The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

E-Bay EVO III Big 16g STAYING STRONG

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just for the record, turbochargers do not require any break-in like an engine would. Once the turbo is installed and the engine is started, a 10-minute idling period to verify that the oil lines are not leaking is plenty.

If the turbo is getting oil, it's ready to perform.

This is true, however i always wait about 50 - 100 miles or so before slamming up the boost on a turbo thats brand new. Thats just me though. :thumb:

even then if its been used and shows no signs of problems it can still take a shit.
i was once a believer in ebay 16gs but after 5000 miles shit hit the fan. i did run the hell out of it tho.
now i have hx35 and never lookin back

I have a cx racing 16g that has over 14k on it, no shaft play at all, sees 23 psi daily, only reason its coming off is because i picked up a 57 trim, bought the cx racing 16g brand new off a buddy after my mhi 16g took a shit after 2500 miles, its done its job for me...theres a tonne of ebay lemmons out there tho

For $315 shipped....Man you can't beat that. Not saying everyone has good luck with these turbos, but I am not having one issue at all with it...

If these "GT" turbos become more reliable (which many suspect they will), then you can get your little evo3 turbo for even cheaper!!!

Almost four years has passed, and Matt was right....the price has dropped significantly (around $200 shipped now for your average Chinese 16G on eBay), but unfortunately the quality hasn't improved by any drastic measure. There are guys having good luck, but the vast majority is still shopping for a new turbo after 5,000 miles.

Almost four years has passed, and Matt was right....the price has dropped significantly (around $200 shipped now for your average Chinese 16G on eBay), but unfortunately the quality hasn't improved by any drastic measure. There are guys having good luck, but the vast majority is still shopping for a new turbo after 5,000 miles.

too true, sadly for every 15 that are good there are probably 100 that are junk...and 15 is probably being generous, still, they can be ok for somebody that needs a turbo to get by on untill a good upgrade is available or they can afford the one they ultimatley want, but at the same time why not just pick up a cheap 14B that will most likely flow the same if not more than most of the chinese turbos out there and have piece of mind knowing its solid, right?

@eclipseryda

it was brand new, but i bought it from a guy locally. i hogged out the wastegate hole like jusmx's link said in another thread, im not turning the boost up till i replace my leaking drain tube. i have everything to max this bastard out already otherwise.

Yes, REAL mhi trs are holding their value used actually. I bought a couple 14b turbos used for $150sh about a year ago and sold one of those right away for that same price. I can't seem to find any real 16g turbos for less than $300; and most are more than that. I sold my small 16g for $300. The rest of the world is seeing that the ebay 16g isn't getting any more reliable.

I picked up a "Godspeed" Ported Big 16G off of Ebay. I have yet to put it on. I actually have to send it back. The attachment point for the WG Actuator Arm to the Flapper on the outside of the turbo (top of the Actuator Arm) is somewhat malformed. I am going to have a shop here go over it before I put it on and do some additional porting. It will not be installed until spring. I am collecting parts to do a bunch of work at once. The parts I will be getting installed/work done will be as follows:

Cams 272s (probably Deltas or BC combo with springs from ExtremePSI)
Valvesprings/Retainers
3G Lifters
porting/polishing
cam gears
FMIC
Ported Exhaust Housing
Ported 02 Housing
Exedy Master Cylinder
New Slave Cylinder
DSM Link

Eventually I will be swapping out the Ebay 16G for a Super 20G. I want to see and give my thoughts on the Ebay Turbo.

Ive been thinking about picking one of these up and try and put it on my MR2.

im jealous!! i got my mhi b16g with install kit for $800 years before they had this ebay turbo. now friends are rocking it for less than $400. running 12s. i got to admit best bang for the buck. but if i was a hater because i ended up spending more money on something similar i would bash this ebay turbo.. LOL

I just bought another one of these turbos the last one lasted me two years and i punished it until it died. I then sold the turbine housing and wastegate for 70 dollars. So for 2 years of fun i lost 100 dollar bill and some change. But i have no car payments and i figure what the heck. Do i want a real mhi evo3 heck yes!!
But now they are $899.00. So i'm going to stock pile parts of china turbos.

I will post my housing part number. I would like to know every ones part numbers.
Maybe we can start learning which ones may be the better ones.

Soon as i get my turbo i will post the part numbers on it with my old ebay turbo.

I have to say i ran my fastest time ever on that turbo. I ran 7.90s in 8th mile and it had more in it. It never smoked. What killed it was shaft play. Of course i injected water methanol right into the compressor housing!!!! STUPID I KNOW!!!! But you live and learn. That did not kill it at first. I ran my time after this and the turbo last much longer LOL. So it may have lasted even longer.

without having to read this entire thread and maybe not find the answer..what's the most HP anyone's put out of one of the egay eIII 16g's and to be honest how do the compressor blades compare in reguards to a real eIII 16g/?

how do the compressor blades compare in reguards to a real eIII 16g/?
  • Compressor blades are nearly twice as thick....thicker than even a MHI Big 16G wheel.

• The blades are weaker and will break instantly if you try to straighten them, even if they're slightly bent- they're just shitty cast aluminum. In comparison, I've successfully straightened somewhat-bent blades on all types of MHI wheels on turbos that are still operating to this day.

• Compressor itself is heavier and less-efficient than a MHI Evo III compressor, so I truly doubt you'll see the airflow numbers that MHI Evo III owners have seen.

If you're lucky enough to get a good one and it lasts, you'll have a turbo that definitely flows more than a 14B and that lasts a couple years based on the results of James above and few others. If it blows right away, maybe the seller will honor some type of warranty....if not you will have wasted $200-$250.

Thanks Justin, i honestly don't want one but know afew people who have them (never seen em just heard from text "i bought a 16g from ebya for 225 dollars' LOL ) Anyway, just thught it might be something to play with but i'd rathr get a real big16g than a crap eIII that might seperate it;s copressor housing at the "cast marking" or should i say "glueing seam" LOL

I am also picking me up a spare 14b turbo. I will have 2 of them. I will keep you posted on this turbo. I do think it will make it. But i expect to make adjustments straight out of the box. It just sucks that the real mhi evo3 jumped out of my range. I can't get that past my wife $899.00 LOL! But of course used you can still find some cheap. But they may need a rebuild when you get it or it may not even be the real deal! Or it could be perfect. That turbo i bought from Justin the 20g ebayer was a good turbo and hit hard. I still have it. But i bought this other for quicker spool.Aww im just going to start a stock pile. I know that the real deal is of course the better turbo hands down. I payed 187.00 shipped for this turbo from the same vendor. Last one i payed 225.00 shipped. So hey i saved 38 bucks!!

I got my turbo today. All the gaskets was crushed in the box by the turbo. I wasn't happy about that but i didn't need them thankfully. So i proceeded to go ahead and bolt it all on. I did not port this wastegate hole. Your ###### thinking why not? Because i have been suffering from boost fall off for way to long! I don't care if my boost goes up. I care if it goes up and then falls off! This way i can set it to 17 or so and if ends up around 22 i will be happy with the power curve.

Any how i installed the turbo and let it run for about 15 minutes with no reving just idling for at least 15 minutes. I had no leaks and no smoke issues. So i proceeded to take it for a drive. The turbo seemed to spool up very quick compared to my last turbo. I drove it for about 10 miles and stepped on it a couple times and it pulled good. Boost was around 15 psi and it was climbing slowly which made it have a nice linear feel. I have had no problems thus this far. I will be driving it back and forth to work sense this is really a work car. I don't drag race but about once every 2 years!
But i will run this car this year at least once. Anywho i will let you know when it lets me down!

Hello, Ebay turbo fans. Just an update i have put 4000 miles on this turbo. It is doing well. I took it to the track which is 8th mile last friday. Straight from work with no prepping for the track. It was hot out 95 when i arrived. My car was full weight even a/c is on my car. I ran a best time of 8.079 at 87.90 mph. I was pleased. So i took it home. The boost was hitting 20 psi i had just over a quater tank of fuel. I did purchase 1 gallon of 110 race fuel. So thats it. Turbo is holding on.

Thought I'd pop in while my car is down... again. I've put about 4K miles on my e-bay E316G (CxRacing) including one catastrophic engine failure... http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/426850-head-gasket-likely-more.html Never boosted less than 18 psi and have ran as much as 24-26 psi. So far it's running strong, no shaft play, no diminished performance and doesn't burn oil. For a little over $200.00 I'm liking this turbo.

Maybe I just got lucky or maybe CxRacing's quality control is better, who knows? But it does work.

Just an update. The Ebay turbo is still going strong. I have put 10000 miles more on my car this year . I drive it 46 miles 4 days a week. The turbo is doing real good .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back