The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Evo 1 Gsr Awd Lsd Transmission In 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuffing is different than ripping the teeth off at the root. If they were just scuffing it was an oil, or surface hardness issue.

The treatments do help. But remember these gears were designed for a car with 200hp.
it was more then scuffing. teeth and gears were breaking prior also. my point is the strength was increased. I didn't go with it because I didn't feel the need to. But The way my car is now. I may have no choice.

The scuffing leads to surface pitting, spalling, cratering, ect.. Cracks will start in those areas.

My car has been making some jam for quite a while. On my last trans I got it apart before it catastrophically failed. I lost one tooth from 3rd gear. No scuffing/pitting/ect. oreilly 85W140 GL5 gear oil.

I'm really surprised that we don't see a lot of pitting in the teeth with the level of contact stress we put on them.

Evans performance is running on a 2 week cryo/rem daggum! I am ready to get wit it. Going to take me a week and half to get them back from wpc that's almost a month:ohdamn:

Here's why I'm holding off on the boldt gears.

I drive my car a lot. Like 20,000 miles a year. I run a 35r at 30-40 psi on e85. I'm willing to bet that out of all the cars in my power range I drive my car more miles a year than anyone.

I don't want to pay $2,000 for a 3-4 setup if it would only make it 30,000-40,000 miles, as it wouldn't be cost effective. I'm waiting for people with some real street cars to report their experience with the boldt gears.

That's my exact feeling too Donnie. I wanted to know more about the gears, didn't get a reply. Material, heat treat, hobbed or cut on a mill, gound post heat treat.

If it's not 9310 or better, hobbed and ground post heat treat, your much better off spending the money on the PAR synchro set. Otherwise you could make equivalent gears in your home garage with a Bridgeport and a dividing head.

Great point, it would have been best if Mitsubishi for example would have just sent the gears through heat treat and then had the teeth ground from tip to root to eliminate any features which become the genesis of cracking. This however would have been very costly as I understand it. Marks left behind after the shaving operation is a liability because they reduce the surface area of the mesh zone and allow the oil to get out of doing its job. This stuff is important and important to know.

I emailed Matthias back in June. I received a response but it’s tough to have an in depth technical dialogue when English is not one’s first language and I can’t speak a word of German. I asked very similar questions and they remain. This leads to some apprehension as do lack of reviews.

Last edited:
That's the
Great point, it would have been best if Mitsubishi for example would have just sent the gears through heat treat and then had the teeth ground from tip to root to eliminate any features which become the genesis of cracking. This however would have been very costly as I understand it. Marks left behind after the shaving operation is a liability because they reduce the surface area of the mesh zone and allow the oil to get out of doing its job. This stuff is important and important to know.

I emailed Matthias back in June. I received a response but it’s tough to have an in depth technical dialogue when English is not one’s first language and I can’t speak a word of German. I asked very similar questions and they remain.
Maverick man I been reading your posts you and bastard speak with a lot of insight I really appreciate both of you guys input. I do know one thing for sure before I break the transmission I will definitely get some memorable , amazing video pulls just like boldt LOL

Transmission is cleaned now time f o r some coatings.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
It appears that boldt gears are taking a good bit of punishment , 9sec run after run is not to shabby for a synchronized gear I am sold!

Wow that's insane!! I like that car. You also found someone who drives crazier than you. Good stuff that tranny is taking a beating in that light car. staying tuned!

f
Wow that's insane!! I like that car. You also found someone who drives crazier than you. Good stuff that tranny is taking a beating in that light car. staying tuned!
I am rolling on the floor with laughterROFL carl you are a nut for sure!! I got the details on the gears, he makes them himself and from my conversation with him , to his knowledge no one has broken any as of yet. There are a lot of evo guys running them with no issues. The price for the whole set is 1700.00 us dollars. Being that they are straight cut gears they will make the noise a straight cut gear will make which is not a problem with me. I need to send him my 3rd and 4th gears , intermediate shaft and center differential he said that it doesn't matter if they are broken gears he just needs the synchro dog teeth off the gears. Turn around time is 8 weeks plug shipping to Germany. I am going to get the process started my current trans should hold together until he finish because , as crazy as I drive , I will never launch my car at 7000rpm like some idiots. you also know that even when I get the boldt gears they will be treated the same as all others cryo/rem wpc :D. he told me that if anyone wants to contact him they must do so using facebook messenger Matthias Boldt@me. Keltalon is an extremist for sure.:shhh:

Last edited:
I have a nice center diff with 4 spider conversion and torrington bearing upgrade. it has a couple of chipped teeth. perfect for sending in for the boldt upgrade if you are interested. want 200 for it.

I have a nice center diff with 4 spider conversion and torrington bearing upgrade. it has a couple of chipped teeth. perfect for sending in for the boldt upgrade if you are interested. want 200 for it.
You have pics? Thanks.

Make sure to send in the double synchro 3-4 so your new gears hve the best shifting setup.
Thanks Donnie for the heads up. I will get another set next week to send in, the current ones will go in the present transmission build.

It does seem weird to that no one in the US makes a similar set of custom gears. With shep, jack's, tre, and TMZ I figured someone would have sourced a similar set. I would think you could buy a set from him, copy them, write a program and cnc a second set? Unless someone could map out everything and create their own set. Not saying I have that skill level but I'm certain their are machinist out there that could clone them. The creator would have to do their homework on the alloy of steel and proper treatments before machining.

It does seem weird to that no one in the US makes a similar set of custom gears. With shep, jack's, tre, and TMZ I figured someone would have sourced a similar set. I would think you could buy a set from him, copy them, write a program and cnc a second set? Unless someone could map out everything and create their own set. Not saying I have that skill level but I'm certain their are machinist out there that could clone them. The creator would have to do their homework on the alloy of steel and proper treatments before machining.
Gonna call this company tomorrow to see if they may be up for the task any gears from any material is their motto.
http://www.gearsmade.com/

Good luck on that^ those guys do light loading gears for machinery. Ours stuff is a very special application that few gear shops will touch.

In 2013 I was talking with liberty about it and they would do it, but it was going to be $$$$.

Also you don't CNC gears generally, the best gears are cut on a gear hobb, left oversize, heat treated, then ground to size.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back