The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

EF1 vs 68hta vs S256 vs HX35 so many choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my hx35 fits with OEM fans and radiator, no trimmed motor mounts, one tiny notch off the corner of the main fan (off the leg that holds the motor part, but so small it's negligible)

With my t3 .63 housing machined to hold the hx35 turbine and using an hx40 compressor wheel and housing i didn't even need to dent the water pipe although i did before i clocked the turbo... but the real thing i like is that the spool is so awesoem that i'm sure i could go auto, and maybe just need a light restall and be just fine

Good to know Glenn. But fitment was only one of my concerns about a hx35.

The things that turn me off about holsets are that I would need to make a 12an+ drain, that it is designed to run more boost than I want to and is not fully "awake" under 25psi, and that I am buying an old turbo which I will need to send away for rebuilding possibly.

Good to know Glenn. But fitment was only one of my concerns about a hx35.

The things that turn me off about holsets are that I would need to make a 12an+ drain, that it is designed to run more boost than I want to and is not fully "awake" under 25psi, and that I am buying an old turbo which I will need to send away for rebuilding possibly.

I wouldn't let the drain or boost put you off.

The 56-59mm BorgWarner and Holset turbos both love high boost, but they still move a lot of air efficiently at lower boost levels too.

They both have similar oiling requirements as well.

On the S200-59, even in the bolt on housing I was seeing 38-39lbs/min at 20psi and about 50lbs/min at 28psi on pump 93oct

93 with toluene and meth injection allowed for 67lbs/min at 38psi.

Pretty simple setup too as you can see in the shots above, most notable was mild cam and springs, port and polish I did myself, big intercooler, dumped wastewater and 3 inch open downpipe. Made for great spool and a beautiful noise.

The things that turn me off about holsets are that I would need to make a 12an+ drain,
Not absolutely mandatory if you know how to run your drain properly. Most of the guys I know are using 10AN successfully, but I either modded the drain myself or put the drain on their car so I know it's working and not kinking.
that it is designed to run more boost than I want to and is not fully "awake" under 25psi
Go with any of the HX's with 8-blade compressor wheels. They're designed for lower boost levels.
and that I am buying an old turbo which I will need to send away for rebuilding possibly.
...but at the opening of this thread you were talking about sending your turbo away to be converted to an EF1 for $650. That same money would buy you a used 8-blade HX35, pay for the rebuild, and you'd still have some left over for a BEP turbine housing....a setup that would put you in the high 40 lb/min range at 25psi depending on supporting mods with a TON of room to grow.

I'm currently running 24-26 psi on my 7 blade HX35 and it is anything but "not awake". I still hit 47 lb/min and I'm getting 1.3-1.4 sec 70-90 mph. I have a T3 .70 A/R BEP housing, run 60% E-85 and aggressive timing which makes a world of difference I'm sure!

It's actually not a huge difference from the 36-38 psi I was running. I was closer to 1.1sec, but that's a lot more boost and I started pushing coolant. I was seeing 58-60 lb/min at the higher boost, but now I gotta pull the head again. :banghead: It definitely had a big torque hit just after full boost and a wider power band which carried higher into the upper rpms. I'm sure that's what cost me another HG...

I might run it in the 33-35 psi range and be happy after I put on the new HG. I have a baby on the way and can't afford to be breaking things every couple of months anymore...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have somebody rebuild it for you then yes it is about $150 from a few semi-vendors I have talked to.

So, $2-300 for the hx35, $300 for the housing, $150 to rebuild = $650-750

Extremepsi sells the plain jane s256 for $850. I can't find where to get a bolt on housing, but it's probably $300 for a total of $1150. As much as $500 more than the holset!

So the borg is hard to justify on this platform. The holset compares then to the EF1, which seems to get people 119-120mph traps. The holsets can do better than that, of course, but I couldn't get a re-stalled converter so I may end up faster on the street staying TD05.

The EF1 and the 56-59mm S200sx make for an apples and watermelons comparison LOL

When you add in shipping for the multiple trips that ~35lbs holset turbo has to make it becomes a lot closer.

Either way you go, holset vs. bw.. you won't be disappointed. Just find out which compressor/turbine you end up with on your used holset to know what to expect.

The EF1 and holset compare in price only. The EF1 is a bit cheaper and a lot easier though, and not that much slower. Especially on the street. And a billet 20g is somewhat cheaper than the EF1, alot cheaper if I don't rebuild and just slap the wheel in.

Being able to sell you a $600 turbo would mean.

We would not be able to provide any type of phone support or answer your technical questions before or after purchase.

That we would not be able to do any type of R&D to make consistently better performing products year after year.

It means that we would have to buy parts from random Chinese/Taiwanese factories with absolutely no quality control on their or our part.

We would also be unable to provide any type of warranty on any product we sell.

It means we couldn't afford highly trained personal who have assembled more turbos individually than everyone combined on this forum.

It would also mean we couldn't pay them to balance each new and rebuilt turbo in 3 different phases to ensure that it's 100% correct.

We couldn't afford the proper machinery and tools to do it right to make sure it doesn't just "explode".

You get what you pay for, we are here to support you 100% when you buy a turbo from us. Are we more expensive than some chinese knock off fly by night ebay company or dorm room.com rebuilder, yes. However look at what you get beyond the product.

-Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
The EF1 and holset compare in price only. The EF1 is a bit cheaper and a lot easier though, and not that much slower. Especially on the street. And a billet 20g is somewhat cheaper than the EF1, alot cheaper if I don't rebuild and just slap the wheel in.

Send me your E3 16G and I'll upgrade it to a 68HTA for $500.

-Michael

Being able to sell you a $600 turbo would mean.

We would not be able to provide any type of phone support or answer your technical questions before or after purchase.

That we would not be able to do any type of R&D to make consistently better performing products year after year.

It means that we would have to buy parts from random Chinese/Taiwanese factories with absolutely no quality control on their or our part.

We would also be unable to provide any type of warranty on any product we sell.

It means we couldn't afford highly trained personal who have assembled more turbos individually than everyone combined on this forum.

It would also mean we couldn't pay them to balance each new and rebuilt turbo in 3 different phases to ensure that it's 100% correct.

We couldn't afford the proper machinery and tools to do it right to make sure it doesn't just "explode".

You get what you pay for, we are here to support you 100% when you buy a turbo from us. Are we more expensive than some chinese knock off fly by night ebay company or dorm room.com rebuilder, yes. However look at what you get beyond the product.

-Michael

This is why I got my evoIII from you guys and after I max it out my next turbo will be a FP one!

Interesting, what would this upgrade include? Rebuild with the new compressor wheel? Do you get a 8cm housing as well?

For $500 I will take apart and inspect your old turbo and clean up all reused parts which means either media blasting, chemical baths, or both.

I will machine your cover to accept the 68HTA wheel.

I will replace all "soft parts" of the turbo including Journal Bearings, thrust bearing, snap rings, and gas control rings.

I will 3 stage balance it and blueprint it prior to final assembly.

The $500 price tag does not include a new turbine housing.

I sell those for $195 if you wish to replace your 7CM turbine housing with an 8CM unit.

-Michael

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back