1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Damaged Pistons

Posted by xv_dsm, Nov 8, 2019 at 9:26 PM

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. xv_dsm

xv_dsm Probationary Member

Joined Sep 3, 2019
    North Charleston, South Carolina
    I removed my piston a few weeks ago and when I went back to the garage to work on my head I hit the table and one of my piston rolled off and fell about 2 1/2 - 3 ft down on to the concrete face side down and it landed on the edge of it so now there’s a small but somewhat noticeable dent on it and I wanted to know if I should just buy a used one or if it’s ok to use. It is the OEM piston off a 2g 95 4g63T 7 bolt. If anybody has one or knows someone who has one laying around somewhere it would be great and I would like to talk to them. If it’s ok to use just till the summer so i can just buy all 4 sets of brand new pistons I would do that but if I have to buy one then I will just buy one off of somebody who is willing to sell me theirs. I am also looking for a exhaust and intake valve (just one of each) if anybody has any laying around and willing to sell. My local junkyards don’t have a single eclipse because I live in South Carolina and it’s rare to find one here. View attachment 582797

Attached Files:

Street Build 145  2

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Clean it up real good and lets have another picture.
    Ideally, I would put another piston in, but I have seen worse. It could be "dressed" with a fine file and probably be just fine. It's not as big of a dent as I have seen on some Small Block Chevy's that have ran, with just about the same little imperfection.
    I would bet there are a few "extra" stock pistons laying around someones garage too. I have stock 6 bolt stuff laying around but no 7 bolts or I would toss you a piston.
    Marty

Street Build 3K  27

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

403  13

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

412  17

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 585  4

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
    xv_dsm likes this.
  3. xv_dsm

xv_dsm Probationary Member

Joined Sep 3, 2019
    North Charleston, South Carolina
    I’ll have some cleaner pictures in a few hours to show you.

Street Build 145  2

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    I have a set of brand new n/t 4g63 pistons if that would do you any good.

Drag Race Build 3K  16

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    @xv_dsm, one thing you should do is put a ring in the first ring land and make sure the ring floats freely as normal. When a piston gets smacked, it runs the chance of compressing the ring land. I have even filed the ring lands to work again back when I was young and BROKE. Do that and report your findings. Just a tip!

Street Build 3K  27

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

403  13

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

412  17

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 585  4

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  6. pieceofcloth

pieceofcloth Probationary Member

Joined Oct 6, 2019
    Houston, Texas
    I have 3 1g 7bolt 4g63t piston/rods which may be the same that your vehicle uses. When I purchased my vehicle the motor was already destroyed and these are just sitting around. If they are the same, I'll hook you up. I also have an oem head I can part for you. I'm just not to sure which parts are interchangeable. Feel free to message me & I'll shoot you my number. :hellyeah:

7. Kai Hefner

Kai Hefner Freelancer

Joined Jun 21, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    I haven't personally ripped into a 4g shortblock yet but I wouldn't run that. I'd be worried about those cracks propagating and chipping more off when you start pushing some boost into it.

If you go to a meet, and you don't want to tell people about it, it's probably not a good idea: "My #3 piston is chipped but it's fine"

Street Build 319  1

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 582  2

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Clean the dent up with a file. Beware you have HOURS of cleaning on those pistons to use them. The oil holes are likely coked shut. ring grooves need cleaned, ect.

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM