The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Evo 1 Gsr Awd Lsd Transmission In 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the half shaft you are comparing it to in the video? I'm pretty sure I've replaced both front cv half shafts during the 9 years, tho its possible I might be off... I've worked on lots of cars over the years LOL. If I have though, they would have been standard purchases from Autozone or O'Reilly's...

Ok here's the big machine the hub slider secret was not going to sleep until I figured it out LOL .

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I think you should call jack or john. I dont think you hub needs the machining done. there is plenty of clearance there. they expand from heat together. and the syncro ring is never spinning inside the hub. its held in one spot by the dogs.

edit: save the phone call. I figured it out. do the first video test again but install the dogs and springs. on the set i have here there is no room for the scyncro to move free once the spring is in place. it forces the scyncro to the gear and would self destruct instantly. the hub I have needs more depth.

Last edited:
I think you should call jack or john. I dont think you hub needs the machining done. there is plenty of clearance there. they expand from heat together. and the syncro ring is never spinning inside the hub. its held in one spot by the dogs.

edit: save the phone call. I figured it out. do the first video test again but install the dogs and springs. on the set i have here there is no room for the scyncro to move free once the spring is in place. it forces the scyncro to the gear and would self destruct instantly. the hub I have needs more depth.

Keltalon,

If you do anything to this trans get 3rd/4th, intermediate shaft, and cd, detailed, shotpeened, cryo, rem, isf, and anything else that you can. These are the gears that take the most abuse and fail. With you playing lsr racer, you'll be plenty hard on 4th gear and the I shaft/cd pair.

Noone breaks first/second gear, medium power cars strip 3rd gear, and high power cars strip 4th gear.

I'm not a believer in the treatments, as I've had them and havn't seen an improvement. But I will say that if you care going to spend your money on it, the above pieces are the essential ones.

Also one tip, I've been running the 2nd gear synchro spring in 3rd and 4th. you have to cut it to fit, but it gives quite a bit more pressure on the synchro keys, which improves the synchro actuation. The shift effort is a bit higher but it's a nice positive feeling shift and it doesn't object to 9000rpm shifts.

Appreciate the input yeah!
Keltalon,

If you do anything to this trans get 3rd/4th, intermediate shaft, and cd, detailed, shotpeened, cryo, rem, isf, and anything else that you can. These are the gears that take the most abuse and fail. With you playing lsr racer, you'll be plenty hard on 4th gear and the I shaft/cd pair.

Noone breaks first/second gear, medium power cars strip 3rd gear, and high power cars strip 4th gear.

I'm not a believer in the treatments, as I've had them and havn't seen an improvement. But I will say that if you care going to spend your money on it, the above pieces are the essential ones.

Also one tip, I've been running the 2nd gear synchro spring in 3rd and 4th. you have to cut it to fit, but it gives quite a bit more pressure on the synchro keys, which improves the synchro actuation. The shift effort is a bit higher but it's a nice positive feeling shift and it doesn't object to 9000rpm shifts.

What is the half shaft you are comparing it to in the video? I'm pretty sure I've replaced both front cv half shafts during the 9 years, tho its possible I might be off... I've worked on lots of cars over the years LOL. If I have though, they would have been standard purchases from Autozone or O'Reilly's...
That's a dds axle
It's a jdm axle autozone axle is 1/2 short.

I must've only replaced the drivers side then.

Too many cars over the years LOL.
It can get confusing sometimes LOL. I dropped that axle end off today alone with all the transmission gears, hubs, intermediate shaft,input shaft and 64 tooth ring gear to be cryo-rem finished will get them back in two weeks. The 3rd and 4th gears and the intermediate shaft are also being cryo/rem when I get them back alone with all needle bearing will be sent to be wpc treated .. 400.00 for the cryo and rem of all listed parts above including the axles. wpc quote was 150.00.

Kinda lost here, Lol 4:45 am.

Anyway you are planning on using Evo III 3/4 gears correct? If so at your power you'll probably strip 4th within a few thousand miles treated or not. Every early Evo guy that makes north of 600whp starts stripping 4th. That's why Matthias Boldt started making his 3/4 gears. He said that he'd get 4000km's to a Evo 4th gear before they'd strip.

My brother also stripped 4th in his Evo III gear box, just after being refreshed recently too (2k-4k KM's). Now it did have many hits on those gears at many different power levels for many years, but as soon as he crossed that 600whp mark 4th gear went. Seriously his car at 26psi made 580whp and nothing broke. Turned up the boost to 30psi and on the first hit it stripped, Lol.

Kinda lost here, Lol 4:45 am.

Anyway you are planning on using Evo III 3/4 gears correct? If so at your power you'll probably strip 4th within a few thousand miles treated or not. Every early Evo guy that makes north of 600whp starts stripping 4th. That's why Matthias Boldt started making his 3/4 gears. He said that he'd get 4000km's to a Evo 4th gear before they'd strip.

My brother also stripped 4th in his Evo III gear box, just after being refreshed recently too (2k-4k KM's). Now it did have many hits on those gears at many different power levels for many years, but as soon as he crossed that 600whp mark 4th gear went. Seriously his car at 26psi made 580whp and nothing broke. Turned up the boost to 30psi and on the first hit it stripped, Lol.
Well maybe I'll just have to find out the hard way. I remember when everybody was saying the same thing with my fwd Oh you are an idiot for building that tranny for that horsepower level it will never last and yada yada yada. Guess what with the rem finish alone the tranny held up 2 1/2 years of constant abuse 809whp 608ftlbs torque then it broke not the gears but the weak hub slider. Since I added the wpc and 1990 hd hubslider the tranny is still going strong. So with that success I decided to do the same thing to the awd .

