The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Crash89s Spyder build!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey thanks man!!

Heres the latest of last week. Have to wet sand again then hopefully shoot some paint. Might have to fix a couple small imperfections and shoot a little more primer but we'll see!

Attachments

• 2gbtalonprime.jpg
    2gbtalonprime.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 122
My buddy Cong has had a 99 gst spyder for quite some time. Its been sitting in storage for about 5 years now. Hes had all the parts to get the car running but with the car here and him living about an hour and a half away its hard for him to find time/motivation to get to putting this thing together.

So, Ive pretty much taken it upon myself to get his storage key, repo his car and start putting this beast together again!

He bought a built 6 bolt long block from somebody in the Chicago area about a year ago just needed cams. Its been sitting next to the car since. He had a trans rebuilt by Tim Zimmer at TMZperformance.

Now, everything was going as planned until it was time to time this thing.. Found some stocker cams to put in the car for the time being. Upon wrapping the belt around the crank sprocket I noticed some movement.. I thought "no this cant be"

Sure enough.. over 1/16" of crankshaft end play. Took the pan off and found this..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02apraf5pNc]6 bolt confirmed thrust beating failure - YouTube[/ame]

congsbuild_zps53b00b02.jpg
"]
congsbuild_zps53b00b02.jpg
[/URL]

congsbuild3_zpsa44914d9.jpg
"]
congsbuild3_zpsa44914d9.jpg
[/URL]

congsbuild2_zpsaf8f7fe3.jpg
"]
congsbuild2_zpsaf8f7fe3.jpg
[/URL]

Nice build man.

I see you're in Janesville but I feel like I've seen this car in Eau Claire many times before.. we used to stop there between our La Crosse to Superior roadtrips for the Red Robin and Sonic. This was a couple years back though.

Amazing build...I have enjoyed reading this! I will get my spyder to the shootout next year..mark my words! Hopefully I can see this beast in person. Keep up the hard work man.

Nice build man.

I see you're in Janesville but I feel like I've seen this car in Eau Claire many times before.. we used to stop there between our La Crosse to Superior roadtrips for the Red Robin and Sonic. This was a couple years back though.

Nope wasnt this car. I just moved back here from california a couple years ago. Never had the car that far north. Actually the farthest north this car has been is the Dells.

Louie, itll be at the shootout this year again. If you're going keep an eye out!

Very nice ;) I pulled all my Talon parts back off. Just like the Eclipse look more on the Spyder. Plus it just didn't look right after I installed my Apexi exhaust. The muffler just hung too low to be covered by the rear bumper.

Can you post some more pictures of the car? I will be converting to a talon as well later on down the road. I am interested how it turns out and what the high rise wing looks like with talon trim and the top down.

Great build thread! Spyders ftw!

Hey sorry I havent updated, I must have missed your comment! Heres some pics from the 2013 Shootout! Pics courtesy of FIC, STM and my buddy Andrew (myboostedgst) Enjoy!

Attachments

• shootoutstrip2.jpg
    shootoutstrip2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 160
  • shootoutstrip.jpg
    shootoutstrip.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 173
  • shootoutshow.jpg
    shootoutshow.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 148
  • autox4.jpg
    autox4.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 148
  • autox3.jpg
    autox3.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 170
  • autox2.jpg
    autox2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 171
  • autox.jpg
    autox.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 181
I seen your car at the shootout and you have inspired me to make a convertible talon for myself! nicest car at the shootout.:thumb:

Thank you for the kind words! There were a lot of very nice looking cars there! ONLY AWD 2gb talon spyder there though! :thumb:

RX7 wheels?

Yes, Ive got another set in black with my street tires on them too! :hellyeah:

Hey crash you can get the front bumper eagle badge at jnz tunning if you are wanting it.

Nahh not really. Still kind of tossing the idea around in the future with a forward facing setup with the intake cone in that area. Maybe. I dont know that'd be quite a ways down the road.

Hey Tom, car's looking better than I last remember it at Travis AFB; definitely has lots (and lots:coy:) of blood sweat, and pi$$'n vinegar put into this car for sure:hellyeah:. what kinda tire do you run on those Rx7 wheels for the track? A buddy has my old RX7 wheels and I was curious (and getting to old to remember:p).

Hey Tom, car's looking better than I last remember it at Travis AFB; definitely has lots (and lots:coy:) of blood sweat, and pi$$'n vinegar put into this car for sure:hellyeah:. what kinda tire do you run on those Rx7 wheels for the track? A buddy has my old RX7 wheels and I was curious (and getting to old to remember:p).

PHIL!! Holy shit!! I was just wondering the other day if you still had the same number, was thinking of giving you a shout! As far as the tires, off the top of my head I know they're a Hoosier drag radial. Pretty sure 25" tall. I can take a look at the sidewall next time Im out at the shop and get some more info for you.

Yea the car has gone through quite a change since the last time you've seen it! Last month at the shootout I was finally able to get a "solid" pass on the drag strip. Finally had most of the bugs worked out and was a sally out of the hole with it.

2.1 60'
12.7x @ 117 on ~26 psi

Car definitely has mid low 11s in it on these injectors. :hellyeah: Some 1250s and more boost are in order for next season!

Hows the Evo doing?!

I still have the same number believe it or not:D. The Evo's gone, I ran a best of 11.6@120. I fixed an ignition issue, but never made it to the track here with it, just cost a little to much to mod and commute.

I have an automatic, 95 AWD Eagle Talon/20g now that I'll be doing a build thread on in late October (blown HG right now). I'm following you and a couple of other builds and see lots of good stuff happening, so thanks for the inspiration you and your AWD Spyder/Talon have given:thumb:.

I still have the same number believe it or not:D. The Evo's gone, I ran a best of 11.6@120. I fixed an ignition issue, but never made it to the track here with it, just cost a little to much to mod and commute.

so thanks for the inspiration you and your AWD Spyder/Talon have given:thumb:.

These are the kinds of words that motivate me to keep going with the car!

Too bad about the evo but sometimes you gotta let things go and move on! Ill be on the lookout for your build thread for sure! Ive also been on the lookout for an auto 2g to throw my 2g on! :hellyeah:

took the car to the track last weekend for test n tune. Had 4 runs. Two of which I was locked out of second .. After I got that all sorted out, first pass was a 12.4x @ 116 with a 1.8 60'.. Did a couple small changes and next pass was better! Almost hit my goal for the weekend which was 11s or 120 traps.

This is on my everyday street tires and FD wheels. 26 psi on the 7 blade hx35. 3400lb race weight.

timeslip_zps32a6fd24.jpg
"]
timeslip_zps32a6fd24.jpg
[/URL]

took the car to the track last weekend for test n tune. Had 4 runs. Two of which I was locked out of second .. After I got that all sorted out, first pass was a 12.4x @ 116 with a 1.8 60'.. Did a couple small changes and next pass was better! Almost hit my goal for the weekend which was 11s or 120 traps.

This is on my everyday street tires and FD wheels. 26 psi on the 7 blade hx35. 3400lb race weight.

timeslip_zps32a6fd24.jpg
"]
timeslip_zps32a6fd24.jpg
[/URL]

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back