The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Drag Week 2G DSM - 8 Second Street Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Man, do I suck at updating this thread. Soooo much has happened, thanks to everyone who follows me on FB or IG, I do slightly better at updating those platforms but this one is obviously better for tracking stuff and details.

In an effort to get things updated here quickly, I'm going to try to give a bulleted list of what I've done since my last update here and then bombard you with pics and some videos. I want to say that I couldn't be happier with this car right now. This has seriously become the ultimate DSM IMO. If I get some time, I might try to make some walk around videos of the car showing details and why I think that but no promises.

• Fixed the transmission issue above, it just ended up being an odd part issue that was hard to trace down.
  • Did a bunch of street tuning to get the car dialed in
  • Put Evo X Paddle shifters in the car - I LOVE these
  • Won IFO FIP at Atco 2021 - Way too cold of a day that started out rainy. Managed a bunch of runs in the 9.20's and 30's and beat Rich Ong in the final on a holeshot!
  • Took the car to Cecil County the next weekend - Went 9.13 on the first pass, won first round in Pro Dial but broke the rear diff at the hit second round
  • Got invited to Roadkill Nights and got to race on the historic Woodward Ave - Ended up making the top 8 in small tire out of ~150 cars but lost to Mt Dew first round
  • Put a bunch of street miles on the car on the streets of Detroit going to/from Woodward.
  • Off to Dragweek 2021!
    • Loaded up and felt incredibly prepared
    • First hit on Day 1 - Broken 300m tcase right at the hit - jfc
    • Put a stock tcase back in as it was all I had as a spare
    • Went 9.9x with the stock tcase obviously babying the car off the line
    • TRE just happens to be 20 minutes from the track, Aaron from TRE built me a 300m tcase and delivered it to the track! Off to Norwalk where we installed the new tcase before making a hit on Day 2.
    • The rest of the week went incredibly uneventful for us, long drives, late nights and some great times. We ended up putting nearly 1300 miles on the car that week, towing a very loaded down trailer.
      • Trans, tcase, rear, 4 slicks, cylinder head, starter, alternator, battery, tons of tools, etc, etc, etc. I suspect the trailer fully loaded was around 2k lbs.
    • Averaged 9.66 for the week and got faster every day
    • Won quickest 4 cylinder!
  • 8's! A few weeks later I decided to drive the car to Atco with Martin Borton from RX4Speed with the intention of running 8's and driving home, or blowing it up. We only got 4 passes in but the final run (and literally one of the last runs of the day) was an 8.96 at 152 mph! Still pump gas with ethanol described earlier. And she drove home 100% fine.
  • Sick Week!
    • Tom Bailey created a new event last fall called Sick Week, it's meant to be a drag and drive event that's slightly more laid back and fun but still the same challenge. I had to try it out. The event sold out in 3 minutes but I got in.
    • Made some small changes to the car went through the engine and trans but got essentially no testing in besides one quick street drive on a 40 degree day before loading up for Florida for the event.
    • Averaged 9.23 at 147 for this event and went a 9.03 at 151 on the final day!
    • Won quickest 4 cylinder
    • Won Sick Week Freaks - a class that is basically everything except V8's (diesels, electric, 4 and 6 cylinders and rotaries)
And now that's where we are today. I changed the oil in the car when I got home and looked it over some and it's ready to go to IFO next month. It definitely has a lot left in it but the goal in these events is to survive so I didn't want to push too hard on the full wet block. At this point I've but well over 2000 miles on the car towing a heavy trailer and racing the car each day. Who would have ever thought this was possible?

I have a Magnus Tcase for the car and a 3000GT rear that need to go in still, just waiting on a few things. Then I think I can push it a bit harder to the 60ft so I don't have to lean on the engine too hard.

The cars race weight is around 2825 give or take depending on where the fuel level is. It's not crazy heavy but it's certainly heavier than I'd like. About 150 lbs of that is attributed to the pump gas setup and the ~16 gallons of pump gas I'm usually running with to make sure I don't starve the pump in the lovely 2G tank.

I'm not sure what's next for the car. I'm not doing any more drag and drives this year unless there's a weekend one not too far from me that pops up. I have too many other trips planned and can't afford another week away from work. For the remainder of this year, I've considered pulling the motor and putting a filled motor in it, pulling the pump gas setup out, putting a 67mm on the car and seeing how fast I can get it to go, but then I'd need to put it all back for next year so I'm not sure.