A lot of transmission break because most don't , not even the so call transmission rebuilding gurus even consider to have anything done to the actual transmission case, flexing of the case cause the gears to make contact with the weakest point of the gear , far away from the strength of the gear the root base. My entire case will be cryo treated and then sent to be wpc treated, no shop in the dsm community have even considered wpc I am the first and have had much success with it http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...etproof-Transmission-Secrets-of-the-Pros.aspx . by the way I would never even think twice about putting a stock, untreated evo 3 gear in my transmission that't just plain dumb. I have yet to see a wpc treated gear break or strip Just stay tuned LOL! here a little video clip of the fwd on a close circuit track just imagine this same engine in the awd the swap is 1/2 way complete!

Transmission case ready to be cleaned and then sent for treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:
More of the same information as above but with some additional.

W5M33-2-NQBK 91-2 Galant VR4 up to 4/92
W5M33-2-NQBM 92 Galant VR4 mfg 5/92
W5M33-2-WPVF Galant VR4 E84A
W5M33-2-WQNK Galant VR4 evo (3.909 ratio)
W5M33-2-WQFK Galant VR4 evo
W5M33-2-NPXV 91-94 Eclipse AWD 5spd mfg 6/90-2/94
W5M33-2-NNZT 95? Eclipse AWD 5spd mfg 3/94 [not sure about this one]
W5M33-2-NPZT 95-96 Eclipse AWD 5spd mfg 3/94-6/96

W5M33-2-WQWE 92-93 Lancer evo 1 RS (viscous front LSD) (3.909)
W5M33-2-WQFE evo 1 RS box
W5M33-2-WQGE evo 1 GSR box

Thanks for this info, NOW I know what gearbox my car have. :hellyeah::dsm:

Ninja Edit**

This confuse me
My evo 1 is WQNK non lsd.

:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
your spending way too much an that transmission. AWD is different game than a tire spinning FWD. spend your money on a carbon carbon clutch with heavy flywheel. with that a stock trans will last longer than what you are building here. reducing shock to gears is far more important.

several years back there was a guy making 750whp AWD. he admitted to breaking 16 transmissions. he was getting like two passes per trans. seriously the treatment your doing only adds about 15-20% to the strength of a stocker. .

no one really cares if you want to blow an expensive trans cause you know what you are doing and no one else does. we will just have fun watching you learn the truth the hard way..

On a side note, cryotreatment of your transmission case will do absolutely jack squat for you. It is aluminum, cast aluminum will only see a slight destressing from it and no strength/toughness increase in a measurable form. Cryotreatment is more beneficial for ferrous materials only. Send your shafts, gears for cryotreatment.

Also I typically do an order of gear detailing, shotpeening, REM / WPC, then cryotreatment with a post low temperature heat treat.

Bearing preload is also much more important than WPC treatment of the bearings since they are going to be a wear item and replaced seasonally.

Who are you using for your shotpeening, REM, WPC and Cryo?

Last edited:
On a side note, cryotreatment of your transmission case will do absolutely jack squat for you. It is aluminum. Cryotreatment is for ferrous materials only.

Bearing preload is also much more important than WPC treatment of the bearings since they are going to be a wear item and replaced seasonally.

Who are you using for your shotpeening, REM, WPC and Cryo?
Trans case is wpc treated only. Only needle bearings are wpc treated not taper bearings or the bearing races. Evans performance is doing the cryogenic and rem wpc in California is doing the wpc they are the only one in the us that does it.

Last edited:
agreed nothing can be done to aluminum reduce case flex. shot peening would help to keep it from splitting open. it wont stop flex. and the only time these cases split open is after the gears burst on the inside and teeth wedge things apart.

Again, even WPC on cast aluminum will show no strength increase, making the bearings plate out of T6 7075 is a much better choice, and would cost around $700 each piece.

your spending way too much an that transmission. AWD is different game than a tire spinning FWD. spend your money on a carbon carbon clutch with heavy flywheel. with that a stock trans will last longer than what you are building here. reducing shock to gears is far more important.

several years back there was a guy making 750whp AWD. he admitted to breaking 16 transmissions. he was getting like two passes per trans. seriously the treatment your doing only adds about 15-20% to the strength of a stocker. .

no one really cares if you want to blow an expensive trans cause you know what you are doing and no one else does. we will just have fun watching you learn the truth the hard way..
I don't think so. I broke 4 fwd transmissions prior to getting the last one right. We will just have to see. Less than a 1000.00 is not much spent consider some pay 3 times that ro have someone else do theirs with no treatment what so ever LOL

All I can do is laugh. Hilarious for sure. Don't hate!

I have 30+ years of trans building experience. 15 solely for 4g63 cars. I am quite certain i have more knowledge than you . not even close really. so laugh all you want. we'll see who gets the last laugh. I am just trying to share helpful insight. and you get arrogant. whatever.

I have 30+ years of trans building experience. 15 solely for 4g63 cars. I am quite certain i have more knowledge than you . not even close really. so laugh all you want. we'll see who gets the last laugh. I am just trying to share helpful insight. and you get arrogant. whatever.
I assume you built the 16 transmissions for your buddy that kept breaking? At some point you got to know when to give it up for sure!

I assume you built the 16 transmissions for your buddy that kept breaking? At some point you got to know when to give it up for sure!
why would you assume that? I didnt build one trans for that guy. most forum members simply dont post about their failed parts. "that guy" was kind enough to do so. and the point was at certain power levels these transmissions break like tooth pics. you are planning to exceed that power level.

You should seriously be listening to what he is saying. We are trying to help you. We have significantly more experience than you. This is not "hatin", I was brought up to help others, not jealousy of someone else's abilities.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back