The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

PRP R35 Coil on Plug

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90GSXBlue

Probationary Member
Nov 27, 2019
Littleton, Colorado
Wondering if anyone is/plans on running R35 GTR Coil on Plug setup, Thoughts?
These are super popular coils with the R32,R33,R34 GTR guys but I haven't heard anything about them on DSM's...

Also it says Evo 1-3 & VR4 but they should still work with 1Gs and 2Gs correct?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Damn, $900 is a lot for a COP setup but it is a nice one.
It maybe expensive but going CDI is more expensive as a cdi module can be over 1k alone!.

I purchased this kit from Anti-Lag racing for 500. No CDI box needed and it removes the PTU. I have yet to install it on my car. States it can handle 800whp, more then enough for 95% of the people out here. Here’s the website:

And if you sneeze on it or touch it with too much static charge they take a shit, haha.
Yeah they can be funny buggers. I dont know the actual R35 benefits but woupd be good to see if someone can do some data on it and confirm its worth. If it dont need CDI and can still do wasted spark then thats good and if its actually better then factory coilpacks then thats good

Yeah they can be funny buggers. I dont know the actual R35 benefits but woupd be good to see if someone can do some data on it and confirm its worth. If it dont need CDI and can still do wasted spark then thats good and if its actually better then factory coilpacks then thats good

Why does this happen?
Idk, but a lot of companies can’t seem to make durable electronics for CDI boxes.

I purchased this kit from Anti-Lag racing for 500. No CDI box needed and it removes the PTU. I have yet to install it on my car. States it can handle 800whp, more then enough for 95% of the people out here. Here’s the website:

Yep, this is a classic style kit. The prp kit is obviously cleaner and actually seals the spark plug wells. Pick whichever suits your fancy.

Yep, this is a classic style kit. The prp kit is obviously cleaner and actually seals the spark plug wells. Pick whichever suits your fancy.
Personally I think the PRP plate is ugly. But that’s neither here nor there. Just my lame opinion! I was just showing another option for us non-baller DSMers a kit that doesn’t involve a finicky, hit or miss, albeit expensive CDI kit and eliminates the stock PTU which can fail itself on occasion. Now I can see people not wanting to rewire the PTU plug in the engine bay but a lot of newer tech involves modifications, some can be permanent. Easily can be converted back to stock for whatever reason. After 21 years of this car being discontinued it’s cool to see newer products/tech still being produced.
You said it best though
Pick whatever suits your fancy! :)

I tune loads of engines that all run the R35 coils. They work great and pack super hot spark into a small easy to fit/use/wire coil. You can run the R35 coils in wasted spark (batch fire) but they work best when setup as direct fire (half the duty cycle of wasted spark).

I have the V.E. R35 coil on plug conversion kit in my personal Galant VR4. My stock coils were very tired and i was blowing out spark at only 18psi with the plugs gapped down to .022". Rather than try and find better condition OEM coils i just went r35 COP as the R35 coils have always worked great on every car i've tuned or supported on the track running them.
R35 coil on plug conversion for DSM/EVO1-3
I also run the car on an AEM ecu with 4 coil outputs so i'm on direct fire now not wasted spark**

I tune loads of engines that all run the R35 coils. They work great and pack super hot spark into a small easy to fit/use/wire coil. You can run the R35 coils in wasted spark (batch fire) but they work best when setup as direct fire (half the duty cycle of wasted spark).

I have the V.E. R35 coil on plug conversion kit in my personal Galant VR4. My stock coils were very tired and i was blowing out spark at only 18psi with the plugs gapped down to .022". Rather than try and find better condition OEM coils i just went r35 COP as the R35 coils have always worked great on every car i've tuned or supported on the track running them.
Literally every post of yours in the last year has been shilling these. Why? They don't work with the stock ECU. 99/100 people here can't use them and the remaining 1/100 don't need to be told.

Literally every post of yours in the last year has been shilling these. Why? They don't work with the stock ECU. 99/100 people here can't use them and the remaining 1/100 don't need to be told.
You answered your own question... tunermt is from Missoula, MT(Missoula, AZ does not appear to exist?) - the same town that Brewed Motorsports is located in. Note the promotion of this business in his signature.

As i said in my post i have the V.E. COP kit on my VR4 galant. I'm one of the ECU tuners for Brewed Motorsports and Brewed is a dealer for Velocity Element who makes the r35 COP kit i'm running on my gallant.
Simply sharing info about my own experiences using the R35 coils on my personal 4g63 being this thread is about using R35 coils on a DSM and i'm running that exact setup i thought i'd share.
My VR4 is on an AEM so i have 4 coil outputs setup direct fire. 95% of the cars i tune are all running aftermarket ECU's with 4+ coil outputs so they all get setup with direct fire ignition most often using R35 coils or IGN1A coils on engines running 40psi +

I personally don't mind what people use on their cars, but i will say spark blow out is one of the most common issues i see across all manufactures. Finding an ignition solution that allows you to run a decent plug gap and your target boost is KEY to a happy healthy engine that will always make you smile ear to ear when you put your foot down.

Id like to add to this thread, i got a 98 gsx on dsmlink v3 with speed density. im trying to see if i can find a way to run these coils on this set up and if it is possible. has anyone done this? can i get them to work with a proper tach signal? what all is needed? thanks !!

Id like to add to this thread, i got a 98 gsx on dsmlink v3 with speed density. im trying to see if i can find a way to run these coils on this set up and if it is possible. has anyone done this? can i get them to work with a proper tach signal? what all is needed? thanks !!
The general consensus is that with the stock ECU, ANY Coil on plug setup isn't worth it if it's not paired with some sort of CDI box. I think it's due to not being able to change the ignition dwell times in the ECMLink software.

Now if you have a standalone ECU it's a different story.

You'd be best off just running factory ignition until you can't. This seems to suite about 90% of the guys on here. Plenty of people have made 600whp on stock ignition.

I snagged the Brewed Motorsports COP kit, and their wiring harness and I've got some questions for anyone that might know about them/ used them. I AM on a standalone Link G4+ ECU and am wondering about how to keep the tach signal since it comes from the PTU... If that's deleted is there another plate to tap into to get it?

I followed this write up for Denso COP from a Toyota Prius. Have worked great so far. And with the stock ecu. I bought a 2G to 3g maf adapter so i didnt have to hack up a 2g MAF.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back