.

I just wanted someone else's opinion... Sorry for going off topic.

quick random question... My AWD 2g is cayenne red pearl, I'm having the Brembos re-finish and rebuilt. My question is what color should i redo the calipers in? I currently have OEM silver evo 9 wheels. I like the OEM look of factory silver wheels, but I've also considered redoing the wheels in black.

If I keep the wheels in silver, i was thinking about black calipers with white logo. If I redo the wheels in black I was thinking maybe a silverish/chrome calipers with black logo.

I just wanted someone else's opinion... Sorry for going off topic.
Post a decent resolution (1000x700+) picture of your DSM in the photoshop forum with the Evo wheels on it, I'll photoshop in some Evo brakes and change the color of each. We'll play around with it until you find something you like...

I got the car off the jackstands today, it starts, idles, and it stops like an Evo now. :hellyeah:

To anyone that has done the Evo brake conversion, or any brake upgrade for that matter, I HIGHLY recommend installing a 3g 9.75" brake booster and 17/16" brake master cylinder on your 2g, you won't regret it.

Now I'll be able to beat an Evo to the finish line and stop faster, too!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back