The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Deceleration noise driving me crazy [VIDEO]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limegrntaln

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 12, 2003
Fairfield, California
Ok, so Ive done a lot of searching and read quite a few people with this problem. As soon as you type in the topic title here, you get suggestions. I read those and have heard "Its probably normal" But the sound I am hearing isnt always consistent. Sometimes I get driveline vibe with it, sometimes I dont. This is my 5th DSM and I have never had anything close to this problem. I have broken center diffs, axles, transfer cases exploded transmissions and have never had to deal with anything this annoying. I want someone to listen to it to tell me "Thats how its supposed to sound" The problem started about 80 miles after transmission install.

Mods: Stage 2.1 Jacks transmission 4 Spyder
Clutch Masters FX300 Clutch/Pressure plate
Fidanza Flywheel
Engine: stock everything including plastic BOV and stock air box, stock boost, no turbo timer and a stock exhaust. car has balance shafts and a balance belt still. Nothing but the clutch and trans is modded.

The car needed a trans when I bought it, so Im getting it ready for mods, may as well do it right as I go.

Parts replaced: Carrier bearings (no change in feel from the old ones), new driveline recall kit x3 the other 2 had the U-Joints robbed out of them. I also get more vibe at highway speed. I had the car on the lift and in gear at 30 MPH the front carrier bearing moves back and forth, the rear end "seems" fine. Rotation from grabbing the shaft by hand, I get about an inch turn to turn of play.

YouTube - ‪1997 TSI AWD‬‏

YouTube - ‪2G DSM Transmission Noise‬‏

Sounds like an exhaust rattle to me, but maybe its just the video or my laptop. Its not very loud on my laptop. Maybe the heat shield on the cat if you have it still.

What section of the car does it sound like the noise is deriving from? Front? Back?

Yeah, its hard to get on video, I drove around for about 30 minutes trying to capture it, and this is the best I got. I uploaded it in low res, when I get home I will replace the videos with HD ones. But either way, its hard to hear in the video.

To better describe the sound, it sounds like the car has a Jake brake, like a tractor trailer.

Something is making that front driveshaft vibrate, and true if they all needed to be balanced, there would be a lot more information about it.

Did yoou check your u-joints ?? Do you feel vibration from under the car??

I replaced all the U joints and the front yolk with the recall kit. I also indexed (marked) the driveshaft before removal. But the vibe was there before the removal. That's why I replaced everything.

Don't mean to thread jack, but I have a similiar issue, only mine occurs at 4k-2k under deacceleration. Have you eliminated exhaust rattle? Perhaps heat shields?

Don't mean to thread jack, but I have a similiar issue, only mine occurs at 4k-2k under deacceleration. Have you eliminated exhaust rattle? Perhaps heat shields?

Don't worry about thread jacking, just post if you have the problem. The more the thread gets seen the better chance we have of getting it fixed. Mines pretty much the same. Decal from 4k-2K. Otherwise it's ok. The front carrier bearing vibes pretty good while it's on the lift in 3rd gear at 40mph.

I may replace the front and rear motor mounts to see if it makes a difference.

Yeah I have poly motor mounts with the front and back inserts, but am going to make a set of solids to see if it would help. Also am going to check all heat shields, and possibly do the drive shaft mount fix that is on the vfaq.

Yeah I have poly motor mounts with the front and back inserts, but am going to make a set of solids to see if it would help. Also am going to check all heat shields, and possibly do the drive shaft mount fix that is on the vfaq.

Not familiar with the drive shaft mount fix. I havent looked at the vfaq in 15 years. That might be a good start. I know most of it is archive now though. Todd Day used to run the server back in the day. Amazing owning all of these DSMs, I can't believe I've never had this problem.

The noise seems to be getting a little better, I have about 200 miles on the new carrier bearings now. I need to put it back on the lift and try a trick I read another guy doing and thats taping a washer to the driveshaft at different places until he got the vibe to stop, it worked and he ended up welding the washer to the driveshaft as a balance.

