The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

COP Coil-on-Plug ignition [Merged 1-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almost all of the cop kits are the same. They use 300m coils with a machined plate. I know you don't want to hear this, but you are actually downgrading your ignition system when you buy just the cop, without a quality CDI. MSD and AEM aren't quality CDI's. Stock coils can handle just about anything with a good CDI.

Almost all of the cop kits are the same. They use 300m coils with a machined plate. I know you don't want to hear this, but you are actually downgrading your ignition system when you buy just the cop, without a quality CDI. MSD and AEM aren't quality CDI's. Stock coils can handle just about anything with a good CDI.

What would be a quality CDI?

The reason I'm looking into this is because I'm switching to an EVO III IM and don't have an EVO III Coil Pack yet. I'm sure that I can somehow mount my 2g coil pack somewhere else and make it work, but if it's only going to cost a couple hundred bucks to go to a COP setup, then I'm interested.

When you say "downgrade" what exactly does that translate to? I mean, I'm not looking to go 500 HP. Are you saying that reaching 400HP would be hard on a ebay COP setup?

It wouldn't be hard, but in most cases with no other modifications, you are losing spark energy when you install a cop setup.

I wouldn't even buy the ebay cop. I would buy a plate or make one, and go to the wrecking yard and get some 300m coils and make the same COP kit that everbody else sells, for under $90.

I should have said "If I were going to use a COP setup I would make my own". I'm not against them, I just don't see much point to it when the stock coils can be used on 1000whp engines. And what's the point of paying 200-500 for a COP that you can make for under $100?

The reason I'm looking into this is because I'm switching to an EVO III IM and don't have an EVO III Coil Pack yet. I'm sure that I can somehow mount my 2g coil pack somewhere else and make it work, but if it's only going to cost a couple hundred bucks to go to a COP setup, then I'm interested.

When you say "downgrade" what exactly does that translate to? I mean, I'm not looking to go 500 HP. Are you saying that reaching 400HP would be hard on a ebay COP setup?

I got my evo3 coil pack for $20.:D
And all you really need is the bracket anyway.

-Dan

And what GVR4592 is saying is basically "why fix it if it isn't broken"
and I agree. use what you have till you max it out. No sense spending money on this, that could go to a mod that would benifit you more NOW.

-Dan

I am thinking about buying a COP setup with intrepid coils. I want to know the exact technical reason that using a COP over stock is a downgrade. I know that it will be charging two coils instead of one, is that all though? I would imagine that since the stock coil has to fire two sparks, and each COP coil fires one spark but with less dwell time the effects would at least partially cancel each other out under ideal conditions, or perhaps the stock coil will produce more voltage and less current than the cop setup. I would also imagine that the COP coils charge faster than the stock ones based on their physical size.

I might be talking out my ass so please correct me if I wrong, I don't want to diseminate incorrect information. But I would like to know the technical reason that COP is a downgrade. Thanks.

I bought jay racing COP for my 90 talon it ran find for about 4 months now its bucking and spiking under WOT. so just to be clear you should buy a cdi box or a engine management system to control the COP? anybody that sells COP should tell their buyers that they need to buy a CDI or engine management. because if you don't you will run into problems.

btw will the check engine light come on if the COP are misfiring.

Jay Racing Coil On Plug Kit [COP1] - $315.00 : Jay Racing

I bought jay racing COP for my 90 talon it ran find for about 4 months now its bucking and spiking under WOT. so just to be clear you should buy a cdi box or a engine management system to control the COP? anybody that sells COP should tell their buyers that they need to buy a CDI or engine management. because if you don't you will run into problems.

btw will the check engine light come on if the COP are misfiring.

Jay Racing Coil On Plug Kit [COP1] - $315.00 : Jay Racing

This isn't true. I have a COP I built myself that I run on my Talon and over the last year is has never had a problem. I also built one for a buddy of mine that has a 90 and his works just as well. Both are NOT running any type of CDI.

Do you guys have a engine management? aem, dsmlink, wolf 3d. I don't mind spending the money. I just want to buy the right thing either it would be a cdi box or dsmlink.

Do you guys have a engine management? aem, dsmlink, wolf 3d. I don't mind spending the money. I just want to buy the right thing either it would be a cdi box or dsmlink.

You should have a good quality CDI if you want to use a COP properly. If not, just stick with the stock setup and it's perfectly fine.

DSMlink will always be a highly recommended buy though as it's a logger and tuner all in one system and is easy enough for the average person to use. But if you want to use a COP, then this will have no effect on it.

I have an AEM EMS. Does that affect my COP in any way?

It shouldn't affect using your COP because you can't control spark with it.

I have DSMLink but that, or any engine management, won't do anything to effect a COP setup. It is either something in the wiring or the coils may be bad.

When I first built mine it would sputter and then drop a cylinder. After get very frustrated I found a loose connection. Once I fixed it the car has run fine ever since.

ok thanks a lot guys i was wondering because i was looking threw the post and saw this:

posted by turbocharged
"Don't run COP unless you have dsmlink or some other way of changing dead time (otherwise known as dwell time). Your idle will suffer and it will be harder to tune your car. And yes, most COP setups will plug into your stock coil adapter."

And DSMLink doesn't have the ability to change the coil dwell which is what you need to do to to take full advantage of the COP coils.

LONEWOLF01, as is common, the poster you referenced read something they didn't quite understand and then spit out the mutated information.

Just made COP for my laser, I used the Intrepid coils. The wiring for the coils was easy but the extra wiring for my 90 tach signal took a little while to figure out. Ran very good with not misfire before I re-gapped my plugs but when I gapped them to .028 it sounded and ran a lot better. I also run no engine management.

just came back from working on the car been up since 6:00am well i bought some new plugs. I change them i looked at the wiring it looks fine i put in the computer i sent it out to get it checked the test came back ok (thanks motoguys). the car started up with no problems but once it got up to operating temp the check engine light came on. so i am assuming that i have a bad coil now the question is witch one? how do I check?

thanks again guys for the help here. I am somewhat new to dsm I know nissan's very well

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back