The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

E-Bay EVO III Big 16g STAYING STRONG

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok any of you guys able to run more than a solid 25psi? I've adjusted the wastegate rod to maximum tightness to try and ensure the wastegate doesn't open up at all. And to make sure it stays shut I don't have a pressure source on the wastegate nipple.

It spikes to like 28psi and falls to 25psi near redline (6k). Stock cams. I don't think welding the wastegate shut will have much of an effect to hold more boost. I'm guessing this turbo is maxed. I was hoping for a solid 30psi.

None the less great turbo for $237!

No shaft play evident as of now either. Boosting relatively hard everyday.

I guess it's time to advance the timing for more power, I have it set at 20 degrees peak. Going to try for 22-23 degrees. And lean it out to low 11s afr. Running 10.0 or richer now.

What fuel are you using? Thats a lot of boost, but anyways 20 degs of timing is quite good, Id work on those super rich 10.0 afr's you mentioned before worrying about timing.
You have a large chunk of power waiting for you by running leaner, like 11.4-5 ish. If you have good enough fuel, hell even run leaner than that like up to 12.4-5...

From my researches this sized turbo peaks at about 24-26 psi at redline ( 7k) Squeezing out more boost after that level will generally just increase torque or your power down low but boost will still fall back down before holding long enough to increase peak power.

Reading about the kind of boost some ppl squeeze out, I am confident thatI still have a lot more power airflow wise, in my setup as I have some boost leaks and only run pump gas, but right now im seeing 23-25psi spikes always falling to 20-21 by 7k.

OP your dyno numbers are actually quite impressive even for race gas and even for if it was a MHI turbo.
Id like to see what youd dyno on pump gas btw. Im surprised your able to hold the amount of boost that you do.
The E316g is a great turbo, and getting them knock off, i mean the risks are obvious, but if it works it works right....

Well i tuned a little more, and voila. Here's a log for you guys. Keep in mind this turbo is unported.:thumb:I had to do this short run in second because i didnt want to make the neighbors mad:)Checkout the hp estimate around 5300rpm

Just to be safe I would richen the fuel sliders up some from 4,000 and below. Glad we finally got it running good for you.:thumb:

Thanks jay. I'm hoping to get to the dyno soon. Just got a few other little goodies to put on first:DThat log was on 8 gallons 93pump with a gallon of toluene added to it;)I really dont think the toluene helped much at all. It's burnt out of the tank now, and the car runs the same.

I haven't had a chance to pull some logs yet. I say it's more powerful at 12-14psi than the 14b at 20 is because the 14b never spun 3rd gear as soon as boost hit. Both tires spin even with my slowboy lsd insert. I really need to get my wideband hooked up so I can see what 20+ will do.

OhhhhhhKAYY...

THE TURBO BLEW!

In 3rd gear rolling towards 7k it suddenly pops. I thought I blew an intercooler pipe. Pulled over and find out the turbo's blown.

I believe the turbo blew due to trying to run these insane boost levels. 28psi dropping to 25-26psi redline. I have not torn it down to find out what the damage is but I believe the shaft snapped. The compressor wheel is laying dead on the bottom of the housing.

I've concluded this turbo isn't meant for high boost performance but more of a stocker replacement at stock boost levels. My buddy who has one in his Galant VR4 has been running it for 7k miles at 15psi. His turbo is doing fine.

AND, I honestly don't think I'm not one of the unlucky ones. It's crap. But I was boosting it at the very limit.

I purchased this from SSautochrome. Anyone know if they warrant these turbos?

What fuel are you using? Thats a lot of boost, but anyways 20 degs of timing is quite good, Id work on those super rich 10.0 afr's you mentioned before worrying about timing.
You have a large chunk of power waiting for you by running leaner, like 11.4-5 ish. If you have good enough fuel, hell even run leaner than that like up to 12.4-5...

I'm running E85. No knock great fuel.

OhhhhhhKAYY...

THE TURBO BLEW!