The dragster is also just about ready to race with both billet motors set and just about together so that's going to consume some time. And if that isn't enough, I bought a radial tire mustang that I'm putting a turbo Coyote in to hopefully go Ultra Street racing with eventually.

Now onto the photo dump, in no particular order.

Last edited:
Jeff Oppenheim - one of the legends of drag and drive events in his traditional pose - Somewhere in Michigan
IMG_2012.jpg

Historic Woodward Ave!
IMG_2050.jpg

Me and my dad
IMG_2099.jpg

The short time I was out on Mountain Dew captured in a pic! haha
IMG_2330.JPG
IMG_2331.JPG

Dragweek day 1 carnage - huge thanks to TRE for building and delivering a new 300M tcase!
IMG_2546.jpg
IMG_2550.jpg

You can fit a lot of stuff in the back of a 2G - this is what it looked like the whole trip
IMG_2554.jpg

Pic with Scott Glassbrook - I don't even have a clue where this was anymore (Ohio or Indiana maybe?) Everything blends together during these events.
IMG_2621.jpg

Awesome view from the road during Dragweek 2021
IMG_2674.jpg

It was an honor to race down the track at Indy. Even cooler to drive the car in, make a hit and drive it out!
IMG_2689.JPG

Chicago traffic at rush hour. Street car didn't care.
IMG_2732.jpg

This is what it's all about!
IMG_2792.jpg

Some super cool 1320 video shots
IMG_2857.JPG
IMG_2858.JPG

Back home - incredibly messy - spy the new mustang in the background and the dragster to the left
IMG_2888.jpg

8's! So stoked
IMG_3125.jpg

And ready to drive back home after clicking off an 8. Only changed the tires
IMG_3126.jpg

All 4 hits from that day
IMG_3141.jpg

2022 - Sick Week!

Old Town in Orlando
IMG_4452.jpg

A1A - across the bay from NASA
IMG_4470.jpg

Just a bit of heavy rain - towing a trailer - in florida - in an 8 second DSM
IMG_4493.jpg

More storms looking out over the Atlantic in the background
IMG_4495.jpg

More 1320 video pics!
IMG_4971.JPG
IMG_4973.JPG

Oof - that bald head :(
IMG_4974.JPG
IMG_4975.JPG

Some crazy fog in Gainesville - we couldn't even tell if we were at the track when we were pulling in it was so bad. Spy the LS powered AWD 3000GT next to me
IMG_4976.JPG
IMG_4977.JPG
IMG_4978.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

Another action shot from Bradenton Florida
IMG_4940.JPG

As soon as I saw Sick the mag post these trophies I wanted one but I wasn't sure I'd have enough to get one.

IMG_4581.jpg

Hell yeah!

D3C03000-4E40-41C0-8289-DCB80DF19CE8.JPG

One of the coolest trophies ever - such an honor to have it in my house
IMG_4941.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to post the updates here Tony. It'll be really nice to have this archived here.
Thanks for being patient with me Chris! I appreciate all the support along the way.

Thanks for being patient with me Chris! I appreciate all the support along the way.
Posting an update like this takes a good amount of time and effort that not everyone will fully appreciate. It's easier to post quick updates on social media, I get that. And you don't get the same flood of likes and replies here that you do on social networks. I get that too. But I like to think that your update here will end up being appreciated by a lot more as time goes by and more people end up seeing it over the years. It will inspire others for years. I obviously can't measure that or be 100% certain that will be the case, but as someone who has invested so much into this community over the past 2 decades, I can say that I appreciate you supporting our efforts by taking the time to post your updates here.

I appreciate all those DSMers who continue to push our platform forward who take the time to support our efforts by participating here, sharing their journey and telling their story here. And others do too. Some choose not to, and that's really unfortunate. But hopefully more of them will come around and start supporting us here, instead of supporting the big social networks.

I certainly appreciate the updates. Speaking of Facebook, maybe you're on mine? I dunno. We don't have our real names posted here.

Maybe it's listed but curious what size turbo/boost level used. Our setups look similar and dying to know where I stand. Getting close to track days though 😁

What's the YouTube channel name?

