1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Clutch suddenly won’t disengage

Posted by LilRedSpyder, Nov 17, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. LilRedSpyder

LilRedSpyder Probationary Member

Joined May 2, 2019
    Livingston, Louisiana
    Ever since I replaced my manual trans in my 2g it’s been working beautifully. Zero issues. For whatever reason last night as I was heading to a friends house and getting off the interstate my clutch suddenly won’t disengage when I push the pedal down. Pedal feels good and the slave is working properly. Master and slave are new and has no leaks but now it won’t disengage when the car is running. I’ve bled the system multiple times just to be sure and still won’t disengage.

Street Build 189  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    Disengage or engage?

When you push the pedal in you are engaging it, and when you release the pedal you are disengaging it.

Road Race Build 2K  25

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

375  3

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

293  6

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles
  3. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    One of the fingers could have broken off of the clutch fork.

Drag Race Build 3K  23

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    LilRedSpyder likes this.
  4. LilRedSpyder

Joined May 2, 2019
    Livingston, Louisiana
    Sorry about the confusion there. When I press the clutch it isn’t engaging. It won’t go into gear when the car is running.

Street Build 189  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    BLACK'98DSM likes this.
  5. LilRedSpyder

Joined May 2, 2019
    Livingston, Louisiana
    Thought about that also. My pops says it could possibly be broken pressure plate allowing the throw out bearing to not catch properly. Getting an act 2600 clutch kit in the next few days so I’ll swap the fork and throw out while it’s down. Looks like the only way I’ll know for sure what’s going on is tear it down again... I’m getting pretty good with this seeing as it’s my first dsm.

Street Build 189  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. Kryndon

Kryndon Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2014
    Bulgaria, Europe
    I'd bet on a broken pressure plate finger. If the fluid looks okay and pedal feels fine, yet the clutch cannot be disengaged, then it would mean a fault with the clutch kit itself.

I once had a pressure plate finger break on me. I was sitting in the car, about to start it, I press in the clutch pedal all the way and I heard a loud pop sound. I tried getting it into gear and vice versa but it was extremely hard. I still managed to drive it around the block ( I was unaware of what was happening at the time) and the car felt twice as slow, because it was slipping. It also smelled real bad too. Then when we took it off a whole pressure plate finger was missing because the plate was so old and rusty it just snapped off.

If you want to double check and make sure it's a broken finger, you can take one of the breather plugs off the top of the trans and shine a light or use a endoscope camera in there. Rotate the wheels while the car is in the air slowly and notice if any fingers are bent, missing or whatever. It's a simple check.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019

Street Build 3K  9

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.769 @ 92.22 · 2G DSM
    LilRedSpyder and BLACK'98DSM like this.
  7. rabenne

rabenne Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2006
    Racine, Wisconsin
    You could also try looking thru the fork boot to see if there are loose parts in the bottom...

Street Build 219  5

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 159  12

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 7K  9

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    He could, but whats the point if he's going to pull it apart to make repairs/install a new clutch kit anyway?

Drag Race Build 3K  23

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. rabenne

rabenne Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2006
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Good point. What's the point in posting at all if you are planning to put new parts on anyway...

OP probably just wants to know what happened and why.

Street Build 219  5

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 159  12

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 7K  9

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  10. LilRedSpyder

Joined May 2, 2019
    Livingston, Louisiana
    I originally wasn’t going to tear it all down again but it’s obvious at this point that is the only way it’s going to get fixed. Even if it is just broken pressure plate it doesn’t change the fact that the trans has to come out in order to be repaired. And since I’m pulling it out again I may as well just replace all the clutch components to prevent having to do so at a later date.

Street Build 189  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    BLACK'98DSM likes this.