The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Does my ball bearing Precision PT-series turbo need an oil restrictor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JusMX141

Dec 13, 2005
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
This topic came up a few months ago in a Facebook discussion where I posted a pile of good information so I thought I'd share the info here as well where it can be cataloged and searched. This is only in reference to the "newer" ball bearing Precision turbos which have an air-cooled bearing housing (no coolant ports) made starting in 2012 or so and beyond.

The short answer is "no", and here's why.

Back in the day, Precision's ball bearing lineup (those with coolant ports on the bearing housing) was entirely Garrett-based and used Garrett parts. So the bearing sleeve was a Garrett GT40-type and had the standard steel/brass/phenolic retainers to keep the balls separated. On all of the ball bearing Precisions which have the oil-cooled bearing housing (without coolant ports)...the bearing sleeve is their own design and is *close* to the Garrett but not exact so that Garrett parts cannot be used. While likely being a way to dance around copyright laws, this also allows them to keep only one type of shaft for both journal bearing and ball bearing turbos without the "step" in the shaft that a ball bearing Garrett typically has to center the inner bearing race.

Now for whatever reason the new bearing system is a full-complement design...meaning there's no bearing retainer- a design that is typically only used in low-speed oil-bath applications like gearboxes. This is great for high-load but without anything to keep the balls from contacting each other they require far more lubrication than a typical ball bearing turbo would in order to keep from seizing the entire sleeve during operation. Precision claims the oiling hole in the cage pin acts as enough of a restrictor that you do not need to double-stack a restrictor in the line as you may with a Garrett GT unit; they also want the turbo to pass more oil to suppress heat in the cartridge due to the lack of coolant ports on the outer bearing housing.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

^ Garrett left, Precision right

If you decide to use a restrictor and there happens to be a momentary lapse in lubrication which causes the ball bearings to contact each other at full speed and bind, it's an instant catastrophic failure. There's a 7685 at my shop right now which did exactly that and is junk as a result.

Any ball bearing turbo exhibiting excessive oil leakage with limited use is almost guaranteed to be the fault of the drain...whether it be a physical restriction like a kink, or something you can't see like excessive crankcase pressure from a faulty or insufficient PCV system which is causing the engine to breathe through the turbo.

I was going to hit up Timkin to see if they knew anything, but there is now a Chinese company making a full bearing cartridge for a few hundred dollars for them, not sure how the quality would be on them but it might be worth looking into, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Precision is using a Chinese cartridge anyway, although the bearings do say USA on them but they have used Chinese castings and other parts in the past, how many USA bearing companys are left besides Timkin? it shouldn't be hard to figure out, just not sure where the Garrett bearing is made and thats the one I would want anyway.

So are these newer designs anymore reliable? I really like the spool and flow on the gen 2 turbos, But from past experience we never had a PTE turbo last.

I was going to hit up Timkin to see if they knew anything, but there is now a Chinese company making a full bearing cartridge for a few hundred dollars for them, not sure how the quality would be on them but it might be worth looking into, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Precision is using a Chinese cartridge anyway, although the bearings do say USA on them but they have used Chinese castings and other parts in the past, how many USA bearing companys are left besides Timkin? it shouldn't be hard to figure out, just not sure where the Garrett bearing is made and thats the one I would want anyway.
I've not seen a bearing sleeve available anywhere to fit the "Gen2" Precision turbos as of yet...so that would be news to me. Lots of China companies making the Garrett GT40 sleeves but I've not tried one and probably won't.

So are these newer designs anymore reliable? I really like the spool and flow on the gen 2 turbos, But from past experience we never had a PTE turbo last.
I think they were attempting to make the unit handle loads better by using a full-complement bearing but in reality it made the oiling more fragile. I can't say for sure if the bearing systems are any more-reliable or not but I know they had a huge problem with the turbine heads flying off the 85-series turbos.

Sad to hear that. They seam to make great power and spool for what they are. Guess ill stick to holsets, borgwarners, and garrets then.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back