The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

EVO III Big 16G stock boost???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxawd99

Probationary Member
Sep 22, 2003
--_United_States
I searched but to no success.

I am finally having my engine put back together after sitting in pieces for over a year now. Over the past year I've bought a few add-on parts figuring I'd use them some day soon and now the day is here. Currently I only have full IC piping, HKS BOV, intake, walbro fuel pump & cat-back. I have purchased an EVO III big16g recently, and was wondering if it is ok to have it installed when I put the engine back together and back in the car instead of wasting time putting the factory turbo in and changing later on. Do i need a Boost controller to do this or can this 16g turbo be run at the factory boost settings(w/o driveability problems)? I really don't have the time for a lot of tuning right now etc, but it just seems foolish to put the factory turbo in now and then pay to have the 16g installed later at double the installation costs. Keep in mind I'm not expecting the 16g at factory boost fr performance, just convenience for now, but i don't want a car that's not driveable. I'm looking to buy a greddy profec b used when i get a chance but not in a big hurry since my $ is being spent on the engine install etc... Also I have the 2g install kit w/ it, but will this bolt-on to the factory 2g manifold(ported)?

What do you guys think? Good idea(safe) or bad idea(unsafe)

Connect a hose directly from your boost source to the wastegate actuator. Connected like that, the flapper will just open at whatever the diaphram pressure is. (Should be between 10~12psi.)

With the 2G install kit, the turbo will bolt up to the manifold with no issues. Driveability shouldn't be an issue either. You have a wally pump, so supplying fuel for 10~14 psi on a 16G isn't an issue. It seems counter-productive to install the stock turbo only to install the 16G at a later date.

Just keep in mind that without any sort of real boost control, you may see some boost creep. Bearing that in mind, just keep an eye on the boost guage. If it starts to creep past 14psi, get out of it.

Have fun and good luck.

Thanks for the info, I guess i'll just get the boost controller now and have it done....what would be a good boost setting with current mods and no injectors?

Well for starters atleast rewire the factory fuel pump to get abit more flow out of it. As for boost, since you have no way of logging I would keep it 14 psi or lower. You may be able to get away with 15 or so but with no logger you could also do some damage. I ran up to 15 psi with my evoIII (but was using dsmlink at the time so I knew exactly what was going on) before I installed my fuel system and saw up 107% injector duty cycle. Even at 14 psi the car will be much quicker then the t25 ever was at 16 psi.

Some people recommend running the stock turbo after a rebuild because of the metal that can enter the turbo during motor break in. If you are going to run the evo, change the oil often during break in to prevent this.

Pj97GST said:
Read his mods bro. He has a Wally. ;)

My mistake, I read his profile to see his mods :coy: (hint hint, update your profile :p ) Is that a 190 or 255 pump. If its the 255 you should be looking at a fpr as well (or did I miss that as well ROFL )

yes it is a 255...this is what i was worried about, i don't want to do all this "modding" just to drive the car. I'm not really woried about additional power right now. What FPR do you recommend. Sounds like I'd need a lot of tuning?

Alot of guy run the Aeromotive 13109 regulator, works well and most dsm vendors sell them and the install kit that you will require, info can be found here:

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/pdetail.php?prod=10

Only thing, is to make sure you put some pipe dope on the adjusting bolt. Its a parallel thread so if you don't you will have a small vacuum/boost leak. As for needing alot of tunning, I would say not really if your going to be running low boost just to get the thing up & running.

Pj97GST said:
Connect a hose directly from your boost source to the wastegate actuator. Connected like that, the flapper will just open at whatever the diaphram pressure is. (Should be between 10~12psi.)

With the 2G install kit, the turbo will bolt up to the manifold with no issues. Driveability shouldn't be an issue either. You have a wally pump, so supplying fuel for 10~14 psi on a 16G isn't an issue. It seems counter-productive to install the stock turbo only to install the 16G at a later date.

Just keep in mind that without any sort of real boost control, you may see some boost creep. Bearing that in mind, just keep an eye on the boost guage. If it starts to creep past 14psi, get out of it.

Have fun and good luck.
Good post except for one thing, a boost controller will not solved boost creep. An EVO3 will most likely creep with moderate to free flow exhaust system with or without a MBC, the solution is to properly port the turbine/o2 housing prior to installation.

oldman said:
Good post except for one thing, a boost controller will not solved boost creep. An EVO3 will most likely creep with moderate to free flow exhaust system with or without a MBC, the solution is to properly port the turbine/o2 housing prior to installation.

Thanks for going more indepth Bruce. I guess that I should have made myself a bit clearer and actually mentioned porting and it's significance to combating creep. (I tend to associate porting as an integral addition to consistent boost control)

I forget at times that the Evo 16's are extremely suceptable to creeping if not ported. I've got a standard unported Big 16G that creep is not an issue on. Whether I run diaphram pressure or 20+ psi, my boost is always solid.

:thumb:

wholy crap Pj97GST you car makes 29.9 hp!

<------:)

Can a stock GSX turbo(t-25) handle 15psi with only a intake, filter, boost gauge and MBC? When my car spools up sometimes it feels like the car is going no where.

03Black350Z said:
Can a stock GSX turbo(t-25) handle 15psi with only a intake, filter, boost gauge and MBC? When my car spools up sometimes it feels like the car is going no where.

Not a good idea to run raised boost on the t25 with a stock 2g blow off valve (bov). They usually leak around 12 psi so any added boost and you are just making the turbo work extra hard to try & keep up with the leaky bov. This will really shorten the t25s life. Once you replace the bov you will be fine at 15 psi with the mods you mentioned.

oldman said:

Hells yes you gotta port that thing boost creep will KILL you!
I just fixed my boost creep on my evo3 it was one hell of a pain, but follow the porting steps fully and do not halfass anything, it will take you a few hours and some beer to do it right. But it is worth it!

here is the link that i followed

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186525

you should post pictures of your progress on the site and we will help you along.

Here is my personal porting thread

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225032

Good Luck and keep us updated :rocks:

I turned down the boost but when I floor my car it still reads 15 psi and when it past about 4300-4500 rpm the boost needle on the gauge starts dropping. Is that normal? Sorry about these questions I'm a newbie and this is my first turbo car. I just want to know my car better and turbos better.

The most common cause of that would either be an exhaust leak pre-turbine housing or that the turbo is going out. Pop the hood and rev the engine by playing with the throttle plate and try to "feel" for an exhaust leak (holding your hand far enough away, obviously) and check for shaftplay would be my suggestions.

03Black350Z said:
I turned down the boost but when I floor my car it still reads 15 psi and when it past about 4300-4500 rpm the boost needle on the gauge starts dropping. Is that normal? Sorry about these questions I'm a newbie and this is my first turbo car. I just want to know my car better and turbos better.
This is what the T25 is well known for, spike.....settle.....drops off at higher rpm. The leaky stock 2g bov doesn't help either.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back