The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

EVO 1-3 turbo differences

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefire16

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2007
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hey guys so im living in New Zealand and there are TOO MANY Evos here haha. Well i can pick up evo3 16gs for pretty cheap, but there are also evo 1 and 2 turbos.... are they going ot be the same?

I searched online but couldnt find any difference about the turbos, if they are different..... anyone?

49178-01450 - Evo I
The turbo was a big 16g with a 7cm cast iron exhaust housing.

49178-01460 - Evo II
This turbo was a big 16g with a 7cm cast steel exhaust housing which made it lighter.

49178-01470 - Evo III
This is the biggest of the bunch, same 7cm lighter exhaust housing but a slighty bigger compressor wheel.

With the right tuning and proper mods running the Evo III turbo could mean an extra 30 - 40hp, something to think about when your forking out the cash for one.

:dsm:

49178-01470 - Evo III
This is the biggest of the bunch, same 7cm lighter exhaust housing but a slighty bigger compressor wheel.
Bigger by .010"; the thickness of two sheets of notebook paper.

It's not the size of the Evo III compressor that makes it more efficient- it's the design. Lighter, thinner blades with a smaller hub area that "grab" more air.

Big 16G:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Evo III 16G:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The compressor on the 1-2s are a 60mm and the 3 is a 68mm

Not much difference though overall
Wrong; the Evo I and II turbos are not Small 16G's (46.5/60)...they are basically a Big 16G, which uses the 48/68 wheel.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back