The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Ceddy mods and P0446

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kthackst

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 1, 2008
York, Pennsylvania
OK so I have a 96 talon awd and just installed a 98 ecu with ceddy mods. Runs great I have no issues with any of the power bands. I love it. However I have always had a EVAP solenoid issue (P0446) CEL. Now that I have to pass inspection I cant get it fixed. I have switch out from a 96 EVAP solenoid to a 97. Erased codes comes right back. I put a 98 EVAP solenoid in it, the one located below the IM, no change. I put the second 98 EVAP solenoid in the firewall location for the 96 EVAP solenoid, no change.

Now I am wondering since it is a 98 does it need both solenoids? the one by the front bumper and the one below the IM? If so where does the front bumper solenoid hook up to?
Does anyone know which ECU pin the 98 EVAP sensor by the front bumper goes into?

Sorry to hear. More than likely its bricked. I believe its from the connector and voltage.

Years ago when I first started messing with ecuflash, my laptop locked up and got blue screen of death in the middle of a flash. I sh** a brick cause my car wouldn't run at all. I was able to reflash it again and the car ran 100%. My point is, the code wasnt able to be completely written to the ecu and it didn't brink it. I was able to flash it again.

This leads me to believe its from the voltage. Tuning guides stress battery voltage should be 12+ volts when reflashing. You may be a little gun shy but if you're comfortable with the ecuflash/evoscan tuning method, I say stick with it.

Also, if you only want the P0446 code to stop and don't trust the emissions xml and hex, you can change the bits in the standard ceddymods to tell the ECU to stop doing the test that fails and throws the code.

In my experience with flashing a black box ecu, I have a crap Wal-Mart battery with an alternator that is consistently failing. Im still almost positive I don't get even close to 12 bolts before the car is started. And I've never had a flash issue.

And by different tune, that's what I meant, use a different tune, change some parameters, don't try the same tune that is revised with your coding

just want to add some info to this thread. The 98/99 evap solenoid has an oval plug on both the Spyder GS and GST and GSX. If you can't find a 98-99 GST/GSX solenoid which seem to be impossible to find since parts stores don't seem to sell new aftermarket pieces. The spyder GS solenoid seems to be easier to find and turns off code PO0446 although it is bigger. The 2000+ eclipse evap solenoid looks like the 98/99 GST/GSX solenoid but has a blue end and slightly bigger tubes does not work.

I am more concerned at the moment about how to add a wire/pin to the ecu. http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/1997-ecu-pin-79-reflash-install.504645/ , is my thread with no replays. When I get the next black box, I want to use the ecu pin connector I have to buy, to install the reflash connector. I have never added a pin to an ecu, does the back of the reflash wire get crimped into the ecu pin connector and then plugged into the ecu wire harness itself?

My new blackbox has arrived. I want to start from the beginning, after reinstalling ECUflash, which of theses ROMS do I use for a 1998 gsx blackbox? Why is there 2056008 and also a 20560010 in 1998 eclipse gsx? DO I just use ROM 20550011 even though I am using a 98 gsx?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-6_17-34-15.png
    upload_2016-7-6_17-34-15.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 78
My new blackbox has arrived. I want to start from the beginning, after reinstalling ECUflash, which of theses ROMS do I use for a 1998 gsx blackbox? Why is there 2056008 and also a 20560010 in 1998 eclipse gsx? DO I just use ROM 20550011 even though I am using a 98 gsx?

20550011 will work just fine, that is the one I used to flash my 98 GSX.

Thanks for the help guys, another place I get confused is in which 20550011 ROM to use? In ECUflash, I go to roms->Mitsubishi->eclipse and I have the normal 20550011 ROM (which is a BIN file), however I also have the CEDDYMOD file. If I open ceddymods in my Mitsubishi file, it has 20550011-mod-1v9Cb-MAF ROM (which is a HEX file)... DO I use the second ROM that's in the ceddymods file or the flat 20550011 ROM, I figure to use ceddymods ROM??? Why is one a bin file and the other a hex file? Here are the two screen shots, maybe it will help.

P0446 is Canister vent solenoid performance. The ecu isn't seeing the vacuum drop at the tank pressure sensor that it wants to. Either a clogged line or using the wrong ecu with the wrong pressure sensor. Or vise versa. You can change ecu or you can use the tank pressure sensor from the year of the ecu.

P0446 is Canister vent solenoid performance. The ecu isn't seeing the vacuum drop at the tank pressure sensor that it wants to. Either a clogged line or using the wrong ecu with the wrong pressure sensor. Or vise versa. You can change ecu or you can use the tank pressure sensor from the year of the ecu.

Yes, I am using a 98 ecu in a 97 car. That is the problem, I am really hoping I can use ceddy mods to turn off the signal for that sensor, or I will have to figure out how to add the two sensor set up that 98/99 cars use. However, I am just trying to get the car up and running at the moment, as I bricked my old ecu, and installing another 98 ecu. Trying to figure out which rom to use when flashing.

Why can't you just change the individual settings yourself instead of trying to run a ROM? You can the tactrix cable and ecu flash correct? If your just trying to get it up and running you could just change the parts of the maps and injector scaling yourself as needed.

Why can't you just change the individual settings yourself instead of trying to run a ROM? You can the tactrix cable and ecu flash correct? If your just trying to get it up and running you could just change the parts of the maps and injector scaling yourself as needed.

Do you mean, read the stock flash from the ecu, then change the injector flow and dead time, then flash that tune back on the ecu? I could, but then I wouldn't have any of ceedysmods, I love the knock sensor set up.

And yes, I have the tactirx cable and ecuflash, I have flashed tuned my car in the past.

I flashed my old ecu maybe 5 or some times, and from what I remember, I always used ceddys rom, from the very first flash. However, it was a while ago, and I honestly cant remember if I used the flat 20550011 rom (which I believe has ceddysmods) or if I used ceddy1vc9. I really cant remember, I cant figure out why they are two different file types, one is a HEX and one is a BIN. I am not a computer guy, I understand hardware, but I lack any real knowledge of software, just not my thing.

Thanks guys,

I installed my new backbox I order from a pick-n-pull out of Nevada. 91$ shipped, showed up in great shape, I installed and flashed a basic 560cc tune, worked great! Car runs great, however I do not have the knowledge to find in Ceddymods where to tell the car not to check for p0446. Is it in "Diagnostics" tab in ceddymods under obd2 table?

ECU periphery2 bits (292) and you will want to change bit.15 (top)
P0446 is the second one listed under bit 15
Sure enough, bit.15, second one over. Thank you so much. However, I went in and changed it's value to 0, reflashed car, and now I'm getting a po0505 code? Ill try to clear that code and see if it comes back. The car seemed to be idling fine idk.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back