The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

COP Coil-on-Plug ignition [Merged 1-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just came back from working on the car been up since 6:00am well i bought some new plugs. I change them i looked at the wiring it looks fine i put in the computer i sent it out to get it checked the test came back ok (thanks motoguys). the car started up with no problems but once it got up to operating temp the check engine light came on. so i am assuming that i have a bad coil now the question is witch one? how do I check?

thanks again guys for the help here. I am somewhat new to dsm I know nissan's very well

Do you have the tach adapter for a 90 on your COP setup?

Okay gentleman this is what I have found out about the COP IGN. I had found the stock coils and the car runs fine I also change the power transistor as well new spark plugs and had the ecu sent out and checked.

This is what I think that the power is not good enough to power the coils if you guys use an early JUNE 1990 power transistor it may not work with COP systems

on the part itself it would say:
mitsubishi
power tr unit
J122

Part number MD127742

If you have this version on the car you will need a cdi box i am going to order one and see what happens. I know so far the car will not run properly

now before this becomes fact I am going to change all the coils and my cop system (or send them back to have them looked at) and reinstall and see if the car would run without a CDI. I will keep you posted.

I was not having much luck with my cop on my 97 talon. I am only going to put it back on if get some ignition box.

I've talked to jay racing and they recommend the dynatek arc as well but the thing that bothers me the most. I had the COP installed on my car for 5 months with no problems that's still bothers me. I think that the heat of the engines effect the wires over time. I am looking into "shielding" the wires.

I am seriously considering going with cop. I just put on a jmfab smim and I dont think I can handle having plug wires running clear up from the fire wall. I bought the jmf coil pack bracket b/c I was planning on removing my non-working a/c while I had the manifold off. Well when I got down to the compressor, I found all of the connections for it just hanging there. So I figured my a/c is ok since it had worked when I first bought the car. Since it gets pretty warm and extremely humid in WV, I decided to keep the a/c. Coil on plug seems to be the best option right now. I had 400awhp on a conservative tune before and I am hoping for closer to 500whp since installing the smim, a fp race exhaust manifold, upping the boost, and a more aggressive tune. I am not sure if it is capable of that, but you can look at my other mods and draw your own conclusions. Either way, at this hp level, am I looking at spark problems from doing cop without an msd or equivalent?
Thanks a lot guys,
Justin

I wanted cop for same reason as you. Have jm fab intake and the cop really kept things clean. But it didn't work out so good. I tried different gaps and just never could get the car to fire right..I was running usually around 20 or so for boost. I say you have to get a spark box or forget coil on plug.

Thanks for the advice... I was kind of afraid of that.
Does anyone else want to chime in here?
I am trying to get a general concensus from people with first hand experience with COP.
Thanks,
Justin

I was wondering the same thing. I assume you are also using the invert cas option in dsmlink? I would appreciate the answer to this as well if anyone has it.

Here's what it says about COP systems from the DSMlink wiki.

If you have a Coil-On-Plug system, you need to swap primary ignition wires from the ECU instead of swapping spark plug wires. Interchange the Black/Blue wire from ECU pin 10 with the Brown/Red wire from ECU pin 23 either at the ECU or at the under-hood Ignition Power Transistor connector. (Primary-wire swapping can be used in lieu of swapping plug wires even if you don't have a COP system.)

swapplugwires [ECMTuning - wiki]

Hmm, darn i thought i could just switch some wires on the unit itself. One other question, all the wiring write-ups have the factory triangle plug with 3 wires, those wires being red-black-white, i just pulled the plug off my 95gsx and it has blue-blue/blk stripe-red. Why is mine different, and what are they corresponding colors? Thanks!

-Aaron

Hi guys,
I just finished my cop setup last night. I took a bunch of pics of every step of the setup. I know there is one tech article on cop, but it only has pics of the finished product. Do you guys think it would be helpful if I put up the pics with descriptions of setup process? I would have posted up a few with this, but I can't get the pics to upload yet. It keeps telling me there is an error. I think the photos are too large... about 2 megs each. I am not sure how to change that. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Let me know if you guys think its a good idea,
Justin

Alright, well I will post up a few picks of the wiring here first to let you guys double check me. That is, if I can get the pics to work for me. I took like 50 throughout the process LOL.

I am working on the text for the tech post, but I still can not get a photo to upload. I don't know how to change the file size of the pictures or other settings to make them work. Does someone have experience with this problem?
Thanks,
Justin

I am working on the text for the tech post, but I still can not get a photo to upload. I don't know how to change the file size of the pictures or other settings to make them work. Does someone have experience with this problem?
Thanks,
Justin

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

That link will start a download for Windows Image Resizer. Once you install it, you just right click on the picture's icon and select "Resize Pictures". Really easy to use.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

That link will start a download for Windows Image Resizer. Once you install it, you just right click on the picture's icon and select "Resize Pictures". Really easy to use.

I have vista and there were compatability issues with that. I tried to run it as windows xp (service pack 2) as well without success. Can I get this program for vista?
Thanks,
Justin

By the way guys, I got the boots trimmed last night and put the setup on the car for the first time. It looked awesome! I will take some pics of the trimmed boots and springs tonight. Hopefully I will get to try to start my car for the first time in 10 weeks tonight. Wish me luck LOL.

Ok guys lets see if this will work now. Here is one of the setup on the car. If it works, I will try to get this done asap.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back