I purchased this from SSautochrome. Anyone know if they warrant these turbos?
Dirrect from SSAutochrome's site:

"SSAutochrome Inc and XS-Power Inc performance products sold from our websites or from our Ebay Auctions have a 30 day warranty against manufacturer defects. Warranty is limited to replacement or refund of products purchased. Warranty will not be honored to damage or malfunction due to improper installation, misuse, unauthorized repair, alterations, or externally induced physical damage. SSAutoChrome Inc and XS-Power Inc shall not be liable for any consequential, special or contingent damages, expense, or injury arising directly or indirectly from any defect in its goods or from the use of any goods, defective or otherwise. Any warranties implied by law are limited in duration to the duration of this warranty.

Any claim made under this 30 day warranty must be pre-approved by SSAutoChrome Inc before returning the item. You will be required to provide valid proof of date of purchase. Customer will be responsible for shipping costs related to returning the product for warranty consideration. We will not honor any warranty claims if made past the 30 day period."

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. For double what you paid, you could've had a reliable 16G (or possibly less for a good low-mileage used one)....now you're at their mercy for warranty service.

I haven't had a chance to pull some logs yet. I say it's more powerful at 12-14psi than the 14b at 20 is because the 14b never spun 3rd gear as soon as boost hit. Both tires spin even with my slowboy lsd insert. I really need to get my wideband hooked up so I can see what 20+ will do.

Well i would say your crazy. There's no way that the ebay 16g pulls harder at 12-14psi than a 14b at 20. I've experienced them both, and the difference is huge. The 16g at 12-14psi is a terd. And as far as spinning third at 12-14 psi. I think you need some new tires. I'm at 22psi, and i barely spin third. :thumb:

Well i would say your crazy. There's no way that the ebay 16g pulls harder at 12-14psi than a 14b at 20. I've experienced them both, and the difference is huge. The 16g at 12-14psi is a terd. And as far as spinning third at 12-14 psi. I think you need some new tires. I'm at 22psi, and i barely spin third. :thumb:

Id have to agree ^....

As for my experience so far with the MHI quality, I got my evo16g from my friends gsx, he put about 5 or 6k on it and he always boosted around 22- 25 psi on his daily driver.... Now Ive had this turbo on the car for well over a year now and for the past 8 months my boost has been anywhere from 20-26 psi on my daily driver. It has well over 10k miles on it right now, very minimum shaft play, and has taken the car down to the high 11s on race gas at the track.

On my old Gst that I sold back in 07, I used to have a evo gt 16g ( from turbochargers.com) but it was blown and rebuilt with MHI internals before i bought it (for like 250bucks) I boosted that turbo 15-16psi daily and put maybe 3 or 4k on it before I sold it, and the last I heard the guy who bought that car from me hasnt had any issues yet with the turbo but I dont know how much he boosts or anything.

Tore it down.

The compressor wheel must of broken off and spun freely inside the housing. Most of the outer blades are chewed up/gone. Exhaust side looks fine.

Tore it down.

The compressor wheel must of broken off and spun freely inside the housing. Most of the outer blades are chewed up/gone. Exhaust side looks fine.

Get a new Evo 16g and have DB do a tune. I have a 2G and just had it tuned out good and made 358Hp/343tq awd on a dyno dynamics... Just my opinion.

It spins 3rd at 14psi, I can get my video cam out if you like and film it. Granted the 14b was toast, this still pulls harder at low boost than the 14b maxed out. My tires aren't the best, but they're decent. Goodyear eagle rs-a's. But if this one ever goes bad, it will get mitsu internals with garrett bearings. I'm pretty happy with it so far though.

But if this one ever goes bad, it will get mitsu internals with garrett bearings. I'm pretty happy with it so far though.
To properly rebuild a knockoff 16G you'll need:

- Garrett T3 Journal Bearings
- Garrett T3 Turbine Shaft Seal
- Mitsu Thrust Plate and Collar
- Mitsu Compressor Seal
- Mitsu Oil Shield

They make it hard to rebuild because you basically need to buy (2) rebuild kits to do it properly, but it's possible.

It spins 3rd at 14psi, I can get my video cam out if you like and film it. Granted the 14b was toast, this still pulls harder at low boost than the 14b maxed out. My tires aren't the best, but they're decent. Goodyear eagle rs-a's. But if this one ever goes bad, it will get mitsu internals with garrett bearings. I'm pretty happy with it so far though.

Actually if you could get a video that would be awesome:thumb:. I just remember my 16g hardly breaking the tires loose in first at 14psi.

Get a new Evo 16g and have DB do a tune. I have a 2G and just had it tuned out good and made 358Hp/343tq awd on a dyno dynamics... Just my opinion.

What fuel, more information on setup would be nice.

Actually if you could get a video that would be awesome:thumb:. I just remember my 16g hardly breaking the tires loose in first at 14psi.

Ah, you fwd guys... Loosing traction isnt cool :D

Ah, you fwd guys... Loosing traction isnt cool :D[/QUOTE]

^^^AGREED;)It sucks

So, what's the best dyno numbers and or MPH in the 1/4 mile on one of these turbos? Can they keep up with a "real' e316g?

I've trapped 109 on a clean run at 20psi. I have to get to the track, and dyno soon to see some times, and power

What fuel, more information on setup would be nice.

E85, Evo 16g, 880cc injectors, DSMLink, intake, 3" exhaust, comp 101200 cams, stock 7bolt 358hp/343tq at 27psi and 348hp/319tq at 22psi dyno'd awd on Dyno Dynamics.

Last year, on a rough tune I ran 12.005@115 with a 1.82 60' on some crap 110 race gas. Should be much better this year. I'm gonna try to make it to a track on Wed.

E85, Evo 16g, 880cc injectors, DSMLink, intake, 3" exhaust, comp 101200 cams, stock 7bolt 358hp/343tq at 27psi and 348hp/319tq at 22psi dyno'd awd on Dyno Dynamics.

Last year, on a rough tune I ran 12.005@115 with a 1.82 60' on some crap 110 race gas. Should be much better this year. I'm gonna try to make it to a track on Wed.

Nice, a good, and well thought out E316g setup with some e85 and aggressive boost/timing curves should equal a high to mid 11 sec car with good launching/driving.
Your right there !

I see your a 2g, ( heavy) You could just rip out as much weight as possible and that 12.0 will look like 11 something in no time. LOL

Appears your 16g is starting to choke on airflow.
According to what you just said, you only gained 10 whp with 5 more psi. So Id
like to assume you cant hold anymore than 22psi to redline reguardless of how high you crank the boost.... But on a side note, those 5 psi did gain you a nice 22 ft/lbs peak torque, and likely brought up the whole curve.

I dont know how aggressive your AFR or timing map looks, (?)
but if your trying to reach some stupid high amount of WHP out of that little 16g setup;
you may benefit with focasing more on top end to help that turbo flow more.
I recall most guys pushing their 16gs in the HIGH 300- low 400 whp range have SMIM's and bigger cams than 272s... ( Not saying you should do that, just thinking out loud.)

I recall most guys pushing their 16gs in the HIGH 300- low 400 whp range have SMIM's and bigger cams than 272s... ( Not saying you should do that, just thinking out loud.)
Your thinking out is good advice. But don't do more than 272 duration. This would be FP2/fp2x/272/bc272/ffwd272. The 212/213* @ .05" duration cams are PERFECT for the velocity neccesary to max out the flow of any 16g turbo.

Thanks for the response, however the ebay 16g was just a for fun test turbo.

I've already stepped up to an scm61 for the win.

It was fun but play time is over. :mad: :rocks:

So, what's the best dyno numbers and or MPH in the 1/4 mile on one of these turbos? Can they keep up with a "real' e316g?

From my experience this turbo is capable of keeping up with a real evo 16g. If not it will perform at least at 95% of what a real evo16g can pound out. Performance wise it'll hang.

It's the just cheap parts that negates this turbo away from being really reliable and long lasting like a real MHI turbo.

The only way to be sure is if someone did back to back testing with the same car/setup/tune but switching from a MHI to a GT, or ebay and running it at the same boost and seeing what changes in the power curve, peak HP.
( Swapping turbos while car was still on the dyno for accuracy.)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back