The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Clutch pedal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SneezyGst

Probationary Member
May 29, 2021
Howell, Michigan
Gents-

Ive been working on a 98 GST that was all sorts of abused. I was just on a small run as i break in the motor build. I drove to the store and when I left I pushed the clutch pedal in and i heard a "Ping" and the pedal went straight to the floor, and didn't return. After pulling off the front bumper and the intercooler i noticed a massive puddle of fluid under the car. I cant see where its coming from because its in the store parking lot. It seems brownish, red in color. very slick.

Gurus- what gave way?

Color is misleading but since clutch failed my first guess is slave cyl. You will have to investigate further. We aren't fortune tellers. :):)

Color is misleading but since clutch failed my first guess is slave cyl.

Just towed it home. Back at the spot it broke down waiting for a car to move so I can see fluid spot. If a slave cyl failed would it leave a good spot of fluid under the car?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes a slave could dump a bunch of fluid. It holds half a quart or so. That color looks more like oil to me than brake fluid but it could very well be 30 year old brake fluid since everyone seems to forget that brake/clutch fluid breaks down as quickly/more quickly than most other fluids in the car. The only way to find out is to get it up in the air and look. Unless the block or trans punched an exterior hole and took out the clutch hydraulics id say its safe to say that you lost a slave or a clutch hydraulic line.

Yes a slave could dump a bunch of fluid.

Car still started in neutral after the pedal went to the floor.

Update- slave cylinder

Last edited by a moderator:
Something inside the slave snapped in half. Didn't have time to pull it out. I went to push on the shaft and it started pissing fluid everywhere and felt very broke ..

Nothing but pressure and the boot hold the rod in place.
Once it's loose like your is the piston inside is going to leak like crazy.

I can't find a good picture right now but the slave is only the casting, a spring, the piston and seal, the rod, and the boot. The rod sits in on side of the piston and is held there by the boot until you mount it against the clutch fork.

My question is how and why did the rod get off the fork

I don't know. I only pressed the clutch in to start the car. I heard a large "ping" and the pedal went to the floor.

The very tip of the rod looks bent. I'd guess it has been bending slowly and that last start was enough to bend it to the point that it could pop out of the fork. Or break the rod. Either way, it looks like it's just a new slave and clutch bleed, which is the best that you could ask for in this situation.

Definitely bleed all of that old fluid out of there. That looks horrifying.

I bought a new master and slave. Figured I ought to just replace both and call it a day. I'm pretty certain the rod in the slave is broke.

Nice write up Pauley. I hope to crawl underneath of it this weekend. The car has been to hell and back with previous owners so I can't factually say why it failed. I'll post pics of the slave once it's out of the car.

Culprit. I have no clue!

Image 2

I bought a new master and slave. Figured I ought to just replace both and call it a day. I'm pretty certain the rod in the slave is broke.
That's probably the best course of action. If you get any sort of odd issues when first applying pressure don't push it. Investigate before something breaks. You could still have a problem inside the bellhousing.
Make sure the fork only moves in one plane. If you can also move it up and down, stop there and drop the trans.

I'll have to crawl under it and see. No issues with new master and slave. Feels better than ever!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back