Ok I ordered the Torque Solutions carrier bushings, thanks JNZ, hopefully this tightens things up a little, I also developed a slight driveline thump at 5K under power, I also noticed it going around a corner hard on the throttle. I put the car on the lift today to verify nothing was loose, the only thing I have a question about is, how much turning play should there be? Im guestinating there is about an inch from turn to turn before it catches.

I flipped my carrier bushings over, which shouldn't have even made a difference, thinking maybe I put them on upside down, it actually made the vibration in the driveline worse. I got my Torque Solution Bushings in today, Ill install them tomorrow, see if that helps any. Id really like to find out what's causing this problem. Im about ready to take the clutch out and just put the stock flywheel back in, but of course everyone that I talk too, has never had a problem like I am having with the same setup.

I keep telling myself the noise and vibrations aren't normal but had already convinced myself that it was since I too checked all the basic stuff..

Keep us posted on your findings. Subscribed...

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk

I'll come off the highway, downshift into 4th and look in the rear view mirror and I can't see anything because the rear window is shaking so bad. Do either of you have lightened flywheels?

I have a lightened flywheel but my car did this before that. In my case it is an exhaust leak. As I think it is yours, too.
Stock exhaust ftw.

Ok I ordered the Torque Solutions carrier bushings, thanks JNZ, hopefully this tightens things up a little, I also developed a slight driveline thump at 5K under power, I also noticed it going around a corner hard on the throttle. I put the car on the lift today to verify nothing was loose, the only thing I have a question about is, how much turning play should there be? Im guestinating there is about an inch from turn to turn before it catches.

That's what I get.

Last edited:
I wish it was an exhaust leak, an exhaust leak doesn't feel like a dead body strapped to the driveshaft. When the car is on the lift in gear at 30mph, you can see the front carrier bearing vibrating and the front driveshaft shaking.

Installed the carrier bushings, they tightened up the carrier bearings a lot. I notice a nice tight acceleration when I take off. What it didnt fix is the driveline thump or the deceleration noise I hear. It did however improve the bad highway vibration at 80 MPH.

Put the rear of the car in the air and grab the axle as it goes into the rear differential.

Shake.

Does it move around?

I had it on the lift a few hours ago to install the torque solution bushings. And walked from the t case to the rear, checking C-Clips, grabbing and shaking the driveline at every joint... Nothing. I actually put a wrench on the 4 12MM bolts going into the rear end, nothing. The rear is also solid. Left and right axles going into the rear are also solid. I don't get it, something has to be out of balance. All of the balance weights are on the driveline and it was marked when I disassembled it to do the carrier bearings. The problem was happening before the bearings were replaced also.

Yeah, I have a Fidanza Lightened flywheel.

Ive been talking back and forth with Jack on his Forum, Hes made some good suggestions, no resolution yet. I bought a brand new ACT Flywheel off of a guy from the marketplace today. Im thinking of dropping my trans this weekend, thats if I can get my other beater running so I can have something to drive.

I was watching some of Jacks videos, and after seeing the one about checking the transfer case tail shaft for wobble, I didnt even think of that. Im putting it on the lift tomorrow and taking that sucker off and checking that. Whatever it is now, its definitely getting worse, which it hasn't in almost a year. My driveline thump went from 3-4 thumps at 2500 RPM to about 10 or more thumps in 1st and second gear. I can only associate this with getting new carrier bearings, and then adding the Torque Solution carrier bushings, while it tightened things up, if the T-Case wants to do its thing and now these new parts are tighter and not letting it move as free as it was? I dont know, but it feels like its getting worse.

Is it a thump or a low tone click? This is gonna be a weird analogy but the sound of a trebuchet(sp?) getting wound up but at a quicker speed?

I'm trying to see if I have the same noise as you. Mine is only on decel as well(in gear) but sometimes it won't make the noise out of gear stopping but sometimes will.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back