Screenshot_20220225-130635_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220225-130623_Gallery.jpg

My youtube is drivengsx. I post a lot more to my instagram though which is @tony_turbo4 I keep meaning to get back to posting on youtube but it never makes it to the top of my priority list.

I've had two different turbos on the car this past year. For Drag Week and that 8.96 pass, I was on a Xona XR10568 which is an ultra compact 72mm. I had to run just over 50 PSI to get into the 8's with that. I borrowed a Garrett G45 72mm for Sick Week and it managed the 9.03 at 151 at only about 44 PSI average. The Garrett is a MUCH larger frame turbo though which made fitting it much more challenging.

Both turbos should be able to do quite a bit more than what I'm doing with them. The car is on the fuel system talked about earlier in this thread which is pump gas primaries with ethanol secondary injectors. The AFR's and timing are also ultra conservative in the name of living for thousands of miles and lots of pulls.

That looks like one of the bigger S400 Borgs on your car?

My youtube is drivengsx. I post a lot more to my instagram though which is @tony_turbo4 I keep meaning to get back to posting on youtube but it never makes it to the top of my priority list.

I've had two different turbos on the car this past year. For Drag Week and that 8.96 pass, I was on a Xona XR10568 which is an ultra compact 72mm. I had to run just over 50 PSI to get into the 8's with that. I borrowed a Garrett G45 72mm for Sick Week and it managed the 9.03 at 151 at only about 44 PSI average. The Garrett is a MUCH larger frame turbo though which made fitting it much more challenging.

Both turbos should be able to do quite a bit more than what I'm doing with them. The car is on the fuel system talked about earlier in this thread which is pump gas primaries with ethanol secondary injectors. The AFR's and timing are also ultra conservative in the name of living for thousands of miles and lots of pulls.

That looks like one of the bigger S400 Borgs on your car?
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Borg, S476 SXE on mine. Just waiting on a new fuel filter that was supposed to be here today. Apparently when the pre and post filters get gunked up with E85 crud, they don't like to run very well.

20220224_172301.jpg

20220224_174035.jpg

The 76mm SX-E is a pretty impressive turbo. I assume T4 with the 87mm turbine wheel? I went 6.52 at 206 MPH on that turbo in the dragster. That equates in that car to somewhere between 1400 and 1500hp and that was done at under 60 PSI. I think I could push it further still, but I started running a class without turbo restrictions and put the 80mm on the car. I have an 88mm SX-E here too that might have to get a try soon. :)

I figure I should share an update on my other projects too. The dragster is close to ready to go out with a whole host of changes. We have 2 billet blocks for it, some new transmission goodies and a couple turbos to try out. I'm excited to get back out in this thing once the weather breaks. I've learned a lot since we last raced it that I think can make things go much smoother, but it will take some time to creep up on things with the new setup. Maybe I should do a build thread on this with more details on the setup and what we've done so far? Thoughts Chris?

IMG_8492.jpg

IMG_4095.jpg

IMG_9006.JPG

And as if I didn't have enough going on, an empty spot in my garage was screaming at me to be filled so I picked up a 6.50 certified radial tire Mustang roller. I'm putting a single turbo Coyote in it to eventually run Ultra Street I think. Progress has been super slow so far but I need to get back to this thing now that Sick Week is over.

IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_4164.jpg

8.79 at 156 mph!

Still 100% street trim. I literally only changed the oil since Sick Week. And I won Import Face Off's Forced Induction Pro class at Cecil yesterday!

IMG_5263.jpg

IMG_5236.jpg

IMG_5245.jpg

IMG_8786.jpg

:dsm: Congrats man! That's awesome. What were you running against in that class?
There were 8 cars in FIP. Two 1G's (Tony Marx and Deric Dupey), another 2G (Martin Borton), an Evo 8/9, a civic, an Audi TT and a twin turbo Audi R8.

Impressive! Were there any videos of the runs? Would love to check those out.

Just for you Chris! It's going to take me longer to do anything from Sick Week but I'll work on that at some point.

On another note, I was able to confirm that the previous best 4 cylinder average for a drag and drive event was 9.37 by a turbo 4 cylinder Mustang. That means my 9.23 average at Sick Week is now the quickest 4 cylinder average at a drag and drive event! ... for now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back