The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

car only firing on two cylinders

kenneth

Probationary Member
Jan 17, 2011
cottondale, Alabama
im buying a car from a friend of mine and the car is only firing on 1 & 4 cylinders 2 & 3 dont even have fire coming from the coil even tho the coil has already been changed... any suggestions? thanks

2GFWDbeast

Proven Member
Jan 17, 2010
kenosha, Wisconsin
That issue usually is coil pack or power transistor or happen to have 2 bad spark plug wires

spawn87

Proven Member
Dec 6, 2007
sacramento, California
swap out the plug wires with the ones that do work (unplug it completely and swap it so to not change the firing order.) and with the car on, unplug wire from valve cover if you c ark then its the wire. if you dont its the coil.

do one at a time.

its a process of elimination.

2GFWDbeast

Proven Member
Jan 17, 2010
kenosha, Wisconsin
check the wires to the coil pack make sure there not cracked. But most likely when no spark in 2 cylinders power transistor burned out.

Maxter22

Probationary Member
Oct 19, 2010
Blaine, Minnesota
It's the ignition module. I'm 100 percent sure because mine was doing that also.

2GFWDbeast

Proven Member
Jan 17, 2010
kenosha, Wisconsin
Just because that was your problem, doesnt mean its his. Theres several things that could be wrong.

2GFWDbeast

Proven Member
Jan 17, 2010
kenosha, Wisconsin
I understand your trying to help maxter22, but dont say its 100% this. Cause if he goes out and buys it, and its not it then hes out x amount of dollars. Better to give out an idea of what it is. Unfortunately his problem could be several things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Feal Suspension Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com OHM Racing Raven Fabrication RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing SouthBay Fuel Injectors STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds