The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

clutch wont disengage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fupkid

Probationary Member
May 22, 2014
farmington, New_Mexico
I was driving home lastnight and slowley droped from 5th to 4th. Heard a loud pop and now the transmission won't go Into gear. Its a brand new duralast clutch set. New slave and master cyl. The clutch fork also moves its full travel and still won't disengage. What are the odds the pressure plate broke?

Autozone is not a good place to shop for a clutch to begin with, probably have better luck with an ebay clutch. Is the clutch pedal depressing and coming back up like it should or is it staying on the floor? Can you feel the the transmission going into gear when you shift? If not check the shift cables and make sure they are all in place and working properly.

the pedal is comeing back up like normal all the fingers on the pp are going in and its still grinding. The linkage is all fine.

If the clutch is engaging and disengaging like it should and there is not problem with you clutch plate or fork, then it may be an internal problem with the transmission. Did you bleed the clutch properly when the new master and slave were installed? When is it grinding exactly?

So you are able to select gears with the engine off? I had a clutch disk come apart. The hub separated from the disk. I could shift into gears with the engine running, but the car wouldn't move. If you are grinding with engine on clutch down, your clutch is not releasing. Have you checked the gear oil?

i dont think the clutch is disengageing. its acting like i dont have the clutch pushed in when i try to put it in gear.. If i put it in gear and start the car it jumps forward and reverse depending what gear i have it in.

even if it was internal damage the clutch would still release

I was thinking internal damage because you mentioned grinding but didnt mention whether or not you were able to put it in gears. Take the pressure plate off and inspect the clutch disk. It seems to me like that is where your problem lies. Maybe wait and see if anyone else has any other ideas first though, just to make sure.

even if it was internal damage the clutch would still release
Correct. I was able to take the rubber vent out of the top of the bellhousing and see the edge of the hub move with the car jacked up and in gear when I moved the wheel. I suspect you have a spring that has come out of the disk and lodged between the flywheel and disk or disk and pressure plate.

you were close. The middle of the clutch disk broke the rivets and all the springs were laying in the bottom of the presure plate.

money is forcing me to warrenty this clutch. I will save up for a aftermarket one. There was mounting tab for the main harness that was wedged between the motor and the trans. I wonder if that had anything to do with it

I put the car back together lastnight. Took it for a run and its shifting alot better now. I just need to re adjust the master cylinder rod and that's done.

I'm gunna take it easy untill I can get a aftermarket clutch.

I must take it easy on this clutch. I'll upgrade when I can.

Did you tighten up the locking nut on the master? If not, it can fall out of adjustment and cause for disengagement problems.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back